Talion - gearing with smaller tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Just picked up a brand new Talion. I believe it's the V4 (with the red center brace). I'm looking to put some smaller tires on for pavement runs but I'm not trying for speed records. I would like to keep the factory electronics and run on 6S. At the moment I'm leaning towards running some Infraction or Limitless tires, which are 4 inches tall. What pinion should I use that will stay within the limits of the stock electronics?

The Talion tires (Katars) are 146mm and with a 20t pinion are good for about 72mph after you account for about 10mm of tire growth at that speed. The tires from the infraction (hoons) are 100mm. If you did nothing more than change tires with the same 20t pinion you’d be looking at a top speed of 47mph.
I think that the most you could get out of the Talion running the hoons would be around 63-64mph and that’s if you ran a 25t pinion mated to a 46t spur from an infraction. That’s assuming you want to stay with a silicone filled center diff and not use a spool gear in the center.

The speed pinion is recommended with the factory height tires, which are 146mm. I'm switching to 100mm. By my math, I should be using a 29t or 30t pinion. That's the theory anyway, but will it check out in the real world? Hoping to get some input by those who's tried it. Pinion's aren't expensive ... but they're not exactly cheap.

If you plan to run only road tires, I would switch the ring/pinion of the front/rear diffs to the ones from the Typhon/Senton/Infraxtion. That way you can keep a good 60mph plus speeds on 16 to 19t pinion

The speed pinion is recommended with the factory height tires, which are 146mm. I'm switching to 100mm. By my math, I should be using a 29t or 30t pinion. That's the theory anyway, but will it check out in the real world? Hoping to get some input by those who's tried it. Pinion's aren't expensive ... but they're not exactly cheap.
If you plan on using the stock motor mount the largest pinion that mates to a 50t spur is 24t. If you went with the slightly smaller infraction 46t spur you could squeeze a couple more teeth on the pinion side before you run out of adjustment

awesome, good info! what would the rough equivalent of 24/50 be on a 46t spur? I'm thinking I'll get a 24t - 28t along with a 46t spur and see what happens.

@Yonic I don't want to limit myself to just on-road only. I want to be able to quickly change between different setups as I wish. Thanks for the insight tho!

Good stuff Mr. Duke! Looks like you know your Arrmas. This helps a ton, and I've narrowed down the list of things I need to buy.

Does anyone have actual outer diameter measurements of above mentioned pinions? 24 thru 28t and 46t spur?

Thanks in advance!

So, I bought a 26t and 46t spur based on feedback here. Looks to fit just about at the end of the adjustment range. Thanks for the spot on advice!

What's my theoretical top speed with the stock tires on 6S? Will the stock setup handle this gearing?

Still waiting on batteries to show up, so I'm just bench racing for now

26/46 gearing with the stock tires comes in at roughly100mph (mathematically) on 6s and you’ll experience excessive heat buildup in the motor and ESC that will need to be monitored closely. Once your 100mm road tires come in that same gearing will net speeds in the mid 60’s

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back