Mojave T-Bone Mud guards - verdict

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4nd0m

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Mojave
  3. Notorious
Well, where do I start with it?

Maybe like this:
I ordered and installed the T-Bone mud guards as you can see in my build log here https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/r4nd0ms-mojave-6s-build-log.18891/post-257325 after seeing @crimsonfancy youtube video where he ran the truck on a what I'd say pretty dry park green - so here is a screenshot from it:

1584896997106.png

I have previously only run the truck on road or the car park behind the house due to the weather but thanks to the corona virus and the little one having a nap I thought I quickly charge two 6S packs and head to the local estate park behind the house for a few minutes for some me-time ...

The truck ran nice and I can't complain about the handling, the few times it rolled it did so at full speed banking but it also always landed on its own feet so that was good.

When I changed the first pack I knew I may be in for a treat as the park was still a bit wet from the recent rain but I stayed on the dry land for this run, well see for yourself:

1584897531097.png

Fair to say I was shocked by the poor performance of those mud guards especially considering that I didn't run the truck in reverse not a single time.

So after 2 packs through the truck, 2nd time I also went of the wet patch (the truck actually cut out being submerged in a puddle, wet foot due to wearing my Croggs :mad:) and back in the backyard here is the result:

Body:

1584897615407.png

1584897634347.png

The actual truck:
1584897794471.png

1584897685096.png

1584897727887.png

Even more so, front steering dog bone and thats already after penetrating it with the water hose

1584897890875.png

versus the rear with the mud guard installed:

1584897919204.png

it almost looks like the mud guard helped to collect even more debris as the exposed front one didn't look as bad

So roughly 45 mins run time and over 1 hour clean up using water hose, compressor and plenty of wd40 before it will be lubricated tomorrow but one thing is for sure, I can't recommend buying these mud guards at all - and I got a spare set I wanted to sell at hand. if I compare @crimsonfancy without and mine with I'd say you can easily run it without with the same result.

I may even take them off to compare how in-effective they are but I think the pictures speak for themselves already - you can save yourself some money I'd say!

No matter what you do, the terrain you were on with a closed wheel rig, will result with what we see here. Even my 6S Kraton looked like that. I just try to avoid wet grass. It's got to be the absolute worse to clean up. IMO. In a dry setting maybe the mud guards may be more functional.?:unsure:

No matter what you do, the terrain you were on with a closed wheel rig, will result with what we see here. Even my 6S Kraton looked like that. I just try to avoid wet grass. It's got to be the absolute worse to clean up. IMO. In a dry setting maybe the mud guards may be more functional.?:unsure:

But doesn't the "mud" part suggest wet conditions?

"Mud" is a generic term for dirt of any kind. Not Mud per se. In this case I feel it is used rather loosely for marketing purposes.:cool:
Think of scale car terminology if that helps.
You have a closed wheel SC body there. The only other option would be a mesh chassis cover. But the cover will still collect the wet grass, but just keep it off the chassis components if that works for you. Def. less clean up.

It's got to be the absolute worse to clean up. IMO. In a dry setting maybe the mud guards may be more functional.?:unsure:
mud guard - mud assumes wet I’d say - and it actually wasnt that muddy my Croggs were fine no mud to walk through

I only compare the debris profile and spread which looks exactly the same so I don't think these “guards” did anything really

A mudflap or mud guard is used in combination with the vehicle fender to protect the vehicle, passengers, other vehicles, and pedestrians from mud and other flying debris thrown into the air by the rotating tire.

Definition of Mud guard on a Scale car doesn't truly apply to RC in this instance. We can split hairs. But T-Bone just applied a generic term for this accessory. It is functional to some extent. But obviously not with wet grass as we can see.

But obviously not with wet grass as we can see.
again on the first run the ground may have had some but was dry to stand on and didnt make any sound either - the grass was dry similarly - only the second run I went over to the wet patches where you occasionally could see a bit of spray water

I am no crime scene technician but simply comparing @crimsonfancy without to my picture it seems the spread, distribution and layout of the debris hasnt been affected by the mud goards

I may give those Dusty Motors things a chance - the T-bone stuff really doesn't cut it for me

edit: just placed the order XL should do the job

After I learned from a post yesterday the xxl was needed. Forum member mentioned he ordered xl and was a few mm short. I'm still in the air so looking forward to your fit as well.

I recently put together a 3s senton and found out really fast that a closed wheel body is just a recipe for debris over everything after each run no matter what. Ended up throwing a dust cover on it in the end and sounds like that's your best bet too, but I would definitely make sure mud doesn't cake too much on it to where it would screw up your fan airflow.

After I learned from a post yesterday the xxl was needed. Forum member mentioned he ordered xl and was a few mm short. I'm still in the air so looking forward to your fit as well.
I ordered the XL and XXL (intended for the K8S as per another users usage) so I will be able to compare the sizes but simply measuring it the XL seemed to fit, I’ll let you know - good thing if you have multiple trucks you cant go wrong as you can always fit it onto another one ?

Last edited:
Found this size chart taken from the T-Bone racing page from their dusty motor pick your own size listing if that helps.
Screenshot_20200323-025335_Chrome.jpg

Found this size chart taken from the T-Bone racing page from their dusty motor pick your own size listing if that helps.
View attachment 71118
this one is available on the dustymotors website as well - I did measure 36cm on the Mojave from the center brace at the front to the rear of the side guard so you have even less to attach the velcro to but I will see when it gets here - my approach is to protect the core and not the entire chassis length meaning I'll expect to do a little bit of cleanup - but as I got 2 coming I will be able to check with one to actually go for

Actually I recommend XXXL (someone had previously recommended XXL, which is what I based my original order on) - I just put an order in for an XXXL as I'm planning to buy a Notorious/Outcast, so I'll move my XXL to that machine. Confused? :p

So I finally got around to take some photos to show yas (again, I have the XXL) - you can see the gap at the rear, it's not the end of the world, but stuff still gets in through there. So my plan with the XXXL is to have a bit of extra length to velcro to the chassis mount itself at the rear, close the gap.

I ran in wet grass on the weekend - a lot of crap got under the body but the shroud prevented it from settling into the chassis itself, saved me a tonne of cleaning. I did have to manually clean the A arms though ><

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpeg
    IMG_5169.jpeg
    282.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 130
The cover is the best option for the critical chassis components. Just hope DM covers don't burn up anymore, like mine did on my OC.

Actually I recommend XXXL (someone had previously recommended XXL, which is what I based my original order on) - I just put an order in for an XXXL as I'm planning to buy a Notorious/Outcast, so I'll move my XXL to that machine. Confused? :p

So I finally got around to take some photos to show yas (again, I have the XXL) - you can see the gap at the rear, it's not the end of the world, but stuff still gets in through there. So my plan with the XXXL is to have a bit of extra length to velcro to the chassis mount itself at the rear, close the gap.

I ran in wet grass on the weekend - a lot of crap got under the body but the shroud prevented it from settling into the chassis itself, saved me a tonne of cleaning. I did have to manually clean the A arms though ><

From now on I'll call it "the largest one" ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back