Talion Talion EXB Ultra Track Basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21STalion

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hello everyone

This is my Talion build

IMG_20220107_032536.jpg

IMG_20220109_154238.jpg

IMG_20220109_154257.jpg

Last edited:
Track day 1

Comments:
Car jumps beautifully with the M2C shocks, this is the first track day since the car was completed and when I am starting to keep ... track. On the earlier trial day the car did bounce after the big jumps, but with the M2C shock caps/valves the car jumps and sticks to the ground much better - bounce almost completely eliminated. The steering felt overly sharp, oversteering at will. The rear swings out under power causing me to overcompensate with steering. Hard, but not too difficult to control. 3 other racers with 3s level vehicles there (typhoon & slash 4x4), this car seemed to easily outperform them, was able to move fast around the corners and overtake on the straights, seemed to jump nicer and more stable. The tires were a big let down, and struggled to find traction everywhere. Was a great day!

Driver requests: better tires, softer shock oil rear, lighter center diff, lighter rear diff, wider rear track, less front end steer, more rear end grip, lighter rear sway bar, less curb weight, front shocks more laid down

Damage: No damages, no breakages. Motor threw an e-clip and truck made some very low speed grinding noises but it went away.

Conditions: Cold, track was loose and moist/muddy

Vehicle Setup:
Wheels:
Belted Katars
Curb Weight: 13.4 lbs
Battery: 2x 3s Harcase (760gr)
Front Diff: 50k, LSD max
Center Diff: 100k LSD min
Rear Diff: 10k, LSD max
Front shocks: stock height, 1,000cst, M2C ZRS bladderless, more upright position
Rear shocks: stock height, 1,000cst, M2C ZRS bladderless, ,more upright position
Upper A-arms: all forward
Acumen Arm: forward position
Front camber zero, caster stock, toe zero
Rear camber/caster/toe stock

track1 (2).jpg

Gonna be an animal!(y)

Thank you - This is my 3rd hobby RC and gotta say this one takes the CAKE so far (y)

Last edited:
RPM Parts Issues

Okay, to be fair, RPM does not claim that their arms work with the V5 EXB vehicles, these vehicles have MUCH beefier arms that are heavy. I really wanted the RPM arms to work, but they fit poorly. The front a-arms had trouble keeping the alignment stable. The front steering blocks would flop over. The lower shock pins were too long (V4 or earlier versions are needed). Droop screws poorly align. The issues are endless.

After running the RPM arms for a while I quickly switched back to the stock EXB arms as soon as parts came in. It's a shame, hope RPM makes arms for this model one day - these don't fit well enough for me.

Part weights:
RPM
Front Upper: 24.2 gr
EXB
Front Upper: 22.5 gr

RPM
Front Lower: 35.8 gr
EXB
Front Lower: 55.7gr

RPM
Rear Lower: 47.9 gr
EXB
Rear Lower: 61.8 gr

Total potential weight savings (front upper excluded): 67.6 gr

The Damage:
Busted (2).jpg
Compare (2).jpg

The pin that's too long:

Pin long.jpg

Front Upper Comparison:
RPM front upper.jpg
EXB front upper (2).jpg

Front Lower Comparison:
RPM front lower (2).jpg

EXB front lower (2).jpg

Rear Lower Comparison:
RPM rear lower.jpg

EXB rear lower (2).jpg

M2C 4MM Chassis Upgrade

This was a win. It's a little expensive, but it fit perfect, and it is noticeably stiffer than the EXB. The stock EXB feels like it can be bent in your hands, the M2C feels almost unbendable. This feels like a solid upgrade, the fit is perfect, all the holes are further countersunk for extra protection and no need for larger screws. Don't order the droop screws like I did and end up with 2 sets (the chassis came with droop screws but didn't mention it, or I didn't notice it mentioned).

Highly recommended upgrade- Top tier upgrade ($$$)

Although, had I known a titanium option was available I would have probably gone that way. I would prefer the sparks when it grinds 🤷‍♂️. If I managed to break this one I will look into Ti

Is it wrong that I'm hoping it bends?

Weights:
M2C 4MM 469 gr
EXB 343 gr

Total weight increase: 126 gr

Chassis Comparison:
m2c chassis (2).jpg
EXB chassis (2).jpg

max6+4985 combo is what you need.
You also should to make this your build thread.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will def look into that.

Last edited:
Servo Upgrade:

Have to admit I was cheaping out on this one. I don't know why I didn't just grab a top shelf servo, but something was telling me to roll the dice on a bang good servo, so far so good. It's been amazing actually...lets see how long it lasts.

JX BLS-HV7032MG 30KG Large Torque High Voltage Brushless Digital Servo​

https://www.banggood.com/JX-BLS-HV7...gn=23780708&utm_content=3216&cur_warehouse=CN

Operating Voltage: DC 4.8V-8.4V
Operating Speed: (6.0V) 0.09 sec/60°
Operating Speed: (8.4V) 0.07 sec/60°
Stall Torque: (6.0V) 26.3 kg.cm (364.96oz/in)
Stall Torque: (8.4V) 32.51kg-cm 451.18 oz/in)
Dimensions: 40.5X20.5X36mm /1.59 X0.80X1.43 in

Review: The stock EXB servo was okay, but not great. It wasn't fast and it only had just enough power. I appreciate that it was waterproof, but it would buzz near full lock. The JX servo was an upgrade in every way. It is probably one of the fastest servos I have ever used, snap snap snap no lag, seems to turn faster than I can turn the wheel (excellent!). There is ZERO buzzing at full lock, it has more than enough power to just spin the EXB servo saver and not care. I would say this is the servo the truck should have come with. I felt I got a tremendous value here. Shame its not waterproof or would almost be the perfect servo. Oh, and I'm only using at 7.4V, would love to get it to 8.4V somehow...

Fitment: I would like to say it plopped right in, but it didn't for some reason. Took a while to install, and I'm not sure why. It's a little tight, but perfectly acceptable fit.

Highly Recommended upgrade - Top tier economy upgrade!

Stock EXB servo S652: 62.9 gr
JX BLS-HV7032MG servo: 72.8 gr

Weight difference: 9.9 gr

Only downside I see is that it's not waterproof. If this fails I'll get the following:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-...l-gear-servo-sav-sb-2292sg/p-qqacqzwapczxactz

Also looking at this servo:
https://www.promodeler.com/DS635BLHV

Also not waterproof....did I mention I run all weather?

Comparison:
JX BLS HV7032MG (2).jpg
JX BLS HV7032MG (1).jpg
Servo1 (2).jpg

Last edited:
M2C Shock Towers:

Review:

This was another easy one. The upgrade to strength is immediately obvious and noticeable. The Talion versions are more sleek and compact than the Kraton, the M2C version seems less beefy too, but not weak. They are also much shorter than Kraton towers, so don't need to be as thick.

Fitment: Perfect, just screw everything up. The material drilled very easily, just like the EXB material. It's still just aluminum even if its 7075 T6. Very happy with the upgrade because it is significant strength increase and the weight increase is negligible.

Highly recommended upgrade

Weights
M2C
Front Shock Tower: 31.8 gr
EXB
Front Shock Tower: 30.9 gr

M2C
Rear Shock Tower: 56.2 gr
EXB
Rear Shock Tower: 56 gr

Weight difference: 2.2 gr

*please be advised that the EXB shock towers were drilled for the thicker shock mounts so they might be a tiny bit lighter than stock. The M2C towers were not yet drilled, and I drilled all 4 holes. So it's a smudge lighter :)

Front shock tower comparison:
EXB front.jpg
M2C front.jpg

Rear shock tower comparison:
EXB Rear.jpg
M2C Rear.jpg

Rear thickness comparison:
Thickness.jpg

3 (2).jpg

Last edited:
M2C 3130 Off Road Rear Hinge Pin Kit:

Review:
What a fabulous upgrade. It so much stronger than the stock EXB unit and lighter to boot. I don't know how you can have such thick aluminum and be so much lighter. The pins are superior as well as the blocks. Only reason not to do this is $$$. Bravo M2C for building such a nice piece.

Fitment: Perfect fit, just screw it in.

Highly Recommended Upgrade

Weights
M2C
40.6 gr
EXB 41.7 gr

Comparison:
EXB rear hinge.jpg
M2C rear hinge.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

3 (2).jpg

Last edited:
M2C 3130 Off Road Rear Hinge Pin Kit:

Review:
What a fabulous upgrade. It so much stronger than the stock EXB unit and lighter to boot. I don't know how you can have such thick aluminum and be so much lighter. The pins are superior as well as the blocks. Only reason not to do this is $$$. Bravo M2C for building such a nice piece.

Fitment: Perfect fit, just screw it in.

Highly Recommended Upgrade

Weights
M2C
40.6 gr
EXB 41.7 gr

Comparison:
View attachment 182019View attachment 182020

View attachment 182018View attachment 182021

View attachment 182017
Super nice upgrades. I like they make a front one now that u can still use the stock EXB bumper.

Super nice upgrades. I like they make a front one now that u can still use the stock EXB bumper.
Thanks Jordan - that brings me to M2C 3125 front hinge pin support system

Review:
Love the piece, but hate you cannot remove the diff cover and there is no good solution for rear screws. (CORRECTION! I think we have found the solution to the rear screws, waiting on the parts now). Definitely a significant strength upgrade at little to no weight increase - especially if you can't get all the screws back in!

Fitment: This is where I started having some trouble. I'm surprised I can't find more pictures on this one, I must have been frustrated. There was a weight savings, and a strength increase. However, you lose a bit of convenience as you can no longer remove your diff cover without first removing the front blocks AKA first you must remove the entire front end to get the diff cover off. Also, one of the plastic pieces needed significant modification to fit, its a shell of its former self... oh well, the 5mm of 7075 T6 will have to make up for the loss of much of the plastic bumper block. Lastly, the rear screws that hold the bumper cover to the chassis...don't fit well. The rear hinge pins interfere with the use of a nut on the chassis side, there is no longer plastic to screw it with the original pieces removed. I tried to use a long screw and a lock nut, but it was too micky mouse for this build. I have resorted to zap-strapping it, which break every run. Not please about this, almost willing to chuck the upgrade away. However, the added strength is significant, I really want to use these parts, and I can live with the diff cover hassle. But I need to solve the rear fastener issue.

Caution Recommended- Possible solution found!
m2c 3510 ARRMA 6S CAPTURED 1 PIECE HINGE PINS
Thanks Jordan10R

Parts have been ordered!

Part you will need to modify:
to modify.jpg

Fitment Detail:
2.jpg
1.jpg
poor fit 2.jpg
poor fit.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jordan - that brings me to M2C 3125 front hinge pin support system

Review:
Love the piece, but hate you cannot remove the diff cover and there is no good solution for rear screws. Definitely a significant strength upgrade at little to no weight increase - especially if you can't get all the screws back in!

Fitment: This is where I started having some trouble. I'm surprised I can't find more picture on this one. There was a weight savings, and a strength increase. However, you lose a bit of convenience as you can no longer remove your diff cover without first removing the front blocks. Also, one of the plastic pieces needed significant modification to fit, its a shell of its former self... oh well, the 5mm of 7075 T6 will have to make up for the loss of some plastic bumper block. Lastly, the rear screws that hold the bumper to the chassis...don't fit well. The rear hinge pins interfere with the use of a nut on the chassis, there is no longer plastic to screw it into. I have resorted to zap-strapping it, which break every run. Not please about this. However, the added strength is significant, I really want to use these parts, and I can live with the diff cover hassle. But I need to solve the rear fastener issue.

Caution Recommended- not for everyone, skip it if you like things nice and neat

Part you will need to modify:

View attachment 182029

Fitment Detail:
View attachment 182026View attachment 182025View attachment 182027View attachment 182028
Did u use the new hing pins that just have the one but and flat part on other end? Supposed to help with the screws in the back underneath. I'll have take pic mine when I get off work.

M2C 3035 rear shock tower brace

Another flop! Oh no!

Review: Again, a beautiful quality piece, but it doesn't really fit the Talion. This one is to be continued because I'm going to need to figure it out. The Tower to Tower brace is in the way a bit and the part is WAY too proud of the rear shock tower and will need a LOT of beef cut off it, too much in fact. The meat that will be left won't have as much engagement as I would like. More micky mouse fun house...

Fitment: Poor!

Not Recommended for Talion EXB!

Help me out people, what did I do wrong?

m2c rear tower brace.jpg

Last edited:

Another flop! Oh no!

Review: Again, a beautiful quality piece, but it doesn't really fit the Talion. This one is to be continued because I'm going to need to figure it out. The Tower to Tower brace is in the way a bit and the part is WAY too proud of the rear shock tower and will need a LOT of beef cut off it, too much in fact. The meat that will be left won't have as much engagement as I would like. More micky mouse fun house...

View attachment 182031

Yesssss! that is exactly what I need! Thank you buddy!

Edit: The video I think is something else. And I can't seem to order 3510 on its own. I better call M2C tomorrow.

Here, I found it, I'll order these right away.

Why do you recommend this combo?

Looks like its out of stock :(
https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbyw...-4985sl-1650kv-hwa38010801/p-qqzztauqpczxactz

How do I make this my build thread?
Hobbywing is having a sale for $205 for that combo https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/max6-combos?variant=18438418104435
I have heard that the max6 is the best esc for a basher and the 4985 is a huge motor with a lot of power.
I personally run the blx185 (similar to a max8) and the 4092. This combo is on the lighter side of things but still has a huge amount of power. I am planning on putting a max6 or max8 in the talion when my blx185 breaks.

As for the build thread...I forgot. @WoodiE made a thread about how to update you build thread.

Amazing build thread! Thank you!

I can really appreciate you geeking-out with the weight of all individual components and upgrades. I am not doing this for RC bashers, but I was weighting all the parts when I was building my two BMX Race bikes (scratch builds). Weight was a very important purchase criteria for each components. I had spreadsheets of claimed VS actual weight for each parts and I knew where there was still room for improvement. That was a lot of fun. :)

Another flop! Oh no!

View attachment 182031

Yesssss! that is exactly what I need! Thank you buddy!

Edit: The video I think is something else. And I can't seem to order 3510 on its own. I better call M2C tomorrow.
Did u watch the hole thing? Sorry wrong vid her ya go

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back