Talion Talion or Kraton, which one should I buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afro Samurai

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
trying to decide....are they the same vehicle...or is the talion possibly more geared towards truggy racing and the kraton 100% the same vehicle but only with monster tires?...then you have a typhon ...which looks the same only a buggy version...shorter...so is the typhon intended to be the only true rc racing 1/8 scale buggy ?...

is the talion intended for the 1/8 Scale racing truggy class or is it actually too large? ..I have a nero...so that fits my bashing...but I would like another arrma that could do some of the nero style bashing but also get on the track with all the other normal class vehicles ..just wondering if talion is the true 1/8 racing truggy and typhon is intended for true 1/8 racing buggy...

trying to decide....are they the same vehicle...or is the talion possibly more geared towards truggy racing and the kraton 100% the same vehicle but only with monster tires?...then you have a typhon ...which looks the same only a buggy version...shorter...so is the typhon intended to be the only true rc racing 1/8 scale buggy ?...

is the talion intended for the 1/8 Scale racing truggy class or is it actually too large? ..I have a nero...so that fits my bashing...but I would like another arrma that could do some of the nero style bashing but also get on the track with all the other normal class vehicles ..just wondering if talion is the true 1/8 racing truggy and typhon is intended for true 1/8 racing buggy...
The only diffrence between the kraton and talion are tires and the talion is not as wide. The gearing is diffrent but with badlands on the kraton a gearing change is needed. I have a nero and a kraton. My next purchase will be a talion... i want something to put my badlands on i think they are to small looking on the kraton... i love my kraton and my nero.

the kraton and talion are geared the same, the takion is 1/8 truggy. the diffrences is the wheel axles and wheels hexs. the wheel hexs + the alxes move the wheel in half an inch the only difference

I'm also in a toss up over buying the Talion or the Kraton. I have the Typhon already an it rips on 6s with the badlands on it.

I have the Kraton, Talion and two Neros. By far the Kraton and Talion are my favorites. Basically they are the same truggy. With smaller tires the Talion is quicker. Both seem never to brake and we bash the crap out of them. On the other hand, The Nero is a BIG disappointment . They brake every time we take them out. Common parts that brake every run: Rod ends, Shock ends, Shock caps, Rocker arms, and a servo. Arrma did not consider the weight of the NERO when these parts were put on it. My opinion is, The rod ends and shock ends are not threaded, You just screw them in and they expect that new threads will be cut into the rod ends. This in not happening, What is happening is you are forcing the rod into the end and putting unnecessary pressure on the end, This leads to pre-mature failure.

I have a Kraton, Nero and typhon, the kraton is by far my favorite out of all of my trucks not just the arrmas. I want a talion to race next season and I will be racing my typhon as well. the Nero is a disappointment indeed, the new heavy duty shock rod ends may help that issue but nothing has been done about pushrod ends. my kraton is much more fun I don't worry about breaking it. I pound the poop out of my kraton.

I say wait and do what WoodiE said , check out the Outcast , looks like the best of both worlds , actually i think its on towerhobbies already to preorder.

I have the Kraton, and Typhon, and had a Talion - I traded it away for the Typhon. My .02 -

For track running / track bashing, look at the Typhon or Talion. They are fast, handle great, easy to set up for racedays, and are 100% legal in their classes. Yes, the Talion and the Typhon are true racing chassis - just down-spec RTR's of the Team Durango DEX8 racing buggy and DEX8T truggy. There are a few difference like the motor/center diff mount, and I think the steering bellcranks are a bit different. But yes, they are RTR race cars, the same as would be the AE RC8.2 or the Losi 8ight RTR and others.

Comparing the Kraton to the other 2, for track use -
With stock tires, it is a lumbering pig.
Swap to proper track truggy tires, and it get a lot better, but it still does not rotate around corners as well as the Talion. Also, if your track is picky about rules, the Kraton is too wide (even with truggy tires) to run in a ROAR truggy class. Speed is not an issue, both are too fast to run on a track - I have my throttle EPA on the Kraton set to 70% and the Typhon set to 60%. As I get better at driving, I could see bumping that up to about 80%, but power is not an issue with any of these truck. This is all with 4s - I don't run 6s at the track (tried it once, bad things happened... LOL)

At the track, I would rank them -

Easy to drive - Talion, Kraton, Typhon
As a e-bug, the typhon is almost twitchy, it really takes a lot of focus to keep it going consistent. When you get "in the zone" though, it is fast as heck... Kraton is easy, relaxed on the track, but sometimes feels like I have to horse it around the tight sections of the track. Talion is a good middle ground between the Typhon and Kraton. Rotates / turns better than the Kraton, but without the twitchyness of the Typhon.

Nimble - Typhon, Talion, Kraton -
Ties back to easy to drive - the Tailon is easy to put around the track, once you learn to control the throttle. If you have the skills, the Typhon is on another level of nimble-ness. Nimble does not discribe the Kraton.

Acceleration - Typhon, Talion, Kraton.
If traction is down, the Talion wins with the big, wide truggy tires. When the track is hooked up, the Typhon is a rocket. Which is why I run mine at 60% throttle... :)

Quickest lap times - Talion, Typhon, Kraton
If I was a better driver, the Typhon would be quicker. For most casual track bashers / once a month racers, IMHO, the Talion will be faster, just because it is more forgiving of mistakes, and easier to drive.

Please note that all I typed above is my opinion based on TRACK driving, not bashing. For bashing, the Kraton is a clear winner. However, the Talion is not far behind - is it a great basher, and a great track truck. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

Why did I trade my Talion for a Typhon? Well, first, I just really wanted an E-bug, so when the trade was offered, I jumped! :) Plus, I find myself track bashing more than park bashing. Last - If I find myself wanting a better park basher, well, Tower Hobbies is always open! LOL (and now the Outcast - Drool!)

Jerry

Last edited:
I have had the Talion 2 years now and the back diff needed replaced.
That is awesome seeing how my Mugen ate drive shafts and gears on 6S.
I have always run the Talion on 6S outa the box.
Currently has the Mamba in it and its been a great rig.

I run 500k in the center diff on my Kraton and the big Trenchers. Wheelies are not an issue, lol. I finally got around to wrapping my tires with fishing braid. I have yet to test them out and I’m curious to see if wheelies will be harder now that the fronts won’t balloon as much.

can you wheelie easily on the the talion or karma
My Talion wanted to wheelie all the time when I put backflips on it.
If wheelies are your thing the Outcast/Notorious is well worth looking at though.

All of the Arrma 1/8 trucks are versatile but at a basic level I see them as......

Typhon or Talion for speed.
Kraton for bashing.
Outcast/Notorious for fun.

Apologies to the Senton for missing it out.

Yea but i like speed and wheelies and my only two choices are talion or kraton? Which one do you prefer

Yea but i like speed and wheelies and my only two choices are talion or kraton? Which one do you prefer

Talion. Then after a few months you can buy a Kraton. Or the other way round.
Either will do what you want so pick the one you like the look of most.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back