Talion build, garage made, braces system and towers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bones are complete. At least for now. One piece top plate/suspension mount came out nice. Again, my stuff is always a little chunky but only 1/4 0z heavier than the arrma one with the plastic brace holder. The other mounts will be stock for now. They are really tough for me to make for some reason.
Carbon front brace needed a front shoe as well. Big pain and lots of time there. Also added the wire hook. It's so lazy not to put that there, no excuse. I don’t think I’ll make another set of carbon braces. Could have made 3 sets of aluminum ones in the same amount of time.
Not liking my front diff I bought from Jenny's. Mesh of the ring and input is notchy. Most likely will blow that up 1st run. That's it for this week. Lots of cores to do..
20190927_171237.jpg
20190927_164259.jpg
20190927_164233.jpg
20190927_163301.jpg

Last edited:
Bones are complete. At least for now. One piece top plate/suspension mount came out nice. Again, my stuff is always a little chunky but only 1/4 0z heavier than the arrma one with the plastic brace holder. The other mounts will be stock for now. They are really tough for me to make for some reason.
Carbon front brace needed a front shoe as well. Big pain and lots of time there. Also added the wire hook. It's so lazy not to put that there, no excuse. I don’t think I’ll make another set of carbon braces. Could have made 3 sets of aluminum ones in the same amount of time.
Not liking my front diff I bought from Jenny's. Mesh of the ring and input is notchy. Most likely will blow that up 1st run. That's it for this week. Lots of cores to do.. View attachment 49359View attachment 49360View attachment 49361View attachment 49362
Master craftsman at work. ??

Nothing too exciting with the electrics. All stock. (This is from spares...)Going to make a servo mount but just removing the grommets and sticking the plastic top piece under the servo makes it so the servo is smack against the chassis. Also running longer screws stiffens up the stock mount considerably.

Found I only had three shock perches so had to make some. They are 1/4-20 cap screws now taking on a more exciting life.

Messing around with my box of wings. Going with the 4s kraton wing. Follows the shock towers nicely.
20191004_012705.jpg
20191004_031341.jpg
20191004_030359.jpg
20191004_031359.jpg

@Jimbobjr ...
I looked at that picture over and over and thought why are you showing 4 standoffs then a bolt..!!!

Then today it all fell into place... you made the standoff's out of the bolt..!!?

AMAZING work yet again...???????
Hopefully they will hold up. Really like the new M2C Racing ones. They use a 4mm bolt from the back and the standoff and threaded end are one piece. For the price plus coupon they are a nice deal. Stock ones are around $12 m2c I think are 16 with coupon.
This is amazing hand-work ...
Great man!
Thank you, my friend.

Stole my shocks from my typhon which are for a talion. Made chassis and rear shock tower protection. It's ready to go, hope I get a chance to run this week.

Btw weight is 9lbs 13oz with out the battery. Wish it was lighter and may machine some more material off of my front plate and rear brace holder. Considering how much stronger it is and has an m2c chassis I guess I'm happy with it. I can't see getting more than an oz or two off of it...
Jim
20191007_141559.jpg
20191007_141626.jpg
20191007_141654.jpg
20191007_143822.jpg
20191007_143902.jpg
20191007_143947.jpg

Stole my shocks from my typhon which are for a talion. Made chassis and rear shock tower protection. It's ready to go, hope I get a chance to run this week.

Btw weight is 9lbs 13oz with out the battery. Wish it was lighter and may machine some more material off of my front plate and rear brace holder. Considering how much stronger it is and has an m2c chassis I guess I'm happy with it. I can't see getting more than an oz or two off of it...
JimView attachment 50192View attachment 50193View attachment 50194View attachment 50196View attachment 50197View attachment 50198
She's a bute! Tough to think that all that work was so you could go out and push it to new levels. Maybe shelf this one and build another to bash?

I believe you might need a lower KV motor after all those changes...
It would really fit the build to have a big nasty motor in there!
Well, the idea is to keep the weight down. My Kraton has the hw 4985/max6, and many of my home grown upgrades and weighs a ton. Well over 12lbs which is all my kitchen scale weighs. I pretty much break it every time out, mostly suspension or drive train related. For me the blx is a nice balance. May compromise with a little power but keeping the weight down. Maybe down the road I will change something with the electrics but this is a budget build for sure except for the chassis.

Well, the idea is to keep the weight down. My Kraton has the hw 4985/max6, and many of my home grown upgrades and weighs a ton. Well over 12lbs which is all my kitchen scale weighs. I pretty much break it every time out, mostly suspension or drive train related. For me the blx is a nice balance. May compromise with a little power but keeping the weight down. Maybe down the road I will change something with the electrics but this is a budget build for sure except for the chassis.

I agree, heavy weight = lots of problems.

The BLX system has plenty of power if the vehicle does not have oversized tires or lots of heavy weight.
It sounds like you have done a great job keeping the weight down!

My heart breaks every time I see that chassis breakage you had while trying to bend the front. Having made my own chassis and done all that countersunk screw holes, I understand how much time that takes!

-Liberty

My heart breaks every time I see that chassis breakage you had while trying to bend the front. Having made my own chassis and done all that countersunk screw holes, I understand how much time that takes!
Yes, I was surprise how easy it broke. Test piece came out perfect but was 6061. There’s a reason just about every piece of aluminum we touch on a daily bases is 6061 or a form of it. Very nice to work with.

I have another piece of 7075 for another chassis. For the bends I will give it to a buddy of mine which has proper tools. I was just too much in a hurry and bullheaded this time.
Jim

Last edited:
This thing is running great. Blue up a brand new inner wheel sealed bearing on the second pack. Replaced it with stock. See if it out last the others...Only thing I need to do is add a typhon t bone bumper. I’m making divits like a pitching wedge, even on flat landings. Everything else is pretty dialed. I think I put 35/200/20 in the diffs and running a 16t pinion which could be bigger but all my other larger pinions are in the twenties.

This is a cool build man! Really diggin all the handmade parts ??. To bad about that chassi plate tho.
The chassis was a big disappointment. Have have another piece I’m going to use for another car. 7075 aluminum does not like to be bent.
Very nice build man. Looks sick!!
Thanks a lot my friend.

Both the braces and towers are working great. I've made several pairs of towers with no failures yet. The are 1/4" thick but lighter than stock. The material I used is very good quality from Elevated Materails. The braces were such a pain to make I may never make another set. The aluminum feet they set in are a lot of work. When I rebuild my typhon I think I'm going back to aluminum bracing but carbon towers.

Updating this for my giveaway entree...
Still running pretty much as is. Cracked some wheels, broke a wingmount but nothing else. Changed out the aluminum skid for rpm rear and tbr typhon front bumper. It’s a beast, nearly two pounds lighter than the oc and a pound lighter than a stock Kraton. The carbon towers and bracing instead of aluminum makes a difference in handling and excelleration with less weight.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back