Talion Talion+Castle MMX8s 1717 combo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What other spurs are available? Think I'm on the 39mm diff, does that matter?
Arrma makes a 46t spur, and you can get some smaller tooth ones on ebay but i'm a little cautious to try them.
Honestly, I wish I could get that same mount without the fans for cheaper lol. They don't even list the fan rpms or anything, I just instantly replaced them with some 16k rpm aluminum framed ones. With those castle combos I always feel weird because I feel like I'm running a big pinion but my temps are always 90-100f whenever I check. Even my felony for example is running a 26/46 with motor temp cutoff set to 160f and I'm sure I don't even come close to that. I've been thinking of going with a 27 tooth in the Talion. Do you happen to know what the biggest pinion that will fit with the stock mount and 46t spur?
I think i put a 26t on my light talion and had a little room left. 27 may fit.

Hey what size tires you running Moirae
I've been using backflip lp's and recently src road crushers. I really like the stock belted tires but I wore em out on road which led to me trying the road crushers lol. The crushers are 139mm and lp's are 154mm Dia.

I've been using backflip lp's and recently src road crushers. I really like the stock belted tires but I wore em out on road which led to me trying the road crushers lol. The crushers are 139mm and lp's are 154mm Dia.
Just picked up the Belted Badlands, these things are super nice, got to be honest....I'm measuring 173mm.

Also waiting on the aluminum hubs, not because I think I need them but because I can get a 0 offset for the front. I don't mind the offset in the rear but messing with the front is not good.

Thinking a 15T might be okay for these - 1717 should be here this week.

Last edited:
Just picked up the Belted Badlands, these things are super nice, got to be honest....I'm measuring 173mm.

Also waiting on the aluminum hubs, not because I think I need them but because I can get a 0 offset for the front. I don't mind the offset in the rear but messing with the front is not good.

Thinking a 15T might be okay for these - 1717 should be here this week.
I've been thinking about getting some 2.8 badlands for the typhon 3s. Little hesitant as I've been reading some negativity around the removeable wheel hexes cracking really easily. As for the Talion, I think you will end up gearing up a little more. 15t on 1717 seem really low to me. I bet you will be able to go up to like 19 or 20 at least. Those are some freaking big tires though haha.

I've been thinking about getting some 2.8 badlands for the typhon 3s. Little hesitant as I've been reading some negativity around the removeable wheel hexes cracking really easily. As for the Talion, I think you will end up gearing up a little more. 15t on 1717 seem really low to me. I bet you will be able to go up to like 19 or 20 at least. Those are some freaking big tires though haha.

Thinking of building a custom turnbuckle to replace the shocks and make it rigid and low. Remove the wing and I can actually drive upside down with these tires the Talion is so low lol

She's only 120mm tall or so from the chassis floor...

You can go 30T or even 32T on the pinion in a Talion with the 1650KV. It can handle it. I had mines with that same combo running 34/30 (only for on road use) and it starting getting hot probably because of the 34 spool and/or tire selection...not the 30T pinion. With a 46T center you should be fine with a fan or two. If you got the money check out GameChanger fans on Ebay. I was running 46/32 with those fans and the motor was actually cool after some heavy street bashing and drag hits. The fans added some weight but it a surefire upgrade especially for that trash MMX8S fan.

1638952665832.png

This is a pic of my setup when I was running the 34/30 (before I put GC fans in it). Had smaller belted tires on it (2.8 Trencher HPs I think) Those Sweeps are HEAVY and will make things hot so be careful. The more you gear up the smaller and/or lighter you want the tires. I had to stop running the Sweeps even though I love them. They're too heavy and I ran them twice on the setup in the pic and overheated the motor (connection wire came unsoldered and pinion pinion practically melted on the shaft. The ESC survived though and is currently in use but the motor was a goner. The setup was fine with the 2.8s though. Total street speed ripper which is what I'm all about...no jumps.

As a side note after I burnt up the Castle I stuck the Hobbywing 1650KV with the MMX8S and it ran much cooler even though its not sensored. 1650KV is a sweet spot for the Talion cause you can gear almost anyway you like.

Last edited:
You can go 30T or even 32T on the pinion in a Talion with the 1650KV. It can handle it. I had mines with that same combo running 34/30 (only for on road use) and it starting getting hot probably because of the 34 spool and/or tire selection...not the 30T pinion. With a 46T center you should be fine with a fan or two. If you got the money check out GameChanger fans on Ebay. I was running 46/32 with those fans and the motor was actually cool after some heavy street bashing and drag hits. The fans added some weight but it a surefire upgrade especially for that trash MMX8S fan.

View attachment 184829
This is a pic of my setup when I was running the 34/30 (before I put GC fans in it). Had smaller belted tires on it (2.8 Trencher HPs I think) Those Sweeps are HEAVY and will make things hot so be careful. The more you gear up the smaller and/or lighter you want the tires. I had to stop running the Sweeps even though I love them. They're too heavy and I ran them twice on the setup in the pic and overheated the motor (connection wire came unsoldered and pinion pinion practically melted on the shaft. The ESC survived though and is currently in use but the motor was a goner. The setup was fine with the 2.8s though. Total street speed ripper which is what I'm all about...no jumps.
Man the sweeps really are beyond heavy. I'm pretty sure my Talion weighs more than my wifey kraton at the moment lol. I really wish I could find the perfect on road tire for the talion. I might also gear up from 25t to 26 or 27. I am worried about the heavier tires, but I do like the way it drives with them though. I just installed the 3drc mount so I might put the backflips back on and have a blast with the standing backflips, so fun!

Man the sweeps really are beyond heavy. I'm pretty sure my Talion weighs more than my wifey kraton at the moment lol. I really wish I could find the perfect on road tire for the talion. I might also gear up from 25t to 26 or 27. I am worried about the heavier tires, but I do like the way it drives with them though. I just installed the 3drc mount so I might put the backflips back on and have a blast with the standing backflips, so fun!

Belted badlands; backflip 6s; badlands; belted katars

I may have a problem...

Tires.jpg

Belted badlands; backflip 6s; badlands; belted katars

I may have a problem...

View attachment 184830
I like the 4s outcast tires on my off road beefcake talion. I put the belted talion tires on my lightweight ripper but have heard they are a little stiff and don't absorb rough terrain all too well compared to stock. I use my 3.8 badlands to keep my heavy vitavonned udr weight off the tires hahahaha

talion4.jpg

talion13.jpg

View attachment 184829

As a side note after I burnt up the Castle I stuck the Hobbywing 1650KV with the MMX8S and it ran much cooler even though its not sensored. 1650KV is a sweet spot for the Talion cause you can gear almost anyway you like.

I'll def try a 23/50 with the 175mm tires

Anyone know how fast you can go with these tires?

I'll def try a 23/50 with the 175mm tires

Anyone know how fast you can go with these tires?
23 might be a tight fit on the motor slide. i know 22 fits ok. may have to drop to a 46t spur

I like the 4s outcast tires on my off road beefcake talion. I put the belted talion tires on my lightweight ripper but have heard they are a little stiff and don't absorb rough terrain all too well compared to stock. I use my 3.8 badlands to keep my heavy vitavonned udr weight off the tires hahahaha

View attachment 184831

View attachment 184832

I love that brandywine Talion.

I found the Katar belted to be low on grip and low cushioning. I cracked rims and a few wobble - they really are more for speed running in my opinion. Low durability. The non-belted bandlands just demolished them in performance. 6S backflips were darn good and almost as good as the badlands, but more durable maybe.

These belted badlands are just nuts, they look tough and feel sticky - weigh a pound each...

I'm sure the 1717 will be able to turn them :)

I love that brandywine Talion.

I found the Katar belted to be low on grip and low cushioning. I cracked rims and a few wobble - they really are more for speed running in my opinion. Low durability. The non-belted bandlands just demolished them in performance. 6S backflips were darn good and almost as good as the badlands, but more durable maybe.

These belted badlands are just nuts, they look tough and feel sticky - weigh a pound each...
The 3.8's? i took them off my k6, they were heavy and stiff. i put them on a stretched mojave chassis running 8s but my impatience to shim diffs made it shred a rear diff. I shimmed it up and had no more issues but ended up putting a buggy body on and making a "1/5" typhon with 1/5 grp's. I've been sitting here debating on kicking it back over to 6s outcast tires now that i'm building more street only rigs and don't need it to stay street.

fat bastard10.jpg

fat bastard11.jpg

fat bastard16.jpg

fat bastard19.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back