Swollen Battery issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxboudro

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Hello

I have a Nero and a Kraton.

I run with duratrax onyx 5000 50c and 5400 50c. Arrma recommand minimum 5000 35c, so I'm ok. But all my 6 batteries are swollen. Should I garbage them? What could be the reason? Is that dangerous?

I don't use full trottle that much cause Both are hard to control at full speed and you need some space!

I change balance them each time at 3 amp. (hitec)

I have the speed pinion on each truck. Should I use the slow one? Does the slower one will make the car run longer or shorter with one charge? (Maximum speed is not that important to reach)

I never storage them after each use. Should I storage them each time and rebalance/charge them just before use?

Thank you. I just get in this less than 2 years ago and I'm the only one in my town, so no community around!

Hi @Maxboudro, welcome to the forum. Your batteries can safely charge ar 5 amps (1c) and may even be able to be charged at 10amp (2c) without issue but check with your manufacturer first. There for charging at 3amps (.6c) for those batteries is not causing the swelling. Neither is your pinion btw. Not doing a storage charge could be the issue but other factors play a part too eg temperature they are stored in, how flat you are running them etc. the speed the truck goes is not a battery problem

For safety reasons you should absolutely get rid of those batteries and purchase new ones. You don’t need to do my searching on the net to see what can happen should the lithium in those batteries come into contact with oxygen.

Do your research on how to take care of your batteries and charging, starting with searching the threads in this forum. There are too many for me to start pointing out specific ones.

Good to have you here?

I haven't heard too many good things about those Onyx batteries, everyone I know of that has had them has had them swell up on them.

You can safely charge any lipo battery at 1C or 1000th of the battery capacity or in your case 5a and 5.4a respectively.

Yes you need to put them on a storage charge if they are not going to be used for more than a couple of days. Never let them set below or above 3.8v for more than 2 days. You can safely charge them the evening before you go out.

If they are puffing really bad connect the batteries 1 at a time to a 12v automotive light bulb, stick them somewhere fireproof then let them set until you get a reading of 0v on the battery. Then dispose of them properly.

Good place to start for batteries https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/whats-your-budget-lipo-of-choice.218/page-22#post-147547

Lipo storage https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/how-to-store-a-lipo-battery.8629/

Too bad all your lipos are puffed, but like said above you need to get rid of them. No saving them now and too risky to keep around.

Definately have to storage charge after each use. Read up on caring for lipos.
Looks like you may need to choose a different brand of lipos as pointed out by slick2500.

Neither is your pinion btw.
Not sure that's entirely true. A larger pinion causes the esc to pull more amps out of the packs. Not to say if the packs say 50C and that's accurate, you should be ok running the larger or smaller pinion as they should be capable of well beyond the current that the esc will try and use.

The smaller pinion is easier on the esc and the packs, but may be harder on the motor as it will spool up to a higher RPM for longer, but the system will be using less amps to operate. The smaller pinion is also harder on the drive train because while your losing speed, your gaining a lot of torque, so if you drop to a smaller pinion, you may want to adjust your esc punch setting to soften the bottom end a bit. Or at least be aware of it and not mash the throttle when going slow or from a stand still.

Technically you are correct @olds97_lss I just don't think that the effect is material. I would think things like pinions and batteries would need to be on the edge of what is acceptable to cause a material issue. I could be wrong though and don't mind people pointing that out

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back