Talion Chassis is Very Soft Metal. Bends very easy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandblaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Vorteks
Any way to replace the very soft stock chassis with a stronger one. Stock bends so easy. Must be made of totally soft aluminum. Bottom dimples to clear ring gear bent in and destroyed both diff's. Have the rear aluminum brace added and it still bent just in front of the brace anchor. Straightened it with very little force. Mush is the word that comes to mind on how soft the metal is. Talion only a couple of months old. Becoming unimpressed with the quality of this unit. Becoming very expensive to maintain.

I have never seen aluminum bend this easy. It is totally junk. Your statement of weakens and it bends is very strange. It should have resistance from bending not soft like butter. It takes very little effort to bend it. This is very, very soft metal. Totally not adequate for the job. Have worked with metal of most kinds in my 73 years. Have an ideal of what it should be like. This is unbelievable soft. Used a 40mm X 3 mm flat brace on bottom, purchased from local hardware. It is tougher then the metal in the chassis.

Using Hot Racing brace. It did it's job as the bend was in front of the brace.

Man that stinks. Hit up Arrma and tell em you got a bad chassis.

Figured it would do no good. Nice ideal tho.

After owning the hpi trophy truggy flux this chassis is decent. I haven't bent the talion yet. 2 chassis on the hpi and I constantly had to bend it and the shock towers back. My talion is still solid after beating on it for over a year(nothing is out of shape)
Sounds like you may have gotten a bad chassis

Oh this is modeled after the Durango truggy. Wonder if their chassis would work? Might be worth looking into

Someone has a thread on swapping the DEXT8 (I think) chassis onto a Kraton.

Someone has a thread on swapping the DEXT8 (I think) chassis onto a Kraton.

Yes, checked with him, still unfinished project. Would be great if it was possible with good results.

Last edited:
Im very disappointed at the chassis also. I bought a kraton friday, ran it it yesterday for the first time, and no more than 15 minutes i bent it.REALLY!? all i did was hit a jump and got about 10 feet in air . im out now looking for aluminum rod to run from shock tower to tower. Hopefully this will prevent it from bending again.

Im very disappointed at the chassis also. I bought a kraton friday, ran it it yesterday for the first time, and no more than 15 minutes i bent it.REALLY!? all i did was hit a jump and got about 10 feet in air . im out now looking for aluminum rod to run from shock tower to tower. Hopefully this will prevent it from bending again.

Yeah, I bent my Kraton chassis too - at a skate park, jumping it on the quarter-pipe ramp, straight up 15'-20'.
So what that it only took 15 minutes and a hammer to fix.[/sarcasm]

But really, the way we beat on our cars, I am amazed when I get home and only have some minor bent shock towers or a tweeeked chassis.

Yeah, I bent my Kraton chassis too - at a skate park, jumping it on the quarter-pipe ramp, straight up 15'-20'.
So what that it only took 15 minutes and a hammer to fix.[/sarcasm]

But really, the way we beat on our cars, I am amazed when I get home and only have some minor bent shock towers or a tweeeked chassis.
Lol i guess a hammer would do it

I don't know what the hell you guys are doing but my Talion chassis has held up like a champ......you must be landing huge jumps terribly lol. Its true what Woodie says when you bend aluminium it weakens terribly and hammering it straight will just weaken it further....i would learn to land better lol.

Is hardened aluminum really that much more expensive the soft aluminum? How much more for a 3.5 or 4 mm thick over a soft 3mm? Or how much to add a couple of bends down the length? Users need value and toughness for there $$, otherwise they get discouraged and say the hobby is just to much trouble. What does that cost when a buyer is so disappointed they stop buying any RC products instead of buying more cars from a company that makes tough and lasting products.

Nearly all RTR's including Arrma vehicles use 6061 grade aluminium which is quite soft and will bend. Other higher end RC's (racers) like losi, associated etc etc use 7075 grade which is stronger but even then will still break although they will tend to snap rather than bend as it is more brittle than 6061. In short they can all be bent or broken given a hard enough crash, any rc will break if you don't land a huge jump correctly or if you hit something at high speed....there is no such thing as an rc that wont break......you could spend a lot more on a RC and it would break even more often, like all Traxxas models lol.

Is hardened aluminum really that much more expensive the soft aluminum? How much more for a 3.5 or 4 mm thick over a soft 3mm? Or how much to add a couple of bends down the length? Users need value and toughness for there $$, otherwise they get discouraged and say the hobby is just to much trouble. What does that cost when a buyer is so disappointed they stop buying any RC products instead of buying more cars from a company that makes tough and lasting products.

Arrma does go the extra mile on most of their aluminum. Look at the shock towers. 5mm for Arrma, 3mm for most other RTR's. Look at the massive drive shafts too. Yeah, the chassis could be beefier, but it is already a thick heavy slab of metal. Better braces would be a better upgrade that a thicker chassis, IMHO. And guess what the V3's have? :) And yeah, I did get aluminum braces for my Kraton. Great upgrade.

Oh, and on the 6061 vs 7075 - The other aluminum would cost probably 3x, plus, you can't beat it back flat when it bends. A bent 6061 chassis or shock tower can be fixed with a hammer.

Have to agree with Jerry rigged, lots of effort went into the Arrma cars. Although if you could buy 7075 chassis as an upgrade it would be awesome and they would sell by the bucket load.

I watch videos of guys landing 50-80 ft jumps one after another and the truck is fine. Occasionally you will see them break an a-arm or something. I go out and jump a 15ft jump and land like a donkey and break the whole front of the truck. Ive broke like every part on my Outcast. Its all about how you control it in the air!!!

Honestly this is why I don’t mind the plastic type chassis on some of my trucks (the Xmaxx specifically). I’ve never had an issue with the chassis and I’ll say that truck in my fleet takes the biggest hits and jumps and shrugs them off. I did have a Talion V2 and had no problems with it. Arrma puts a lot of effort into their rc. My HPI trophy buggy bent its chassis after a bad hit off a rock. Needless to say I replaced the chassis and sold it lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back