Suspension setup for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faffy123

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
After some suspension setup advice or tips for speed runs. How do you guys set yours? Tower mounting positions, oil weight, droop and limiters on the shafts etc? Cheers

Going by your avitar,

I don't do speed runs, yet. But.
Lower it (like 10-15mm ride height) back off the preload collars, shorter or softer springs if necessary.
Stock oil is probably fine.
Run a few mm less height in front than rear.
Probably use innermost mounting holes.
3-5mm droop.
Small tubing on shock shafts to limit compression so chassis doesn't kiss the pavement.
I believe in suspension that works.
Narrower tires & disc style wheels, maybe GRP 1/5 scale. (Narrower helps reduce frontal area) along with some friction.
(0) Front camber
Upper arms clear back on the inner pivot (maximum positive caster) helps stability.
(0) Front toe (or just a fuzz out)
(0) rear camber, to start but 2-3 degrees negative may be faster due to there being a fair amount of rear toe in (less rubber on the road may help relieve some of the scrub created by the toe in)
Typhon front and rear diff gears (pinion/crown) 13/43 would be same as going up 4 teeth on the motor pinion (help compensate for the shorter tires)
Diff oil, maybe like 30-50k F & R, 200-500k center.
Lighten it up as much as possible (weight is not your friend) so no large battery pack.
Lower the body if possible. Maybe Typhon shock towers (lower and narrower)
No front bumper, extend the front of the body down close to the pavement.
Probably no rear wing (it's hard to say what effect it really has) probably more cosmetic than actually doing anything useful.
Motor it up & gear it up.
Have fun.

P.S.
If it doesn't work,,,, I will call you. ?

@2fast4u thanks for your response. So upper arms positioned away from shock tower with spacers in front? Was going to try 100k/300k/100k on the diffs. Have limited shock travel to pretty much zero at rear but more upfront

@2fast4u thanks for your response. So upper arms positioned away from shock tower with spacers in front? Was going to try 100k/300k/100k on the diffs. Have limited shock travel to pretty much zero at rear but more upfront

You're welcome. That's a yes on spacers in the front. That tilts the steering axis back at the top which is an increase in posative caster. It increases straight line stability. The diff oils will be fine. As I stated previously, I Believe in suspension that works so I would want both compression and extension. I would probably want both ends to be very close to the same so they are more balanced. I would set the ride height slightly lower in the front (in an effort to keep airflow underneath from turning that big flat chassis into a kite) and then set the droop the same front and rear or possibly a little less droop in the front than the rear (a little less droop in front will help keep it from wanting to lift)

@2fast4u cheers. By the way it's not for the Outcast in my avatar pic it's a senton 6s I have. Running a max 8 combo i had 74mph with stock 50 tooth spur and 21 tooth pinion with sweep evo wheels and protoform shell. Just got a 40 tooth spur to fit in centre and will try 23 tooth pinion to start see how that goes

@2fast4u cheers. By the way it's not for the Outcast in my avatar pic it's a senton 6s I have. Running a max 8 combo i had 74mph with stock 50 tooth spur and 21 tooth pinion with sweep evo wheels and protoform shell. Just got a 40 tooth spur to fit in centre and will try 23 tooth pinion to start see how that goes

Sweet !
That gear change should make a big difference. Post up with your results.

Sweet !
That gear change should make a big difference. Post up with your results.
Will do. What sort of difference do you think I can expect from going down 10teeth on spur and up 2 on pinion? Hoping to test tomorrow if possible just final setup to get right this evening

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back