Talion build, garage made, braces system and towers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I wish I had a little more time and money for better equipment. My favorite is my kraton 8s. I made a chassis for it, along with bracing of my own design. Would love to get a YouTube channel together someday and call it Old Iron Rc and share some of my ideas and no/low cost tweaks I've come up with. Most already shared here on this forum.

So I had this ztw beast pro220a here for a while and the rocket 4585 collecting dust so thought I try them in the talion. (There's another thread on the beast esc and the struggles I had so I wont repeat that here.)

Tried it first with a 23t pinion and the kaiju wheels and tires. What a nut case, very fast and hard to control. Needed to set the punch lower and get the katars back on there. Esc temp at 150f as well as the motor at 180f. Esc thermal protection is something like 220f, hows that even possible?

Anyway I thought the motor could use a fan set up and to my knowledge there isn't one to buy. Thought about the k8s one but did not want to steal it from mine or spend 30$ on it. So I made one up. Took a few pics of my old school setups. It's the third one of these I made and they are pretty solid. The hobbystar fans fit right on(had some extras of those...). Wired them up and plugged them into channel 3.
20200619_150050.jpg

Here, using a four jaw chuck, I have to indicate the offset hole for the acentric nature of the mount.
20200619_150341.jpg

20200619_153403.jpg

Drilling and boring the acentric two different sizes for the two different diameters on the motor.
20200619_161842.jpg

Using a grooving tool to part both pieces off.
20200619_172600.jpg
20200619_194226.jpg
20200619_175026.jpg

Milling, drilling and tapping the clamps.
20200620_165011.jpg

Making the mounting bridge.
20200620_172113.jpg

The pieces all done and ready for assembly.
20200621_195307.jpg

20200621_202243.jpg

20200620_192950.jpg

20200621_202233.jpg

Assembled, soldered and all tidied up. Ready to rip!

Last edited:
Had this out last weekend. Ran into my fence and the force knocked my pinion 23t loose and it’s gone. Had a 24 so that’s what’s in there now. With the Katars it runs far better, 65mph on the road barely even trying and doesn’t break a sweat. Pretty darn good setup. Btw, kydex bumper is awesome, I don’t think I will ever run anything else. Need to make a few more for my other rigs.
This week I serviced the diffs 50/200/35 and changed all the bearings and swapped out a broken diff housing.

@Jimbobjr ... did I miss the Kydex bumper..?? do you have any specs, size thickness etc..?? ??
I would be partial to making some as I think both the T-bone and RPM bumpers are both flawed designs in their own ways..?

@Jimbobjr ... did I miss the Kydex bumper..?? do you have any specs, size thickness etc..?? ??
I would be partial to making some as I think both the T-bone and RPM bumpers are both flawed designs in their own ways..?
I buy the kydex from eBay. It comes in several thicknesses but for the bumper above I use 1/8”. I made a cardboard cut out similar to a broken typhon t bone bumper. Cut it out, drilled and counter sunk the holes, mounted it, marked it where I wanted it bent, removed it and heated with a heat gun and bent it. I make them a little longer than the t bone so I can bend it up further. I did not break any yet. Here’s the one on my trugified typhon from that thread. The talion one I made it wider and bent the ends in to follow the body.
1593779488289.jpeg

Just an update on this build. It’s still running awesome after nearly two years. All my home made aluminum and carbon parts are fine. Broke the usual stuff everywhere else. I’ve yet to break a kydex bumper. I’m running several on other rigs.

The ZTW Beast esc went up in flames. The 4585 was just too much for it. Had several other systems in it along with tire setups and think the blx185 and stock tires are best. You just have to put up with a cracked wheel now and then. If you could still get the badlands with the one piece 17mm wheel they are my second favorite. The two piece wheels are not good for bashing imo. Bf lps are nice too but the talion I just prefer the katars or a little or no offset truggy tire/wheel combination.

The key to the talion is keeping it light weight. If I could change anything it would be to go from the standard m2c chassis to the light weight speed one. Even though they say it’s not for bashing, with my bracing it would be fine. The cut outs make it lighter than stock. If I do that I will update this build.

If you’re waiting for a exb talion maybe just build your own. You probably already have most of the parts. Get some lightweight upgrades like @Basherqueen makes or cut out your own towers like I did. I do prefer the thicker 6mm carbon though. Little harder to work with but nearly impossible to break and still lighter than stock. The Arrma exb talion chassis looks pretty good so maybe go with that or the light racing m2c. For bracing, what ever ones you go with be sure they have the little ears that lock into the chassis. It’s one of the best features and so many after market braces omit it. Pretty sure the M2c and custom rc upgrades ones have it but for some cost cutting reason the Arrma talion exb ones do not. For motor mounts the original v1-3 motor mount is far lighter than any sliding one. If you prefer the sliders m2c is lightest. The v4-present motor mount is a good bit heavier. The pps one looks sweet but I’m nearly certain it is heavier than the m2c one. Why worry about the weight you might ask? Well you most likely already own a Kraton so no sense having two...

Just an update on this build. It’s still running awesome after nearly two years. All my home made aluminum and carbon parts are fine. Broke the usual stuff everywhere else. I’ve yet to break a kydex bumper. I’m running several on other rigs.

If you’re waiting for a exb talion maybe just build your own.
Good to know yours is still running strong..!!

As for an EXB Talion 🤔 well I did just that..😎

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back