suspension tuning tips and tricks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My driveway pavement has some "woops & jumps" from tree roots pushing it up in some spots.
What's the best setup for suspension to help prevent the rear from kicking up?
Any advice will be appreciated:)
Typhon I'm guessing? My brother has one, same issues.. Strangely my Xray buggy doesn't exhibit that behavior, luckily. Not sure what gives, but in my case it's likely luck since I haven't actually done any "setup" with the Xray.. thanks @21STalion , we'll give your suggestion a try too.👍

Typhon I'm guessing? My brother has one, same issues.. Strangely my Xray buggy doesn't exhibit that behavior, luckily. Not sure what gives, but in my case it's likely luck since I haven't actually done any "setup" with the Xray.. thanks @21STalion , we'll give your suggestion a try too.👍
Yep the Typhon.
I'm gonna do what @21STalion suggested also and see if it helps. In my case it could be that the driver sucks. :ROFLMAO:

Yep the Typhon.
I'm gonna do what @21STalion suggested also and see if it helps. In my case it could be that the driver sucks. :ROFLMAO:
Nope, definitely not you..unless my bro sucks at driving too🤔 well, maybe? HaHa just messin with ya! I find small tire rigs are harder to jump in general since we don't get the gyro effect to correct them in air.

I would bet thicker oil in rear shocks should help too. I promise I'm no racer or guru..heck, I've been called an idiot more than anything! 😁
But seems to me that either its bottoming out and springing on take off, or possibly the springs are to stiff, causing it to bounce on take off..
One thing I do know is that you should only change one thing at a time, and test after each change is made. Otherwise..well, you'll be chasing your tail, pun intended😁

Having a private racetrack with transponder mylaps system is a god send. If you don't have a way to consistently test, you are just guessing.

I would have never been able to tune the car if I didn't have that.

It's like trying to tune to make more horsepower without using a dyno if you don't have a track

Having a private racetrack with transponder mylaps system is a god send. If you don't have a way to consistently test, you are just guessing.

I would have never been able to tune the car if I didn't have that.

It's like trying to tune to make more horsepower without using a dyno if you don't have a track
I bet! What's the cost? I have a track at the house that my brother and I race around on. We've talked about a timing system for just such purposes.
.. okay, so I just did a quick search on the mylaps system and uh, well..nope. We aren't that serious. No disrespect but $3500? Wow!

Last edited:
Man I just ran my Lasernut and I know it's a whole other animal but man I love how she soaks up the bumps and how smooth she launches.
I'm gonna keep tinkering with the Typhon till I can get her as close as possible to the Lasernut.
(I know will never be the same but close will make me happy)

Man I just ran my Lasernut and I know it's a whole other animal but man I love how she soaks up the bumps and how smooth she launches.
I'm gonna keep tinkering with the Typhon till I can get her as close as possible to the Lasernut.
(I know will never be the same but close will make me happy)
Yeah, the 'nut does drive pretty sweet. I'm awaiting some hub carriers to fix my uh "brothers" right now..it's a cool rig for sure, a little fragile tho IMO.

I bet! What's the cost? I have a track at the house that my brother and I race around on. We've talked about a timing system for just such purposes.
.. okay, so I just did a quick search on the mylaps system and uh, well..nope. We aren't that serious. No disrespect but $3500? Wow!
Yeah I think we're into that track for about $30k CAD or so. Plus hundreds of unpaid volunteer hours.....

It's a labour of love, hard to put a price on the therapy it provides.

We got load of older guys that use the track for therapeutic purposes actually.
It's not terribly big, it's race legal for 1/10th scale but we also do 1/8th buggy just fine.

We couldn't do a sanctioned race at 1/8th scale unfortunately.

Screenshot_20220902-134139__01.jpg

Screenshot_20220902-134211.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I think we're into that track for about $30k CAD or so. Plus hundreds of unpaid volunteer hours.....

It's not terribly big, it's race legal for 1/10th scale but we also do 1/8th buggy just fine.

We couldn't do a sanctioned race at 1/8th though scale unfortunately.
Indeed, a labor of love. I'd be interested in something like that, just not at my house. I like my privacy too much..heck,my brother doesn't even come out to run unless I'm home. I told him to, but running it alone is boring.

We couldn't do a sanctioned race at 1/8th scale unfortunately.

View attachment 240857

View attachment 240858
UNREAL!!!:love:

My rigs would love those trees so much that they would meet them head on. :ROFLMAO:

UNREAL!!!:love:

My rigs would love those trees so much that they would meet them head on. :ROFLMAO:
No joke man, the jumps are built over and around the tree roots, those trees are like 60' tall.

You don't hit the tree directly, you hit the piping in front of them. It's a hard track. We have a lot of pros and they always need change their setup to be more nimble.

I would assume softer springs and shock pistons with additional holes would allow the shock to travel faster and soak up those bumps better....
Guys who get serious about that stuff generally swap the shocks for Losi or other race brand shocks.

@21STalion
Got some droop screws as the stock ones suck.
Cant wait to start tuning the suspension.
Thanks for the tip!
View attachment 245354
Those are amazing, was on backorder for SO long I only got mine a month or two ago. Others at the track were pretty jealous, those are a really nice upgrade.

Actually just checked and I have these on the MP10E, used m2c for Arrma

Screenshot_20220923-130240.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back