Typhon SWB 328mm Speed Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, this is embarrassing…. Let me provide an eleven month update.
Every component from A to Z still resides in a box on a shelf waiting to see the light of day. There were initially some delays in starting the build. I changed the hobby room around to give my wife some more space. Then I did the other “conventional” Typhon based street build. Then there was the flood. Then I renovated most of that level. And so forth, and so on. If you’re rolling your eyes you’re right to do so. After all is said and done, I’ve had several opportunities to do the build but have either chosen to do something different at the time or nothing whatsoever. Now I’m just waiting for @Diem Turner to return before I start it. 😊 Just kidding of course, but we went back and forth a lot before I moved forward with anything and bouncing ideas off his awesome brain was a really big help in the planning stages. I’ve heard he’ll be returning soon.
I‘ll work on getting this project back on a front burner. Revisiting this thread has definitely rekindled my excitement a bit. I really do believe it‘s going to be awesome!
I get it, life gets in the way sometimes but what can you do? I finally have my build "complete"(just sent Scorched another email begging for those CVDs). But the body is done, the rc is.....well the build is done but it's rather incomplete without an esc. Still waiting for Castle to make me an XLX2 and send it. Missed this months chance at ROTM and thats just too bad because there is a C8 to go up against with my C7. Still, your build will be very interesting to follow as it looks to be as custom as custom gets.

I emailed them a few days ago asking if they could do a typhon chassis with centered driveline and they said no custom orders at this time 😞

I emailed them a few days ago asking if they could do a typhon chassis with centered driveline and they said no custom orders at this time 😞
If you are capable, cut your own. All you need is their front kick up bracket. I did mine centered and exact swb length but GT style 3 inches wider. Granted, Scorched's will look better. If only I had a CNC I would do my own version of what Traxxas did with the XO-11 and incorporate some angled cuts to direct air inside for cooling.
20230414_181744.jpg

If you are capable, cut your own. All you need is their front kick up bracket. I did mine centered and exact swb length but GT style 3 inches wider. Granted, Scorched's will look better. If only I had a CNC I would do my own version of what Traxxas did with the XO-11 and incorporate some angled cuts to direct air inside for cooling.View attachment 328259
I think he just wants to center the motor mount. I say, make a template and drill some holes. No big thing.

I think he just wants to center the motor mount. I say, make a template and drill some holes. No big thing.
If centering is all he wants, it's been done already as you said. Simple enough. There are threads on it even, for tips etc...

20230526_225356.jpg

If centering is all he wants, it's been done already as you said. Simple enough. There are threads on it even, for tips etc...

View attachment 328309
Agreed, and well worth the effort IMO.
Also, in case you’re not hitting your speed goals, I noticed in your picture the utter lack of a pinion gear. I’d highly recommend one, they help a lot. You’re welcome. 😊
But seriously dude, you have an epic build there and your problem solving approach was defined and implemented by you, on your work bench. Respect. You not only flipped the motor mount, you centered it and still made room for everything in a SWB chassis. It ain’t easy when the real estate gets as packed as Times Square on New Years Eve.

Agreed, and well worth the effort IMO.
Also, in case you’re not hitting your speed goals, I noticed in your picture the utter lack of a pinion gear. I’d highly recommend one, they help a lot. You’re welcome. 😊
But seriously dude, you have an epic build there and your problem solving approach was defined and implemented by you, on your work bench. Respect. You not only flipped the motor mount, you centered it and still made room for everything in a SWB chassis. It ain’t easy when the real estate gets as packed as Times Square on New Years Eve.
I should have sent that pic in to Castle. Told them I was getting excessive load beeps after a motor test. Literally zero load. I've since replaced that "floating battery mount" for the HR one I modified for side by side that was in the EXB 8s Senton. See how close the corners turned out? I used automotive wheel weights to bring the LR up to par. FIngers crossed I get my esc before snow hits. Currently I'm looking for some bigger aluminum beadlocks to spike without tires for some lake runs this winter.

Currently I'm looking for some bigger aluminum beadlocks to spike without tires for some lake runs this winter.
I think that will void the warranty! 😂

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back