Talion build, garage made, braces system and towers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbobjr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Going to build a talion out of some spares and making somethings myself. I like the 1/4" carbon towers so much on the outcast I'm making a set for this. Also have a piece of 4mm 7075 aluminum for the chassis. I have a blx system as well as a big rocket 4585 and ztw 220a beast. May go the light weight route and try to keep it near the stock weight. To make up for the added weight of the thicker chassis I will try carbon bracing. The ends which bolt to the chassis will need an aluminum end made. Wish me luck.
20190809_205614.jpg
20190809_211108.jpg
20190809_211119.jpg
20190809_211136.jpg

Nice.
I really like that 4585 in my Kraton. Should be a lot of fun in a Talion.

Also, pretty jealous of the bridgeport. Kick myself in the butt for not buying an old M head deal a long time ago.

Broke my chassis today trying to make the bend in the front. Pretty bummed, I have a lot of time in it and could have just given it to a friend at church to make thebends. Did not want to wait. It was coming out really nice too.

My press had plenty of tonnage (obviously) but my die was too sharp and bit it off like it was biting into a piece of pizza. My test piece came out perfect but was 6061. The 7075 is stronger but less forgiving. I should have been more careful.
20190815_020749.jpg
20190815_020756.jpg

I set aside the broken chassis and just ordered one from m2c. The rear tower is done, have to mock up my bracing system. Could not find a wing mount to directly mount to the tower which was talion height and length like the Tekno one match the Kraton. That one is stronger. Going with the stock one which complicates my bracing. It must fit between the mount and bolt to the tower. Have a nice chunk of alunimun to whittle on. Front tower is in the jig ready to machine.
63183CB5-774B-4F9B-9C76-2251E52124CF.jpeg
46FB9B19-FFE9-444D-8051-406847B3A1A7.jpeg
D7F2F6B4-9559-45DC-90DC-787B54B29943.jpeg

Have the day off and thought I'd give a few ideas a try. My brace support is taking shape. The towers are pretty much done.
Have to make two shoes for the carbon chassis braces to fit into and attach to the chassis. Big pain but will be similar weight to the stock ones.
20190902_133757.jpg
20190902_134003.jpg

Slow progress but some ideas are coming together. Made shoes for the braces. The shoes are keyed like the plastic braces. The wing/brace support is nearly finished. Just need to drill and tap some holes and the rear will be finished. Front will be a challenge to secure the front of the brace top the steering plate. Carbon fiber plate will need to be supported with another aluminum shoe. Drilled in between the layers it will not be strong enough and want to delaminate with stress and cause the hole to be egg shaped or pull out. It is very strong when drilled across the layers like the shock towers.
84D77EB7-F7B8-4312-AEF9-8E0A248C2E4E.jpeg
6F007D22-B7B3-47E2-8D1E-33B5A5562925.jpeg
1191B118-1DC6-4207-91BA-457709AE526F.jpeg
879C4545-188E-4C0D-9CE4-94E8088B3330.jpeg
7DD65262-E4F1-405F-AD41-5AED4F6B59D3.jpeg

Thanks guys. My hopes are to keep this talion as light as a bash worthy rig can be. Most likely will keep a stock sized motor and esc also. It will be heavier than stock but will not have the center brace so that will take a little off. What will put a little weight on is the m2c chassis and the wing brace. I may whittle away at the wing brace to make it a little lighter. The towers are lighter and the braces even with the aluminum bits are just a tiny bit more than stock.
The talion is so fun to drive at its stock weight so trying to retain most of that handling.
The work is sooooo good. The intricacy of the detail and design is outstanding. The only problem is, will it be too nice to bash?
I won’t be running it at construction sites (my favorite) and choppy places that’s for the heavy duty Kraton or my knuckle head Outcast (I love that thing). blew a rear dif on that today...
Mostly use my ramps or at the park and bmx track. Maybe build a kicker like some of the other guys have been doing. It will be getting some abuse but the hope is less things breaking because the weight difference.

Crafty good skills you have going on there. That's going to be super responsive, super nice. Make most of us look like kids with toy cars lol. I wish I had the patience and motivation to build like that.

Crafty good skills you have going on there. That's going to be super responsive, super nice. Make most of us look like kids with toy cars lol. I wish I had the patience and motivation to build like that.
I can make them pretty good, but driving is another story. Most of you guys have me beat for sure
?

Thanks Brian, it's taking a long time though. Just don't have enough... Hoping to get the front done next week. Still have to sort out my electrics, bearings, shocks, and difs. Still hoping to stay maybe half pound over stock weight. Even with the shoes the braces are super light. Chassis and wing brace are the only things that are heavier than stock. Suspension mounts will be stock and no bumpers this time. Maybe just the typhon bumper t save the body.

Looking at the steering support plate and brace in the front and thought of something better. Why not make the top plate a little thicker, get rid of the plastic bulkhead brace thing and integrate the suspension mount. All one piece. Just happened to have a piece of aluminum setting here doing nothing.
20190920_031124.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back