Talion Talion EXB XL (another)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton 4s
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Outcast 6s
  8. Outcast 4s
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 3s
  11. Vorteks
My Talion has recently been promoted to my favorite RC, so I decided to make a XL version. Got all the parts from Jenny's. Planning to keep it pretty much stock until I have the need for upgrades, other than a few select items such as HR Diff covers and 3DRC Bumper and wing mount.
IMG_4618.jpeg

I decided to go EXB on the F&R diffs, but will be going standard with the center. I've never had any problems with the stock center, and wanted to get the 46T spur gear already included rather than having to buy the EXB center diff with the 50T, then buying a smaller spur from Vitavon or Robinson Racing. I put the aluminum diff cover on from the start as I don't want this thing to start slinging fluid down the road. Currently starting the center diff at around 400K.

Going 50K front and 30K rear in the diffs. Open diff using the Arrma shims, however, if they start giving me trouble I'll go with my buddy @HZRDOS's stronger 29mm diff method. Since this is a XLWB I'm not planning on sending it too much, will mostly be a speed ripper like my smaller Talion. But we will see...

IMG_4622.jpeg

Started the build last night, referring to the exploded view is a little tougher than I thought lol. I swear my screw kit from JRC is missing 8 M4x12mm's for the bulkheads...good thing I have a ton of extra screws. Although I feel like once I get to the end I'm gonna have a ton of screws leftover ha.

Ran into an issue right off the bat with the stock bulkheads...the M3x12's that are supposed to secure the D block, one of them has no bite at all. I went up to 16mm then 20mm but still no luck, So one side of the bulkhead isn't secured into the D block, but it is still secured from the chassis below so I think I'll be okay for a little while anyway. I didn't plan on upgrading to aluminum bulkheads as I've done them o some other builds in the past and they seemed unnecessary, especially when pairing the stock bulkhead with the aluminum cover. I also did manage to bend one on my Kraton on a roof landing once.

But for reasons such as these, they may be worth it? Or I could just swap it out for a spare plastic bulkhead I have laying around. But as I said, I figured since the D block is also secured from the chassis from below it should be fine until I have to do some diff maintenance down the road.

Thoughts?
IMG_4630.jpeg

On to stiffening the servo saver, I put two snap rings under the EXB spring and am planning on running a JX 35kg servo on 7.4 volts. Works like a charm in my regular Talion so we'll see. Also replaced the crappy bushings for bearings from Fast Eddy.

IMG_4626.jpeg

Currently awaiting the front 157mm dogbone for the XLWB chassis, so moving on to mounting the electronics. My combo of choice is a Castle MMX8s and 1650kv combo. Very similar to what @Deiglie did in his recent build log. Not gonna lie, his log was a big inspiration for this one lol. I'll start off running a 20T pinion with the 46T spur and see how it does.

IMG_4629.jpeg

Current status, still waiting on more items to be delivered. I'll be running Kraton hubs on this rig. Figured it would be nice to have the extended width build in, although I've wondered if I should run the shorter Talion ones and just add extenders if I need. But I feel pretty good with the Kraton hubs for now, I run my regular Talion with the 1/2' offset proline wheels and love the stance, so with backflip LP's I'm planning on running here, it will be an equivalent width.

IMG_4631.jpeg

On to mounting the ESC and servo. Appreciate the feedback as you all follow me through this build!

Last edited:
Wow!! Looks absolutely stunning, the sexiest rc car out there.

I have also tighten the servosaver (on all my Arrma 6s) and switched to bearings.
Won't 20t be a little small with 46t spur? I drive 27t/46s.
I run 24/50 in my Kraton XL with same combo..

Won't 20t be a little small with 46t spur? I drive 27t/46s.
I run 24/50 in my Kraton XL with same combo..
Thanks man!

Yeah I was thinking that after re reading your build log. I have a bad history with this motor and the wires coming de soldered, hence the red 8awg wires and ugly soldering job lol. That led me to start off on the lower end of things and then progress up from there. I'm not gonna be doing speed runs with this like I was in my Infraction obviously, but the wires did come unsoldered when I was bashing my Infraction. I'll play around with it lol.

Thanks man!

Yeah I was thinking that after re reading your build log. I have a bad history with this motor and the wires coming de soldered, hence the red 8awg wires and ugly soldering job lol. That led me to start off on the lower end of things and then progress up from there. I'm not gonna be doing speed runs with this like I was in my Infraction obviously, but the wires did come unsoldered when I was bashing my Infraction. I'll play around with it lol.
Btw, I use Kraton hubs (because the extra length)

Making progress, got the ESC mounted and upgraded the fan. Servo is in now also. This JX servo is on the taller side, it won't fit with the stock EXB mount without some modifications. I had to use the supplied supports to raise the servo up from the chassis as well as cut up some spare plastic to raise it even more.
IMG_4635.jpeg

Motor and ESC were pretty straightforward, This chassis has a ton of room to fit the ESC, it fit pretty well on the stock plate as well after sanding it flat.
IMG_4638.jpeg

In my experience the stock castle fans always break fins, and that was based from on-road usage. So I upgraded the fan before that would have more than likely happened on my first or second run. I attached it to the castle plug so it would only turn on when the ESC told it to. I had it hard wired into the ESC on my Infraction build and I think that's what contributed to my motor wires unsoldering. The ESC was cool and kept pushing power when it probably would have cut things off had the stock fan and setup been in there.

IMG_4637.jpeg

I'm a little worried that if you like it too much...I will feel really bad when you want me to try it and I crash it with my awesome driving skills. Haha

Went ahead and put on the wing along with the 3DRC wing mount. Props to @3d-rc.myshopify.com for the awesome mounts. To extend the rear body mounts I used this product from Amazon. Perfect fit. To connect the mount to the spacer itself I used some M3x8mm grub screws that I got a while ago here. 8mm was probably as short as I'd go, I would've preferred to go longer but the longest that kit comes in for M3 is 8mm.
IMG_4646.jpeg

IMG_4642.jpeg

Done about as much as I can do now, just waiting for parts to be delivered. I should be able to take this out for a test run on Tuesday. Getting really excited to try it out especially with the castle combo, thing should be wild!

IMG_4647.jpeg

Finished the build a couple weeks ago...and man, I love it. I opted for +10mm wheel extenders and I love how it handles. It's a little prone to oversteer, so I'm utilizing the gyro in my Flysky and its awesome. The car drives like my 6S infraction offroad, drifts very smooth and has tons of power.
IMG_4662.jpeg

IMG_4663.jpeg

IMG_4664.jpeg

IMG_4665.jpeg
IMG_4666.jpeg

IMG_4667.jpeg

IMG_4672.jpeg

IMG_4674.jpeg

IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4676.jpeg

Didn't take long for my motor to go kaput. Must've killed it in my infraction, oh well. I had a Hobbystar 4092 1480kv laying around, so was happy to throw that in here. Only issue was the motor wires were too long, so had to extend them.
IMG_4686.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

IMG_4692.jpeg

IMG_4694.jpeg

IMG_4695.jpeg

IMG_4696.jpeg

Works like a charm and the motor is just as powerful as the castle 1717 1650kv. Running it with a 25T pinion.
Tried giving it a bash without a fan, and not a good idea. Temp gun was reading around 250F! So threw on a powerhobby heat sink and made my own 40mm server fan. After that I'm hitting 150 at most! I'm pleasantly surprised!
IMG_4713.jpeg

IMG_4714.jpeg

IMG_4715.jpeg

Last edited:
Love how you vented the body for the fan. Not sure that you had this in mind, but it would be cool to make a "deflector" to ramp up over the top of the cutout to discourage debris entering, but still let the air out toward the back or something. just brainstorming :)

Love the build. Is this a mojave chassis? I have a brand new Talion sitting here and thinking about a stretch with a speed run talion.

Yup, Mojave chassis. Tough call. I have this Talion XL as well as a normal Talion, and I love both of them equally. It's great having options for multiple bash locations.
Love the build. Is this a mojave chassis? I have a brand new Talion sitting here and thinking about a stretch with a speed run talion.

Went ahead and put on the wing along with the 3DRC wing mount. Props to @3d-rc.myshopify.com for the awesome mounts. To extend the rear body mounts I used this product from Amazon. Perfect fit. To connect the mount to the spacer itself I used some M3x8mm grub screws that I got a while ago here. 8mm was probably as short as I'd go, I would've preferred to go longer but the longest that kit comes in for M3 is 8mm.
View attachment 198400
View attachment 198401

Done about as much as I can do now, just waiting for parts to be delivered. I should be able to take this out for a test run on Tuesday. Getting really excited to try it out especially with the castle combo, thing should be wild!

View attachment 198402
Can you tell me what length of spacer you used because I have found 45 and 55mm on the forums from others and I'm trying to figure the right ones.

Can you tell me what length of spacer you used because I have found 45 and 55mm on the forums from others and I'm trying to figure the right ones.
I'm researching a stretched Talion build which lead me to this thread. His link takes you to the 45mm so Im assuming thats the one he used. The 55mm is what people use for stretched typhons on a kraton chassis.

View attachment 198400
View attachment 198401

View attachment 198402
Killer build, hopefully starting mine this weekend.

Edit: deleted question same as Vulthraxis’
Ss

Very Nice Build!! (y) 👏

Has it held up to any crashes?

EDIT: :banghead: All I needed to do was scroll down just a bit further to see the 45mm part! Thanks @Moirae

Last edited:
Very Nice Build!! (y) 👏

To clarify you needed the 45mm body post standoffs and the body fit on there well? Has it held up to any crashes?
Yes and mine has held up well. Also the new basher queen option to consider now as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back