Talion Talion+Castle MMX8s 1717 combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
Just installed this combo 2 days ago and got a chance to go mess around with it for a bit. There is actually not much on this forum or youtube about the Talion with this combo installed so figured maybe someone will find it helpful. When I first tried the combo, I was not impressed. Come to find out I had to reverse motor rotation in castle link and reverse the throttle on my radiolink. After I did that, everything was great, and I was amazed.

Last edited:
Nice setup for sure. Fast as heck.
What pinion did you go with???
DId you go over the diffs first out the box??

Nice setup for sure. Fast as heck.
What pinion did you go with???
DId you go over the diffs first out the box??
It has a 25t pinion and 46t spur at the moment. I haven't gone over the diffs and I keep telling myself I should but it's a bit daunting when you're a beginner. Though I did have to replace a differential outdrive on my wifey kraton recently which was definitely a daunting task but not as bad as I thought it would be and I gained much needed experience. Diff oil is pretty much the only thing I haven't done at this point and I plan to buy some soon.

I got that same combo coming in next week I hope I find the right pinion. I only have 15, 18, 23 handy

Be nice to not run a heat sink or fan...maybe on 4S?

I got that same combo coming in next week I hope I find the right pinion. I only have 15, 18, 23 handy

Be nice to not run a heat sink or fan...maybe on 4S?
If you don't want to run a fan I'd try the 18t. Why don't you want fans? noise? my 40mm 16k rpm fans don't make much noise. At least not in comparison to the 30mm fans I was using before haha.

I don't like fans or heatsink because of added weight, complexity, decrease to overall durability. I'm trying to maximize performance and the Talion EXB is already a pig. I have 4 x 40mm fans ready to go, but I was hoping by going with such a big can I could avoid all the accessories. I may drop down to 4S because 6S is overpowered if you don't have a football field to play on.

Speaking of overpowered! I broke my first wing mount the other day. I actually did a double standing backflip lol. Castle combo + backflip lps and standing backflips = rip wing mount. At least I was able to order some rc3d wing mounts everyone is so crazy about. ;D

Last edited:
Speaking of overpowered! I broke my first wing mount the other day. I actually did a double standing backflip lol. Castle combo + backflip lps and standing backflips = rip wing mount. At least I was able to order some rc3d wing mounts everyone is so crazy about. ;D

So sweet, I should check out that wing mount. You got a nice rig.
Did you have to use a special motor mount?

So sweet, I should check out that wing mount. You got a nice rig.
Did you have to use a special motor mount?
No sir, motor fits just fine with stock mount. I did trim the little plastic lip on the esc tray for the esc to sit flush but you don't have to. My double-sided tape held it in place regardless. I also use a fan mount I got from ebay that fits the 1717 nicely, I did change the fans on it though. I know people can struggle to find fan mounts for it so I thought I'd mention it just in case. Actually, plan on buying a 2nd one for the castle combo in my felony.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403287711741?var=673348174489

No sir, motor fits just fine with stock mount. I did trim the little plastic lip on the esc tray for the esc to sit flush but you don't have to. My double-sided tape held it in place regardless. I also use a fan mount I got from ebay that fits the 1717 nicely, I did change the fans on it though. I know people can struggle to find fan mounts for it so I thought I'd mention it just in case. Actually, plan on buying a 2nd one for the castle combo in my felony.

Hey thanks!
I have these fans, nothing fancy.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...ceneId":"26264","sku_id":"10000006381269901"}

@21STalion you will quickly find out that plastic fans won
't last long, even at that price it's a pain to change out.
If they do happen to hold up, let us know.

Use alu-framed fans, 30-35mm, and they will hold up a lot longer.

@21STalion you will quickly find out that plastic fans won
't last long, even at that price it's a pain to change out.
If they do happen to hold up, let us know.

Use alu-framed fans, 30-35mm, and they will hold up a lot longer.
I have an aluminum one but it's 35mm. But these barrel fans blow a tonne more air, probably twice as much.

I bought the same mount, just waiting on it to come in. I'll hang it off the side of my infraction 1717 with the twin loud 40mm fans hahaha. I'm going to try 24/46 but i'll be on 8s. Looking at the infraction speed pinion on the stock motor combo and 6s this will be just a tad faster and hopefully run decently cool for parking lot ripping. I set the xlx2's temp cutoff for the motor at 180 just in case.

I bought the same mount, just waiting on it to come in. I'll hang it off the side of my infraction 1717 with the twin loud 40mm fans hahaha. I'm going to try 24/46 but i'll be on 8s. Looking at the infraction speed pinion on the stock motor combo and 6s this will be just a tad faster and hopefully run decently cool for parking lot ripping. I set the xlx2's temp cutoff for the motor at 180 just in case.
Honestly, I wish I could get that same mount without the fans for cheaper lol. They don't even list the fan rpms or anything, I just instantly replaced them with some 16k rpm aluminum framed ones. With those castle combos I always feel weird because I feel like I'm running a big pinion but my temps are always 90-100f whenever I check. Even my felony for example is running a 26/46 with motor temp cutoff set to 160f and I'm sure I don't even come close to that. I've been thinking of going with a 27 tooth in the Talion. Do you happen to know what the biggest pinion that will fit with the stock mount and 46t spur?

Honestly, I wish I could get that same mount without the fans for cheaper lol. They don't even list the fan rpms or anything, I just instantly replaced them with some 16k rpm aluminum framed ones. With those castle combos I always feel weird because I feel like I'm running a big pinion but my temps are always 90-100f whenever I check. Even my felony for example is running a 26/46 with motor temp cutoff set to 160f and I'm sure I don't even come close to that. I've been thinking of going with a 27 tooth in the Talion. Do you happen to know what the biggest pinion that will fit with the stock mount and 46t spur?

Think my spur is 50? on the Talion EXB RTR but I too would like to know the biggest pinion options.

Think my spur is 50? on the Talion EXB RTR but I too would like to know the biggest pinion options.
I think with the 50t spur you can't go any higher than 23t pinion iirc. I think I remember trying a 24 and it wouldn't mesh well.

What other spurs are available? Think I'm on the 39mm diff, does that matter?
Honestly, I'm not experienced enough to know. I Just know Arrma makes a 46t spur that comes on the Felony/infaction stock. I bet you can find a lot of different ones on ebay though. I just put a 46t spur in my Typhon and that allowed me to fit the 28t pinion I wanted to put in. Probably could have fit at least a 30t

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back