Big Rock SWB Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bekant

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Been thinking about converting my Big Rock V3 into a SWB for a very long time! The other day the rear input gear broke and I figured I might as well pull the trigger and order the SWB chassis to make it happen. This will turn it from a wheelbase of 327mm/12.87" to a wheelbase of 287mm/11.3". Yes, backflips are addicting (my MT410 confirms this)!

As for future upgrades/modifications I'm thinking about changing the hexes to either 12m or 17mm with different tires, a better fitting body, 4s capable ESC, different shocks and just maybe put on the arms/driveshafts/hubs etc from an Outcast 4s.

For now I ordered and will start with the following things:
HD Input gear 13T #ARA311031
Differential Case Set 37T #AR310872
M2.5x12mm Cap Head (Thunder Innovation) #MCH2512
SWB Composite Chassis #ARA320607

A couple of weeks back I had stripped the rear main gear, ordered a new one, had a bit of a tedious installation due to the diff gears not moving freely at first since it was a brand new cup. I filled it and closed it 3 times before snapping off one of the screws and decided to run it with 3 screws. So when the input gear broke(had some minor damage already) the other day and I opened the rear up again, I decided to clean the cup and the main gear. A few hours later and it had this minor leak. Might as well do it right and change it.
20220529_011617.jpg

And here's the now stripped input gear
20220528_224815.jpg

Rear yokes, driveshafts, diff and input gear removed and cleaned.
20220530_152718.jpg

Time to remove the front and the rear to clean them up a bit.
20220530_152737.jpg

Front and rear, clean/good enough for a basher.
20220530_165505.jpg
20220530_161046.jpg

Next step is to move the electronics, steering, spine block and I will do that tomorrow once my order arrives.
20220530_165614.jpg

Check out mine and GRC's Granite build threads. Between the 2 of us should have the parts lists you need to get ya there. 👍

If you're still successfully running the stock shocks I'd recommend zip ties or suspension limiters to limit droop and keep the rod ends from popping out.

Check out mine and GRC's Granite build threads. Between the 2 of us should have the parts lists you need to get ya there. 👍

If you're still successfully running the stock shocks I'd recommend zip ties or suspension limiters to limit droop and keep the rod ends from popping out.
I saw your thread yesterday, I was cross referencing the big rock and outcast exploded views for a part list, got very confusing so I ended up looking for others who had done it already. Really nice end result you got! If I don't enjoy the big rock width on the granite chassis and if the budget allows it I'm probably doing it. I'll keep the shocks thing in mind, thank you and happy bashing.

Did you ever changed the big rock to SWB? I'm looking for any parts i would need on top of the chassis and potential problems while doing so :)..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back