Suspension upgrades for Nero?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt my Nero shocks into basically red versions of the Big Rock HD shocks and they work well. I bought the longer shock shafts, Arrma was out of stock at the time so I went with Team Durango but same exact part. Added the Hobao ends and cups, went with Team Durango springs (75 length) and mounted them as recommended on the site to an inner hole. Also waiting for another run from GKA of the rocker mounts so I can get a couple sets for my trucks. Need those to finish off the suspension but love the shock setup. Oh forgot to add I swapped the shock caps for metal Team Durango caps with bleed valves.

I rebuilt my Nero shocks into basically red versions of the Big Rock HD shocks and they work well. I bought the longer shock shafts, Arrma was out of stock at the time so I went with Team Durango but same exact part. Added the Hobao ends and cups, went with Team Durango springs (75 length) and mounted them as recommended on the site to an inner hole. Also waiting for another run from GKA of the rocker mounts so I can get a couple sets for my trucks. Need those to finish off the suspension but love the shock setup. Oh forgot to add I swapped the shock caps for metal Team Durango caps with bleed valves.
What is the part number for the Team Durango metal shock caps? I have been looking for a metal shock cap, but had not yet found anything. Thank you in advance.

Hi, sorry I forgot to include that:

Basically any part for the TD DESC10 rear shocks will match the big rock shock. Nice part is their are some options not available through Arrma like the metal caps and foam filler inserts. The caps are cheap right now on tower. Part numbers attached.

Attachments

• SmartSelectImage_2018-02-22-16-24-20.jpg
    SmartSelectImage_2018-02-22-16-24-20.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 93
Also just to share some more info for anyone who wants it. I did a bunch of research before I went and ordered parts for my shocks. Basically the TD Big Bore 16mm shocks have a lot of swapable parts that you can use with the Nero ,Fazon or Big Rock. One of the catches is of course the the vehicles are different so you need to know if you are setting out to just upgrade stock dimensions like the Nero shocks which have shorted parts or are trying to get extra length like the Big Rock. I took the opportunity to build everything around the Big Rock dimensions as my guide. If it was the Nero shaft before, I replaced it with the TD shaft for the DESC10 rear shock giving me the dimensions of a Big Rock. Same with the boots. The caps are great like I said and you get choices for soft or medium diaphrams, different o rings, compression foam for the top of the bleeder caps, ets. Now the other thing to mention is the DEX8, DNX8 and DEX8T all have 16mm shock parts that will work as well but you need to be careful and watch the length. You don't want to get a really short stroke part for the front shock for the Buggy and put it on a Big Rock unless you are trying g to lower it. Of Course you could rebuild the shocks into DEX8T rears and have something even bigger than what comes with the Big Rock which would allow for more adjustment.

be careful, and make sure your giving tested info, I tried kyosho shafts, just off a hair, pistons as well, I don't know what they did or didn't do, but the measurements aren't dead on, I actually have a very well known source in 1/8 offload racing scene as far as shocks looking into this at this very moment, I shipped a body/rod/piston a week ago, interesting discovery......

pics and report to follow in like a week, in suspension area...

@Tblazin, appreciateice the advice and yes I only put out tested info myself. I am actually not much for forums in general but found this one to be made up of such helpful individuals looking to enjoy the hobby and pass along knowledge that I actually joined and found myself posting regularly which is far out of my norm. With that said i tend to post a fair amount of detail on what I'm working on so anyone reading knows its custom or direct swap and can decide to do the same based on their skillset and comfort level. Also I am always happy to answer any questions on anything I am working on or have done. I found the other members of this forum to be the same way towards me and want to do my part to contribute. I really think Woody started something special here as opposed to some of the other sites that have similar content . Anyway iiwill more specifically address the Team Durango shock info that I have personal experience with in another reply as to not make this one any longer and hopefully that will clarify what level of risk is involved with the parts from that company.

Arrma shock and Team Durango shocks:
I tried the shock parts myself which are direct replacement in some cases and optional upgrades in others. The reason this is possible is that Team Durango is part of ARRMA hence the ARRMA Durango Ltd. Team Durango offers race kits versions of many of the Arrma products actually. The DESC10 is basically a Senton, the DEX8 is basically a Typhon and the DEX8T is basically a Kraton. Some parts are different for racing and not great for bashing and some are reinforced for racing and perfect for bashing as well. Also many of the kits offer optional upgrade parts. Team Durango has a spread sheet that lists all models, parts and if they are standard or optional by model which is a great referefer. The models I referenced above all have big bore shocks that are 16mm. The DESC10 rears in particular are the 16x52mm body (td330761) with 63mm shaft (td330762) that the Big Rock has all around. Based on that I decided to use the other TD parts to upgrade my ARRMA shocks except for the springs and spring cups. The reason is the TD springs for racing are all too low force for me for suck a heavy truck so went with Big Rock parts there and went with Big Rock HD cups and end for the one set of shocks and Haobo for my other set. I like both and have no issue with either. The rest of the parts are all TD. Some seem to be exactly the same item as the ARRMA parts like the shock seal o-rings (td330099) and other parts are options not available through ARRMA as far as I know like the metal shock caps (td330810), volume comp foam for the cap (td330301), and soft or medium shock diaphrams (td330589 or 330682). Of course look at the exploded view files to see what else you may want or need, you can get different length shock boots, bodies, and shafts for the DEXT but I haven't experimented with that yet for more lift. It's on my future to do list to try. Again the criss ref chart on the site is helpful and buying the completed shocks and swapping springs is always an option as well. Just be mindful of the model and if they are front or rear since they are different lengths. I hope this helps clarify info and what I used that works.
Mark

Thanks for the info I'll try it

Quick edit/note to add to my post about the parts I used. I just realized that since I built my trucks from parts to include the shock, I am not 100% sure that the ARRMA shock body part number works with the Team Durango Shock Cap. I built mine with the Team Durango Shock Bodies and Shock Caps plus the other TD parts mentioned above mixed with the ARRMA HD parts. It looks and measures out the same as the Big Rock shocks and and Red ones are ARRMAs that I extended using TD parts. I don't actually have ARRMA shock bodies anymore so don't want to say that the caos are a definite now that I remembered what bodies I bought. I will take apart when I get a chance and try to confirm for wveryone

Quick edit/note to add to my post about the parts I used. I just realized that since I built my trucks from parts to include the shock, I am not 100% sure that the ARRMA shock body part number works with the Team Durango Shock Cap. I built mine with the Team Durango Shock Bodies and Shock Caps plus the other TD parts mentioned above mixed with the ARRMA HD parts. It looks and measures out the same as the Big Rock shocks and and Red ones are ARRMAs that I extended using TD parts. I don't actually have ARRMA shock bodies anymore so don't want to say that the caos are a definite now that I remembered what bodies I bought. I will take apart when I get a chance and try to confirm for wveryone

Are you using the stock springs or Durango ones? The suspension geometry and the heavy weight of the nero are why it uses those heavy springs. Curious how it would work with a lighter durango spring.

I can confirm that the Team Durango TD330810 shock caps do not fit either Kraton or Nero shock bodies. Too small of thread. All current arrma 1/8 scale caps fit the nero though.

Also just to share some more info for anyone who wants it. I did a bunch of research before I went and ordered parts for my shocks. Basically the TD Big Bore 16mm shocks have a lot of swapable parts that you can use with the Nero ,Fazon or Big Rock. One of the catches is of course the the vehicles are different so you need to know if you are setting out to just upgrade stock dimensions like the Nero shocks which have shorted parts or are trying to get extra length like the Big Rock. I took the opportunity to build everything around the Big Rock dimensions as my guide. If it was the Nero shaft before, I replaced it with the TD shaft for the DESC10 rear shock giving me the dimensions of a Big Rock. Same with the boots. The caps are great like I said and you get choices for soft or medium diaphrams, different o rings, compression foam for the top of the bleeder caps, ets. Now the other thing to mention is the DEX8, DNX8 and DEX8T all have 16mm shock parts that will work as well but you need to be careful and watch the length. You don't want to get a really short stroke part for the front shock for the Buggy and put it on a Big Rock unless you are trying g to lower it. Of Course you could rebuild the shocks into DEX8T rears and have something even bigger than what comes with the Big Rock which would allow for more adjustment.
What weight shock oil would you suggest for a nero I jump with?

Do you happen to know the part number for the hoboa ends?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back