Talion motor upgrade. Turnigy motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klappars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I would like some opinions/advice from anyone who has changed the motor to a lower kv in an arrma 1/8.

I currently have a turnigy xk4074 2000 kv motor.

Running 17/50 gearing on 4S it's right up to the limit in terms of temperature at about 65-75c (149-167f) on 4S but on 6S it goes above 90c (200f). I'm concerned this is too hot and I might end up destroying the motor again like I did with a hobbywing 2200kv (the rotor magnets shattered).

I have bought a turnigy xk3674 1650kv in the hope that a lower kv will lower temperature. However since the motor is narrower and is easier to turn I have doubts on this.

Can anyone share experience or recommend a motor that will run cooler than my 2000kv?

I don't want to gear down because I want decent speed. Looking for just under 40mph on 4S and 55+ on 6S.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_202030.jpg
    IMG_20190304_202030.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 158
None of those motors are going to run cool on 6s. The first one is basically the same as the stock BLX185 which gets toasty on the speed pinions. I think the 2nd one will be worse. I just picked up a Hobbystar 4092 1730Kv motor from RC Juice. This is a pretty popular motor and won't overheat unless you go big pinion. Rich Duperbash runs a 20t in his Kraton. I run a 19t in mine and it's fast.

None of those motors are going to run cool on 6s. The first one is basically the same as the stock BLX185 which gets toasty on the speed pinions. I think the 2nd one will be worse. I just picked up a Hobbystar 4092 1730Kv motor from RC Juice. This is a pretty popular motor and won't overheat unless you go big pinion. Rich Duperbash runs a 20t in his Kraton. I run a 19t in mine and it's fast.
Only problem is that cost of buying a hobbystar motor from the US. It would cost about £90-£100!

I run a hobbystar 4092 but the 1480kv and it gets toasty on a 19t, I am surprised at the lack of speed on 4s and that it gets warm easily on 6s with this gearing. I will drop down to a 16t or 17t after this weekend, I want to do a speed test on 8s.

Sorry if I'm reviving an old thread but I'm curious about how that motor does on 8s?

I ask because I have a redcat rampage xb e that I want to get to 8s but I cant find an aftermarket motor mount anywhere. So I'm trying to use a 1/8 scale motor at 8s to get the power I want while fitting in the stock motor mount

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back