Granite T-Bone bumper install question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I got a t-bone bumper for my Granite 4x4
I know how to install properly and did but am wondering…would it be bad to not connect to the body? Anyone else done this? Is leaving it like the below going to cause a stress weakness in the front of chassis?
Many thanks!

4369C58A-D446-45C1-B56F-3CE87430E515.jpeg

Only familiar with the 6s version, what is not connected or needs connected to the body? As long as it is screwed into the chassis underneath you should be golden.

Ok after seeing the above picture ya you will be fine not connecting it to the front bumper/skid plate assembly. IMO it will save that front part from hard impacts and stress not attaching it, pretty much just like the 6s version

Only familiar with the 6s version, what is not connected or needs connected to the body? As long as it is screwed into the chassis underneath you should be golden.
I haven’t connected it to the oval stock loop that’s attached to the bulkhead(?), like it is in yours. First pic is my hand cranking the bumper a few inches towards the loop. 2nd is how it sits without being connected. I like this a bit better as the bumper sticks out more but am concerned it could cause an issue. Yes it’s attached at the chassis under.

E2672EC3-0038-4512-AE3B-EE872A3D9841.jpeg

D1320197-CAE3-4C2A-96FC-542A6FE4253E.jpeg

Ok after seeing the above picture ya you will be fine not connecting it to the front bumper/skid plate assembly. IMO it will save that front part from hard impacts and stress not attaching it, pretty much just like the 6s version
Oh sweet, just seeing this. You put it into the words I was trying to think lol. Just wanted to make sure it would not stress the chassis where it’s attached underneath.
Thank you!

I haven’t connected it to the oval stock loop that’s attached to the bulkhead(?), like it is in yours. First pic is my hand cranking the bumper a few inches towards the loop. 2nd is how it sits without being connected. I like this a bit better as the bumper sticks out more but am concerned it could cause an issue. Yes it’s attached at the chassis under.

View attachment 145429

View attachment 145430

Oh sweet, just seeing this. You put it into the words I was trying to think lol. Just wanted to make sure it would not stress the chassis where it’s attached underneath.
Thank you!
How flexible is it? I know they said it will be ok not connected but I've heard both good and bad reviews on the T-Bone bumpers. Some people love them and others had them crack on the first impact. But I guess if you go 50mph into a stationary object something is gonna break. Lol. Just don't do that and you should be good.

How flexible is it? I know they said it will be ok not connected but I've heard both good and bad reviews on the T-Bone bumpers. Some people love them and others had them crack on the first impact. But I guess if you go 50mph into a stationary object something is gonna break. Lol. Just don't do that and you should be good.
Seems quite flexible. Springy flexy even. That is why I don’t want to crank it back and secure. Figure that 2.5-3” of strong flex may be good for hard impacts…like landing on my face off a jump. I mean my cars face, I digressed back to my mountain biking days for a minute there.
I’m going to leave it I think. I’ve read about them cracking also but noticed it was often during cold weather or crazy speed. I don’t usually believe the ‘first time out only going 5mph it broke lightly tapping a tree!’ scenario. Though that actually happened when I briefly owned a red cat volcano. Talk about crap plastic!!
Nice, thanks. Did you ever run it without fully attaching? Your thoughts on that?
What shocks are those?

There are two silver spacers between the bumper and the mount. Shocks are team Durango race shocks. I Have no complaints other than replacement rebuild parts are a little hard to find but you can still find them.

There are two silver spacers between the bumper and the mount. Shocks are team Durango race shocks. I Have no complaints other than replacement rebuild parts are a little hard to find but you can still find them.
Yes I have the small spacers. Still a 2.5 gap between.
Ok cool thanks, I’ve heard of those shocks.

Connecting to the shock tower will help dissipate impact energy to more areas. Those bumper springs work great when stuffed with some foam tape. I've never broken a bumper spring since using foam and my original stock bumpers have survived countless lawn darts from over 10 feet high.

Connecting to the shock tower will help dissipate impact energy to more areas. Those bumper springs work great when stuffed with some foam tape. I've never broken a bumper spring since using foam and my original stock bumpers have survived countless lawn darts from over 10 feet high.
Thank you, I get that as well… I did the foam tape thing on my original post thanks to you posting your idea. Glad to hear it’s long term effective.
Lawn 🎯 😂 I’ve only gotten mine 5 feet up.

Thank you, I get that as well… I did the foam tape thing on my original post thanks to you posting your idea. Glad to hear it’s long term effective.
Lawn 🎯 😂 I’ve only gotten mine 5 feet up.
I jinxed myself. I switched to an 18t pinion, sent it higher than ever, and broke my front bumper for the first time. :(

I jinxed myself. I switched to an 18t pinion, sent it higher than ever, and broke my front bumper for the first time. :(
Sorry to hear! Mine worked well today…but I’m only launching 5-6 feet. I did several face plants and like how the bumper doesn’t dig in like stock.
Where did yours break? Got a pic?
I did 1 minor thing different with my install. I put 2 small medium hard rubber bushing type things between the bumper and skid plate. I just didn’t like the direct connection of a round thing to flat thing.

44A89DC4-2ABB-4DFB-8127-AF647DB75384.jpeg

It still works, I didn't even notice until I got home. But I have a replacement, so it's backup now.

View attachment 145625
Plastic weld it lol. I was looking at those things, or kits, on that Ali Baba site. Where are you Heat and melt connecting plastic type…stuff by ‘welding’ lol.
🤔 Is that front or back bumper?

I can speak from experience, as I ran the t bone bumper with just the 2 lower screws for about a summer….
The first time it ripped off, was when i attached it to the bumper spring…. And I now have a washer on the the bottom screws…..

I can speak from experience, as I ran the t bone bumper with just the 2 lower screws for about a summer….
The first time it ripped off, was when i attached it to the bumper spring…. And I now have a washer on the the bottom screws…..
Huh, something to think on right?!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back