Suspension height adjustment tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaks

Reaction score
Right, I know this sounds daft, but any tips on a tool when adjusting the threaded collar height on the main shock body? Can be pretty stiff (don't really want to have to clean or oil the threads when out bashing)

Use pliers to loosen it then try to turn it by hand.
Edit: don’t do this, it will probably damage it. Use Simple Green spray and a toothbrush to clean it.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20211203-135340_Chrome.jpg
was wondering something like this
Screenshot_20211203-135340_Chrome.jpg
was wondering something like this

Not sure about a tool, but if you pull the spring down away from the collar with one hand it will greatly ease the tension off of it and it'll be easier to adjust even if it's dirty. That said, I'd recommend keeping a small can on something like PBblaster, Brakekeen, or even just canned air with you when you bash so you can quickly spray off the tower before you make adjustments. All that dirt and grime in there can eventually ruin your threads if you're just forcing the collar over it.

Pull the spring down just enough with one hand while turning the collar. Or just tuff it out! :p
Not sure about a tool, but if you pull the spring down away from the collar with one hand it will greatly ease the tension off of it and it'll be easier to adjust even if it's dirty. That said, I'd recommend keeping a small can on something like PBblaster, Brakekeen, or even just canned air with you when you bash so you can quickly spray off the tower before you make adjustments. All that dirt and grime in there can eventually ruin your threads if you're just forcing the collar over it.
damn I always type a second too slow! hahaha
Right, I know this sounds daft, but any tips on a tool when adjusting the threaded collar height on the main shock body? Can be pretty stiff (don't really want to have to clean or oil the threads when out bashing)
Have a small paint brush in your tool kit. comes in handy for all kinds of situations...like cleaning dirt from shock threads.

Yeah no....

You man up and use your fingers to adjust the spring retainer. Once you have them set its un-likely they will move much or at all..
Haha! In my defence, I've been taking the typhon down the track, and having to change from tarmac track, to offroad track with jump set ups, and winding basically the whole shock body length x4, in the rain, is annoying.

Haha! In my defence, I've been taking the typhon down the track, and having to change from tarmac track, to offroad track with jump set ups, and winding basically the whole shock body length x4, in the rain, is annoying.

Tune up a second set of shocks? Might be easier and quicker to swap in new shocks than to try to adjust the collar and measure 4x. Plus you might end up with something best tuned for each driving condition. Get a set of TLR Typhon shocks so you can tell them apart.

Tune up a second set of shocks? Might be easier and quicker to swap in new shocks than to try to adjust the collar and measure 4x. Plus you might end up with something best tuned for each driving condition. Get a set of TLR Typhon shocks so you can tell them apart.
Yeah been thinking the same (and changing out the shock tower??) athough hadn't thought of specifically the tlr ones- good idea

I personally use a toothbrush or small paintbrush for cleaning stuff up with pretty minimal effort. That would at least keep the collar a little cleaner. If nothing else, a rag would help you grip it and provide a barrier to your fingers without tearing up the collar.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 **** off! 😁
LoL
Ok on a serious note;
The trick I use is to pinch the spring coils together to take pressure off with one hand and turn the collar down with the other.

I can take I picture later when I get back to the house to better illiterate if need be.

LoL
Ok on a serious note;
The trick I use is to pinch the spring coils together to take pressure off with one hand and turn the collar down with the other.

I can take I picture later when I get back to the house to better illiterate if need be.a nah I get what you mean. That's wha

LoL
Ok on a serious note;

I can take I picture later when I get back to the house to better illiterate if need be.
Ha no its fine cheers bud. I get what you mean (and been doing that too)

Yeah been thinking the same (and changing out the shock tower??) athough hadn't thought of specifically the tlr ones- good idea

Maybe I'm not following the bit about changing out the shock tower? But as far as changing shocks go, for the bottom, undo the M3 screw and pull the pin out. For the top, unscrew the M3 nut and pull the shock off. The shock cap protector and pivot ball are annoying because they aren't captured. But maybe you can run the Tekno Shock cap bushings without a shock cap protector as these are captive so they won't fall out on you while you're changing them in the pit area.

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr8730-shock-cap-bushings-4pcs-requires-tkr8727/

Maybe I'm not following the bit about changing out the shock tower? But as far as changing shocks go, for the bottom, undo the M3 screw and pull the pin out. For the top, unscrew the M3 nut and pull the shock off. The shock cap protector and pivot ball are annoying because they aren't captured. But maybe you can run the Tekno Shock cap bushings without a shock cap protector as these are captive so they won't fall out on you while you're changing them in the pit area.

https://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr8730-shock-cap-bushings-4pcs-requires-tkr8727/
Cool, thanks man (and the tip on the Tekno cap).

There seems to be some controversy over whether those tlr shocks are any different to the v5 (and whether would need different towers) apart from the branding (I thought they were different). But it sounds like they are the same.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/typhon-tlr-tuned-shocks-internals-vs-v5.44518/#post-617640

I can't find the tlr for sale in the UK anyway! So I'll head over to the suspension section for what would work. Thanks for the help.
LoL
Ok on a serious note;

Ps. I've ordered one of those tools. Youll be laughing on the other side of your face when my suspension is dropping faster than your mum's p******

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back