Typhon SWB 328mm Speed Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Well, here we go…. This one might take awhile, so if you follow the build I appreciate your patience. I contacted David from Scorched at the end of September with a detailed wish list for a SWB speed chassis that incorporated the rear Lim diffuser. Instead of incorporating the front Lim splitter assembly it was done in the “Full Length” chassis configuration like the FL “Special” Lim chassis he did a few months ago. Totally flat from front to rear. So here is a SWB chassis that can take full advantage of proper aero for the first time. I am so psyched for this build!
3544E0E7-87BB-4481-B8F9-023F36F07A8F.jpeg

BE719EB4-BBD2-44DF-89A6-F0FC9E77A11E.jpeg

Also of note, if you noticed it’s 328mm instead of the Arrma SWB 325mm it’s because the motor mount is positioned so the spool is centered in the chassis and not offset in order to reduce the high misalignment center shaft orientation of the short chassis Arrmas.

Well, here we go…. This one might take awhile, so if you follow the build I appreciate your patience. I contacted David from Scorched at the end of September with a detailed wish list for a SWB speed chassis that incorporated the rear Lim diffuser. Instead of incorporating the front Lim splitter assembly it was done in the “Full Length” chassis configuration like the FL “Special” Lim chassis he did a few months ago. Totally flat from front to rear. So here is a SWB chassis that can take full advantage of proper aero for the first time. I am so psyched for this build!
View attachment 264353

View attachment 264354
Also of note, if you noticed it’s 328mm instead of the Arrma SWB 325mm it’s because the motor mount is positioned so the spool is centered in the chassis and not offset in order to reduce the high misalignment center shaft orientation of the short chassis Arrmas.

WOW!

Finally, we get to see this thing!!!
I know that tons of thought and research has gone into this build. Looking forward to it!!!
Yes it has, sir! David at Scorched produced this thing to the absolute letter of what I requested. Center spool alignment, full length, and it takes the rear diffuser. I’m going to go crazy on this thing. That said…
I feel like a bit of a carpetbagger here. I’ve pirated the expertise and experience of everyone here that was good enough to tutor me and relieve me of my ignorance on many levels. And I’m still harboring a good amount of inexperience as I embark on this, so any criticisms are totally welcome and hugely appreciated.
Many thanks, especially to @LibertyMKiii , @Diem Turner , and @K-BASH .
This feels like an Oscar speech, and there are several other folks here that have provided a lot of knowledge as well that I don’t wish to not mention. Long story short, there are many members of AF who are pretty much giants in speed running and I’ve gleaned so much knowledge here it’s ridiculous. So thank you for everyone being so gracious and sharing your knowledge. This is going to be freaking awesome, man! (Until I crash the heck out of it….😬)

Yes it has, sir! David at Scorched produced this thing to the absolute letter of what I requested. Center spool alignment, full length, and it takes the rear diffuser. I’m going to go crazy on this thing. That said…
I feel like a bit of a carpetbagger here. I’ve pirated the expertise and experience of everyone here that was good enough to tutor me and relieve me of my ignorance on many levels. And I’m still harboring a good amount of inexperience as I embark on this, so any criticisms are totally welcome and hugely appreciated.
Many thanks, especially to @LibertyMKiii , @Diem Turner , and @K-BASH .
This feels like an Oscar speech, and there are several other folks here that have provided a lot of knowledge as well that I don’t wish to not mention. Long story short, there are many members of AF who are pretty much giants in speed running and I’ve gleaned so much knowledge here it’s ridiculous. So thank you for everyone being so gracious and sharing your knowledge. This is going to be freaking awesome, man! (Until I crash the heck out of it….😬)
That chassis is amazing,imo the centered M-mount would be Ideal,less friction on cup/shafts an rpm robbing vibrations.will also help with weight distribution,it'll move motor to to the left...mine is heavy to the right with 1000ish grams of packs..can move everything more to the driver's side👍

So this has been languishing for almost a month now. My hobby space is now completely broken down with everything boxed up as I convert the room into a dual use area so my wife can also enjoy the space. If my phone doesn’t ring off the hook I hope to have everything completed and my “shop” set up this week, and then resume the two builds I have going, this being one of them. I’m totally chomping at the bit to get this thing rolling! At least I realize I have a minimum of 2-1/2 to 3 months before our New England winter decides to pack its bags, so…”patience, Grasshopper.” It’s my new mantra.

Damn, this is almost what I've done, except a step further. Nice to know Scorched can and will accommodate requests. I should have sent more emails for the Ti CVD shafts for my Senton GT build. If i was going to spend money on this, Id rather they came from the guys doing it from the start. Not sure you needed the extra 3mm though. I kept my holes consistent with the ARRMA SWB chassis and even though I flipped the center around, a pleasant surprise was less back and forth movement between cups of the center shafts. Then again, I'm sure there is a reason for it. Those guys really think outside the box with these things.

Now enough of that. What happened to this build?

Wow, this is embarrassing…. Let me provide an eleven month update.
Every component from A to Z still resides in a box on a shelf waiting to see the light of day. There were initially some delays in starting the build. I changed the hobby room around to give my wife some more space. Then I did the other “conventional” Typhon based street build. Then there was the flood. Then I renovated most of that level. And so forth, and so on. If you’re rolling your eyes you’re right to do so. After all is said and done, I’ve had several opportunities to do the build but have either chosen to do something different at the time or nothing whatsoever. Now I’m just waiting for @Diem Turner to return before I start it. 😊 Just kidding of course, but we went back and forth a lot before I moved forward with anything and bouncing ideas off his awesome brain was a really big help in the planning stages. I’ve heard he’ll be returning soon.
I‘ll work on getting this project back on a front burner. Revisiting this thread has definitely rekindled my excitement a bit. I really do believe it‘s going to be awesome!

Wow, this is embarrassing…. Let me provide an eleven month update.
Every component from A to Z still resides in a box on a shelf waiting to see the light of day. There were initially some delays in starting the build. I changed the hobby room around to give my wife some more space. Then I did the other “conventional” Typhon based street build. Then there was the flood. Then I renovated most of that level. And so forth, and so on.
If you’re rolling your eyes you’re right to do so. After all is said and done, I’ve had several opportunities to do the build but have either chosen to do something different at the time or nothing whatsoever. Now I’m just waiting for @Diem Turner to return before I start it. 😊 Just kidding of course, but we went back and forth a lot before I moved forward with anything and bouncing ideas off his awesome brain was a really big help in the planning stages. I’ve heard he’ll be returning soon.
I‘ll work on getting this project back on a front burner. Revisiting this thread has definitely rekindled my excitement a bit. I really do believe it‘s going to be awesome!

I KNOW Exactly how you feel!

Don't you worry yourself too much..
All Good things come to those who wait.

We know it's going to be an Awesome build! 👊🤠🤘

PS: There should be a badge for Ultimate SLOW Builds...
You and I would win them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back