Talion Talion EXB - first Diff issue ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatMarcus172

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Vorteks
Hi All

Im about 6 months in with my talion EXB. Im still a complete noob when it comes to 6S cars but very experienced with the 3S range. Prior to first running, a friend filled all the diffs for me and they've not been touched since but the car has only been used about 10 times in that period and only once for "biggish jump racing". Ive replaced a couple of bits - wing and wingmout and a front shock. Today I took it for some basic grass ripping and a couple of small jumps.
It sounded indefinably "wrong."
It seemed as though the front wheels were getting all the power and at max speed it was probably only going about half as fast as Id expect.

There was no obvious leaking oil anywhere.

I feel like the answer is inevitably going to be something diff related and that worries me as I was warned that even EXB diffs were "a constant problem" but figured that my relatively light usage would insulate me from that a fair bit.

Here are two videos
This one is of the car failing to get the power down
https://drive.google.com/file/d/166WdUz3eTcHAGn4Qw7rCqhM-iaP2fDmH/view?usp=sharing

and this one is what its likle when I flip it over and more power is clearly going to the front than back but the car IS still four wheel drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QMSI6_ehurdWBU3YzlTydmO_zkhoKp4u/view?usp=sharing

If indeed I do need to replace a diff, Im open to any upgrades that might make the replacements last longer. I know better diff cases have a positive effect on the 3S range. Do they add any value for the 6S range if the diff cases are already exb ones ? My friends are always breaking pins inside diff cases. Are there better pins available, if indeed thats the issue ?

Because ive never opened any of the diffs, I'll need to find some tutorial videos on how to access them.

All advice much appreciated.

Patrick

Arrma has a great diff video on how to put it together. The one time I had only power to the rear I had broken a sun gear in my center diff. If half your car has no power I'd start at the center diff but that is just me. 😎 👍

Sound like a broken diff; probably a broken a sun gear or stripped input pinion gear. Had both last month in my EXB. Problem was the two bearings in the diff housing were worn resulting in play in the input pinion gear. I only realized it after replacing the sun gear and input pinion gear. Stripped sun gear again and then went to check the bearings.

Agree, start with the center diff. I keep an extra center diff as a spare for rebuild purposes. If it fails I just swap it and rebuild the broken one later. I also recommend the aluminum case for the center diff. It heats up pretty good and can warp thus trashing the internals. Make sure to the the EXB case 29mm I believe.

My friends are always breaking pins inside diff cases. Are there better pins available, if indeed thats the issue ?

I haven't personally tried them myself but about to order them.

Hardened Undersized High-Speed M2 Tool Steel Rod 2.500 mm Diameter, 2-3/8" Long

I got the idea from this video

They are supposed to have a better fit then the stock ones allowing less play. Again I haven't tried it myself though. In the video he shows to get the 2.25mm pins but with the exb diffs they use a 2.5mm pin as shown in part ARRMA #ARA713033. Which is why I linked the 2.5mm version. They need to be cut to 11.5mm in length. Since the piece comes in 2 3/8 inch length I figure you need (2) rods if my calculations are correct. 25.4mm per 1 inch. 25.4 = 2.375 (inches) = 60.325mm length of one rod. 11.5mm x 6 (need 6 for all the diffs) = 69mm so you would need two rods. Worse case order both sizes since they are only $3 a piece and see which ones works the best.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back