Mojave Suspension question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean 1978

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
When driving over a bump at a fast speed the rear end of my Mojave will flip over the front landing the truck on its back. I don't see a reason why this should be happening. The bumps are not huge and to me should be soaked up by the suspension. How should I start adjusting suspension to fix this? I am thinking that the rear of the chassis may be hitting the bump. Would this be a spring or shock oil change to fix?

I’m preferring the handling after changing shock oil to 1000cst. I also do small high speed jumps and I’m not seeing frontflips🤣.
I drop my cars from about one feet and two feet and see how the suspension handles reacts (does chassis hit the ground and is there a nice rebound).
You can change shock oil, shock spring preload and/or the springs themselves. FYI I’m still running stock springs and only ‘tuned’ the shock preload and shock oil thickness.

Sounds like your rear shocks are set a bit too stiff.. How much preload are they set at? What oil wt are you using??

Any photos of your current suspension setup?

It's all stock EXB model. Haven't changed anything. Chassis definitely hits bottom from 3 ft drop. Rebound seems on the slower side to me but it isn't terrible. I dropped 5-6 times before thinking that.
It squats when I accelerate.
It squats when I accelerate.

Thickening the front shock oil and spring rate will also help with rear kick up 👍

I've used 1000 cSt front and 800 cSt rear (80w and 70w)

Ty that looks very familiar.
Almost identical to the behavior of mine.
How much weight have you added with upgrades over an RTR Mojave? More weight = more force to damp so thicker shock oil is a good start. If you have added a lot of weight you may need stiffer springs as well.The Mojave is also set up to “look scale“ when running so it’s damped and sprung a bit lighter than I think you want for optimal handlino.

How much weight have you added with upgrades over an RTR Mojave? More weight = more force to damp so thicker shock oil is a good start. If you have added a lot of weight you may need stiffer springs as well.The Mojave is also set up to “look scale“ when running so it’s damped and sprung a bit lighter than I think you want for optimal handlino.
Honestly I don't know. I have a 2050 kv motor 150 Amp esc 2 3s smart batteries and the fender kit and a light bar. I don't think it would be too much heavier.
23 tooth pinion stock spur gear.
Honestly I don't know. I have a 2050 kv motor 150 Amp esc 2 3s smart batteries and the fender kit and a light bar. I don't think it would be too much heavier.
Yeah racing motor cooling system with two fans

Yeah racing motor cooling system with two fans
Shouldn’t be much heavier. Thicker shock oil will probably sort it out.

If you look closely you see that the rear suspension is still suppressed from the bump before. At 25 seconds and at 5 seconds. The compressed rear shocks can not dampen the next bump in any way. As the rear shocks are just about to move out the rear axle hits the next object. So the rear shocks have no damping effect in that moment. Or only a part of the shock length to work with.

That is what makes hitting numerous bumps after each other tricky to drive. On most tracks you have a little double bump on top of a big bump that need some throttle-skill so you don't front flip.

The next problem is when you hit an obstacle with full throttle. There is no way you can correct the nose attitude down that way. Best is to hit an obstacle at 1/2 to 2/3 of throttle so you can at least correct a bit.

Last edited:
Try limiting the travel of the shocks so they don't bottom out. I just inserted spacers/nuts along the piston rod so that the chassis wouldnt touch the ground (about 5mm from the ground). I kept my shock oils stock. Rides perfect!!

Try limiting the travel of the shocks so they don't bottom out. I just inserted spacers/nuts along the piston rod so that the chassis wouldnt touch the ground (about 5mm from the ground). I kept my shock oils stock. Rides perfect!!
Do you have a pic of your shocks with spacers?

You mentioned nuts as an option. Wouldn't those dent or harm the shocks?
My friend had this problem with his Mojave, we did some slo-mo videos to diagnose it, it shows that the rears bottoms out easily and flips the car.
What helped him was to go to thicker shock oil in the rears. I think he went to 800cst
I'm happy I found this thread. This is exactly what I've noted my MEXB does too.

20220712_144430.jpg

I added a flat washer to protect the piston cap. Been running this setup for a while now with no problems so far. I seldom do jumps though. Im nore into speed runs.
I used 2 nuts and a washer at the rear and 1 nut and washer up front. I also reduced the droop so it runs lower and more stable at high speed turns.

Last edited:
View attachment 229246
I added a flat washer to protect the piston cap. Been running this setup for a while now with no problems so far. I seldom do jumps though. Im nore into speed runs.
I used 2 nuts and a washer at the rear and 1 nut and washer up front. I also reduced the droop so it runs lower and more stable at high speed turns.
Another option would be to put a small piece (cut it to the desired length) of RC fuel tube on the shaft.

I was just looking for this type of info.

Been reading allot on Shock Springs and Oil. I learing lots and I understand but Im starting to think this info is written for lighter weight 2S cars? Mostly?
My 3S Typhon responds to what I read BUT the 6S Typhon truggy wont. Ive doubled the suggested weight oils and am now getting results that are more similar to the 3S. I also changed the stock piston in the rear to the same as the front then doubled the oil weight.
I then changed to a Mojave 6S EXB rear shock with the Typhon Springs. 800cst. Stock Rear Typhon shocks (in front) with 1000cst.
(Stock 6S: Front: 550cst 1x2x8 pistons / Rear: 550cst 1x4x8 pistons)

From what I read this Isn't (shouldn't be) so good for bumpy and short jumps yet it greatly improved high speed grass runs and bashing for me. Solid on the road too. Much less wheelies and more so able to reach full throttle. Even on grass.

I want a Mojave 6S type car too. Ill either buy one or turn my Typhon into one for fun and when im done bashing grass.

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.09.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.10.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.10.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-12 at 8.10.01 PM.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back