Granite Switch to Lipo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed1408

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
  2. Voltage
I've had my Granite Voltage for about 4 months now and it has been a blast to drive, I've been using NiMh batteries and was thinking of switching to 2S Lipos. I wanted to see what experiences people have had running a Lipo in this truck, does it usually break certain parts etc? I've read that it will probably destroy the outdrive, so I'm ready for that one, at least. Thanks in advance. I'm a n00b to RC and this forum has been so helpful and awesome with getting started in this hobby.

2s lipos are fine in the stock setup. Just make sure you switch your esc to lipo mode. If you start getting into different motors and pinion gears you might run into problems.

i have a GRANITE as well i run it on Lipo the difference is day and night. Make sure you have a lipo and nimh charger. and do NOT forget to battery setup to lipo on the ESC.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys. I really appreciate it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs with a Lipo in there.

I purchased a spektrum 2s lipo bundle that comes with a s150 charger that charges lipos and nim as well as a couple of other battery types. One question that I'm hoping that I can find help with is, what is the difference between a 5000 mah 7.2v 50c and a 5000mah 7.2v 30c besides the obvious number and $20 price difference. I also found a 5000mah 7.2v 100c. All spektrum batteries. Thanks for any help understanding what this. BTW this is in a granite for what its worth.

The "C" rating is a measure of how much amperage can be drawn out of the battery. I like to think of C as capacity. So for a 5000mAh battery, 1C is 5000mA, or 5A. 30C would be 150,000mA, or 150A. The problem is that C ratings are very often overestimated. I use LiPo Ratings.com to figure out what batteries are actually capable of if the people who run this site have tested them. My current experiences with spektrum batteries are that they are very overrated. however in a brushed vehicle you will very likely never have to worry about it because the power draw isn't high enough to really cause any problems on all but the absolute worst batteries.

The "C" rating is a measure of how much amperage can be drawn out of the battery. I like to think of C as capacity. So for a 5000mAh battery, 1C is 5000mA, or 5A. 30C would be 150,000mA, or 150A. The problem is that C ratings are very often overestimated. I use LiPo Ratings.com to figure out what batteries are actually capable of if the people who run this site have tested them. My current experiences with spektrum batteries are that they are very overrated. however in a brushed vehicle you will very likely never have to worry about it because the power draw isn't high enough to really cause any problems on all but the absolute worst batteries.
Thanks, so either a 30c 0r 50c or higher is going to give me the same performance and run times on a brushed system?

Thanks, so either a 30c 0r 50c or higher is going to give me the same performance and run times on a brushed system?
Right. for what it is worth if you planning on sticking with radio control as a hobby for any length of time spend some time and do research on batteries and get good brands first off so you don't waste your money

Right. for what it is worth if you planning on sticking with radio control as a hobby for any length of time spend some time and do research on batteries and get good brands first off so you don't waste your money
I agree, I prefer to get peoples opinions on what they have actually had success with, hence the spektrum s150 battery bundle that the hobby shop recommended. What batteries have you had success with? Thanks for your advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back