Suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulberryman

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Hi Guys

I am after people's thoughts on suspension set up and oil weight, basically I want to get the car as low as possible for fast tarmac runs with road tyres - probably the Louise ones - basically lower than the standard setup will allow me too currently - my ideas where ;

1) what about removing the shock spring ring adjuster - that will give me another 5-10mm , I know the spring would.then rest on the shock cap and it may wear out quicker?

2) shock oil - can someone explain the oil weight system and ratings for me ? Ie. If I out a lower weight in will it sit lower but move more ?

3) springs - again if I put a softer spring on will it sit lower but be more spongy ? I have looked on the arrma website and I can't find any shorter ones just stiffer/softer ?

Any thoughts welcome !

Springs give it ride height, so does pre-load. Shock oils are only there as a dampener. The heavier you go in oil, the slower it moves through the holes in the piston giving you a slow rebound, however, with a strong spring it could rebound perfectly. Piston holes are also dampeners, large holes allow more fluid to run though faster even with heavier oils where as smaller holes even with light fluid might be a slow dampener. A heavy spring with light oil and big holes in the pistons will make it springy and rebound too fast. Those are a few different shock extremes. You have to find your middle in which you like.. The stock oil is a bit thick in this truck IMO. I drilled out one hole in each piston to allow the fluid to run through it easier and I also used the stock springs with 0 pre load. That's my liking for ride height, bones are parallel with the ground.(y)

Now, there is a difference between springy and making it bounce off the ground and/VS sending it 50 feet in the air, landing perfectly and it still bouncing like a basket ball.. ;)

I'm no expert but I have heard of people zip tying the suspension down to lower the vehicle. I'm sure some of the other members can explain it better than I can or if it is even an option. Good luck

I'm no expert but I have heard of people zip tying the suspension down to lower the vehicle. I'm sure some of the other members can explain it better than I can or if it is even an option. Good luck

Some guys would do that to lower it maybe for speed runs but that's mainly used to as a droop setting for those vehicles that do not have droop screws in the A-arms. (Droop is how far the arms fall down when you get air) Setting the droop properly will take the stress and pressure off the shock rod ends and piston. When you get air the shocks fully extend and the end point of that extension is the piston bottoming out in the shock body or shock rod end that stops the arms from dropping. When you set a droop screw you want to put the pressure of the spring downforce plus the weight of the arms and tires on the chassis ultimately setting the end point pressure on the chassis instead of the piston or rod end.

Has the kraton 8s got a droop screw ?

I have removed the shock absorber adjusting ring to see what it looks like and it sits a further 10 mm lower all round although when you lift it up now the spring floats loose at the top but is seated in the perch at the bottom ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200510_185346.jpg
    IMG_20200510_185346.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 41
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back