Talion Talion EXB Pinion vs Tire choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandals100

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wanting to suss out some new tire options for my Talion EXB. Still using stock electronics however currently have an 18T pinion on it and dual fans, I've chewed through the stock Katar's and want to go into something that would work better for bashing (more cushion etc). With tires being so expensive I've found a 2nd hand set of Louise MT-Uphills that are barely used however my concern is the increase in tire size from 146mm to 170mm. Other option were the Backflip LP's but they're pretty hard to find here in Aus.

My budget is a little on the tighter side hence looking at the 2nd hand market.

Open to other suggestions on tire choices and happy to drop pinion size down to either the stock 15t or more like the 13t that the Kratons use. Had my fund with big speed runs so don't mind loosing a little bit of top end for the sake of bashing. I run it on 4s and 6s.

TIA

Last edited:
Welcome! I do not have a Talion I have a Kraton but wanted to welcome you. Someone with that rig will chime it...it's a smart question... Tire choice is so important.

Try this. Mine isn't an exb... but a built v4 with exb diffs. This ran me $14 for tape, $50 for tires and I reused wheels. So far, they've been great. Did a set of minokawas after and run em up to 68mph with no issues

Try this. Mine isn't an exb... but a built v4 with exb diffs. This ran me $14 for tape, $50 for tires and I reused wheels. So far, they've been great. Did a set of minokawas after and run em up to 68mph with no issues

Thats a smart idea, I'm not too concerned about the ballooning but more so heat and other issues with the increase in tire diameter. I also have the Katar T's not the Katar B's which have the small diameter rim.
Welcome! I do not have a Talion I have a Kraton but wanted to welcome you. Someone with that rig will chime it...it's a smart question... Tire choice is so important.
Thanks Parcou!

I like the 4s outcast tires. Mine hold up to a hobbystar 1730kv geared 24/46.

talion2.jpg

talion4.jpg

Thats a smart idea, I'm not too concerned about the ballooning but more so heat and other issues with the increase in tire diameter. I also have the Katar T's not the Katar B's which have the small diameter rim.
I missed some important details in your original post. Sorry, I was trying to breathe and read at the same time. Apparently I can't do that very well haha! If you can't find backflip lp tires, the regular 6s backflips are decent for bashing. I'm finding it's cheaper to glue your own tires if possible... but they're so hard to find not pre-mounted. I'd also throw a vote for the Minokawas if you can find some. 👊🏿

Hi All,

Wanting to suss out some new tire options for my Talion EXB. Still using stock electronics however currently have an 18T pinion on it and dual fans, I've chewed through the stock Katar's and want to go into something that would work better for bashing (more cushion etc). With tires being so expensive I've found a 2nd hand set of Louise MT-Uphills that are barely used however my concern is the increase in tire size from 146mm to 170mm. Other option were the Backflip LP's but they're pretty hard to find here in Aus.

My budget is a little on the tighter side hence looking at the 2nd hand market.

Open to other suggestions on tire choices and happy to drop pinion size down to either the stock 15t or more like the 13t that the Kratons use. Had my fund with big speed runs so don't mind loosing a little bit of top end for the sake of bashing. I run it on 4s and 6s.

TIA
I run all size of tires.
With the 175mm I usually run 3s and it drives beautiful (15t). With 6s the rig is so heavy the handling suffers even more.

I went to a CC 1717 - 1650KV now and a 23t pinion and the car is an animal, but a very controllable animal. Just love it.

Haven't tried 23t, 6s @ 175mm on the 1650kv yet - need a nicer day

Damn that's a lot of jargon

Screenshot_20220203-150957.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-002618.jpg

Screenshot_20220208-002658.jpg

I like the 4s outcast tires. Mine hold up to a hobbystar 1730kv geared 24/46.

View attachment 199040

View attachment 199041
Yeah I tried a mates backflips and it was awesome, car wheelied heaps more than the Katars but was good fun. Just wanted to see if there were any other options that might have been cheaper.
I missed some important details in your original post. Sorry, I was trying to breathe and read at the same time. Apparently I can't do that very well haha! If you can't find backflip lp tires, the regular 6s backflips are decent for bashing. I'm finding it's cheaper to glue your own tires if possible... but they're so hard to find not pre-mounted. I'd also throw a vote for the Minokawas if you can find some. 👊🏿
Haha you're all good. Only concern with the 6s backflips was my current gearing. Have only ever seen 1 set of Minokawas pop up haha they're like hens teeth

Yeah I tried a mates backflips and it was awesome, car wheelied heaps more than the Katars but was good fun. Just wanted to see if there were any other options that might have been cheaper.
Katars and backflips are the best value probably

Especially if you can order from the US

I run all size of tires.
With the 175mm I usually run 3s and it drives beautiful (15t). With 6s the rig is so heavy the handling suffers even more.

I went to a CC 1717 - 1650KV now and a 23t pinion and the car is an animal, but a very controllable animal. Just love it.

Haven't tried 23t, 6s @ 175mm on the 1650kv yet - need a nicer day

Damn that's a lot of jargon

View attachment 199121

View attachment 199119

View attachment 199120
I've never seen that many wheels lined up haha. I'll eventually upgrade the stock 150a to something like the hobbwing combo.

Did you ever try the big tire on 4s with the stock combo?
Katars and backflips are the best value probably

Especially if you can order from the US
Yeah seems like it. And for sure its alot cheaper than buying here in Aus

I've never seen that many wheels lined up haha. I'll eventually upgrade the stock 150a to something like the hobbwing combo.

Did you ever try the big tire on 4s with the stock combo?

Yeah seems like it. And for sure its alot cheaper than buying here in Aus
I'm in Canada, so we're screwed just like the rest of the Commonwealth for shipping.

Haven't tried 4s yet, only 3s and 6s. I got 2 x 4s batteries on the way and I'll try 4s and 8s then

Big tires on stock hardware with 3s was really great. But you handle so much better with smaller wheels. Bigger wheels is better jumping and landing, better over all terrain/multi terrain, but sacrifice agility and handling.

The common forum belief that the big tires make your rig heavy and more breakable does not hold up because the tires themselves act like an additional suspension component to absorb shock. I much rather jump 100 feet at 16lbs and 165mm tires than 13 lbs and 140mm tires

Just make sure you land on all 4

I'm in Canada, so we're screwed just like the rest of the Commonwealth for shipping.

Haven't tried 4s yet, only 3s and 6s. I got 2 x 4s batteries on the way and I'll try 4s and 8s then

Big tires on stock hardware with 3s was really great. But you handle so much better with smaller wheels. Bigger wheels is better jumping and landing, better over all terrain/multi terrain, but sacrifice agility and handling.

The common forum belief that the big tires make your rig heavy and more breakable does not hold up because the tires themselves act like an additional suspension component to absorb shock. I much rather jump 100 feet at 16lbs and 165mm tires than 13 lbs and 140mm tires

Just make sure you land on all 4
Wouldn't have thought that, I assumed Canada would have been equally as good. How was it on 6s? I usually run both 4s and 6s.

I'm expecting the handling to be worse but I have a few other sets of wheels which I can pick between.

And I totally agree on your sentiment regarding big tires and weight. Would rather land on a thick side wall instead of hard plastic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back