Talion Talion Speed Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take what Vas says with a grain of salt.
He's the type of guy who flubbs here and there like we all do but he'll blame it on things not true. IMHO.
I see how he build his rigs. I don't like it considering how he actually works for Metro hobby.(LHS) He cant even mount a lipo and connectors properly. He loses lipos and gets disconnects etc. during his vids.
His driving is good! I will concede.
He is a take it out the box and drive it guy. He will conceal an issue he doesn't understand. He should do better video editing. Just my subjective opinion. Obviously I do watch his content nonetheless.:cool:
Edit:
When it comes to range issues, everyone blames the Radio. How about making sure your batteries are up to snuff. (Full power).
And most importantly, understand how to properly install a RECIEVER!
No one ever talks about Rx brownouts at the tail end of a speed run. Rx voltage can drop significantly. There's alot more to range beside the Radio. Rx is the other half of the equation. I've see the sloppiest Rx installs ever. But most will blame the radio. Some Rx's are just better than others. Depending on brand, some surface Radio's can use Air Rx's for better range.
I think @razorrc does a better job evaluating RC rigs and gear.
Appreciate the feedback, but if you don't know me and all you see are the videos, I think your opinion here should also be taken with a bag of salt (not a grain). It's very easy to judge someone based on a few videos and from behind a keyboard, my friend, I'm even guilty of doing it sometimes, but that doesn't make you right. That said, what I say on my channel is merely my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right but it doesn't mean I'm wrong either. It's ok to disagree, however, it's not ok to imply I'm wrong just because you don't agree.
Also, me working for Metro Hobbies has nothing to do with the price of fish. My channel was well off the ground long before I ever accepted that job and my opinion on my channel is just that - my opinion. My channel and the job are 2 separate roles and will always be. And if push came to shove and I had to chose, I'd chose my channel over my job. I can always find another job, but my channel has taken years to build. So please don't think that me working for a hobby shop has influenced my opinion.
I'm also very confused about the Lipo and connectors comment... What do you mean I lose lipo and connectors? Are you sure you haven't confused me with someone else? I honestly don't know where that comment has come from...

Appreciate the feedback, but if you don't know me and all you see are the videos, I think your opinion here should also be taken with a bag of salt (not a grain). It's very easy to judge someone based on a few videos and from behind a keyboard, my friend, I'm even guilty of doing it sometimes, but that doesn't make you right. That said, what I say on my channel is merely my opinion, it doesn't mean I'm right but it doesn't mean I'm wrong either. It's ok to disagree, however, it's not ok to imply I'm wrong just because you don't agree.
Also, me working for Metro Hobbies has nothing to do with the price of fish. My channel was well off the ground long before I ever accepted that job and my opinion on my channel is just that - my opinion. My channel and the job are 2 separate roles and will always be. And if push came to shove and I had to chose, I'd chose my channel over my job. I can always find another job, but my channel has taken years to build. So please don't think that me working for a hobby shop has influenced my opinion.
I'm also very confused about the Lipo and connectors comment... What do you mean I lose lipo and connectors? Are you sure you haven't confused me with someone else? I honestly don't know where that comment has come from...
Vas, you don't know me to be my friend. We are many ponds apart. If I lived near you perhaps a different story. You are a regular guy like myself. And I am just one of thousands of your subscribers. If I and my opinions don't count, so be it. Are you even in touch with your fan base?
You should start watching all your past videos a few times. Self criticism can be constructive. A good thing. Maybe you will see what I and others observe. Flubs here and there happen. We all do it. I am not talking about that. Being more honest about it regarding issues you are not sure about helps your content.
One example:
You had one video where the lipo connector kept coming apart mid running. You kept fixing it. A close up revealed you didn't secure your wire leads(velcroed) well at all. I said to myself, it will keep happening. and it did keep happening. And you kept commenting out of frustration, understandably so. Take the time to do it properly, perhaps explain it, or just edit that out. I felt embarrassed for you. Maybe you were hurried or having a bad RC day??? There are other examples....technical and otherwise, I don't think you are willing to listen to. That's fine. Not my intent to rock your boat anyway.
If there is anything positive you get from my comment, it should be obvious that I watch your content meticulously. And you being a content provider, this is good thing. Don't you think so?
I've been into RC for more than 30+ years. No bragging rights by any means. But I've seen it all. Yet I watch content from all. I learn new things everyday like we all do.
I like the way you drive. Similar to mine. Not extreme, but right at the edge for many to see. That's valuable content. You have a great sense of humor. I laugh with you, not at you. I like your group bashing vids too.
Working for Metro and receiving direct info from Arrma has nothing to do with this except that you present yourself as an insider. Perhaps being more responsible in this regard will better serve other Surface RC hobbyists. The RC industry is different in AU. I understand. Like I originally stated, these are my subjective opinions presented here on AF. I watch all your videos nonetheless. You are $supported$ by me. Your channel is about thumbs UP or thumbs DOWN. Like it or not. I thought you figured that out by now.
Nothing personal. So don't take it as such.
I'll be waiting for your next video.(y):cool:?
Be safe, you and yours.

Vas, you don't know me to be my friend. We are many ponds apart. If I lived near you perhaps a different story. You are a regular guy like myself. And I am just one of thousands of your subscribers. If I and my opinions don't count, so be it. Are you even in touch with your fan base?
You should start watching all your past videos a few times. Self criticism can be constructive. A good thing. Maybe you will see what I and others observe. Flubs here and there happen. We all do it. I am not talking about that. Being more honest about it regarding issues you are not sure about helps your content.
One example:
You had one video where the lipo connector kept coming apart mid running. You kept fixing it. A close up revealed you didn't secure your wire leads(velcroed) well at all. I said to myself, it will keep happening. and it did keep happening. And you kept commenting out of frustration, understandably so. Take the time to do it properly, perhaps explain it, or just edit that out. I felt embarrassed for you. Maybe you were hurried or having a bad RC day??? There are other examples....technical and otherwise, I don't think you are willing to listen to. That's fine. Not my intent to rock your boat anyway.
If there is anything positive you get from my comment, it should be obvious that I watch your content meticulously. And you being a content provider, this is good thing. Don't you think so?
I've been into RC for more than 30+ years. No bragging rights by any means. But I've seen it all. Yet I watch content from all. I learn new things everyday like we all do.
I like the way you drive. Similar to mine. Not extreme, but right at the edge for many to see. That's valuable content. You have a great sense of humor. I laugh with you, not at you. I like your group bashing vids too.
Working for Metro and receiving direct info from Arrma has nothing to do with this except that you present yourself as an insider. Perhaps being more responsible in this regard will better serve other Surface RC hobbyists. The RC industry is different in AU. I understand. Like I originally stated, these are my subjective opinions presented here on AF. I watch all your videos nonetheless. You are $supported$ by me. Your channel is about thumbs UP or thumbs DOWN. Like it or not. I thought you figured that out by now.
Nothing personal. So don't take it as such.
I'll be waiting for your next video.(y):cool:?
Be safe, you and yours.
I appreciate you watching my content, thank you.
In regards to the connectors, sometimes the Velcro from the battery tray doesn't allow for the wires to be strapped down and although I do my best to secure them, when the jumps I do are as big as they are, the plugs come off sometimes. I doesn't happen that often so I don't even take notice of it and you would be the first person to ever mention that as an issue. But if your biggest criticism is that I included footage of my plugs coming undone, then you've put a lot into prospective for me. ?
I still don't know what the word "flubs" means, even when you've used it in context. Might be a UK slang I'm not familiar with... ?‍♂️
Thanks again for the feedback and the support. ?

I appreciate you watching my content, thank you.
In regards to the connectors, sometimes the Velcro from the battery tray doesn't allow for the wires to be strapped down and although I do my best to secure them, when the jumps I do are as big as they are, the plugs come off sometimes. I doesn't happen that often so I don't even take notice of it and you would be the first person to ever mention that as an issue. But if your biggest criticism is that I included footage of my plugs coming undone, then you've put a lot into prospective for me. ?
I still don't know what the word "flubs" means, even when you've used it in context. Might be a UK slang I'm not familiar with... ?‍♂️
Thanks again for the feedback and the support. ?
Flubs means mistakes or errors. I believe he’s from NYC, not the UK. ??

Be prepared to dish out some money. You will probably spend 3x the car value on upgrades..easily.

What tires? Stock will rip apart a little above 70mph. With Hoons you need different gearing.
What ESC? Stock? Not going to make it, it will burn up.
What battery? Your battery upgrade probably didn't do much as C rating is a marketing tool. Turnigy Graphene or CHL are favorites

Need to lower front and rear, stiffer springs in the front.
Front spoiler or it will take off, rear modified spoiler or it won't go above 75ish.

Look at some Talion speedruns on youtube and probably this one below. Above 70 you run into stuff you never heard about.
Set your toe, camber, upgrade hubs and so on. Do all the adjustments BEFORE you spend money.

She has deleted this video because the speed runs guys through a tantrum about his sharing all this stuff. I suggest everyone save and down load this vid. I don't think you'll find another tutorial like this anytime soon ??

There are small groups of speed runners that have formed what they call a "team".
They are very secretive about details on their cars for an understandable reason. They have been doing this for years and invested many thousands of dollars. They strongly believe that you should learn it and figure it out like they did. If someone is out there posting specs how to go 140mph they will notice and ask you to take that posting down.

I believe things have changed in that cars like the Limitless right out of the box can give you a 120+mph car.(if you choose a good esc and motor) The included 27/34 gearing is a great starting point being in the ball park of ideal gearing for the average 6s motor.

In the past using other cars like the Slash 4x4 or XO-1 you had to spend stupid amounts of time adjusting the car and changing MANY parts to break 100mph. These guys have been working hard for 5+ years to get where they are so I understand the frustration about someone coming into speed running for the first time, and catching up to them in their first 6 months trying.

I will say that speed running is expensive, high risk, and not easy at all! It takes lots of bench time to prep the car and a crash at 100+ can be defeating. I have seen many give it a try and give up after a serious crash.

Speed run secrets

Attachments

• Safari - May 7, 2020 at 11_38 PM.pdf
    538.6 KB · Views: 64
I had the same aspirations as the author to make my Talion go faster than 70mph. I failed and failed miserably. I had a 300amp electronic speed controller and a 300amp motor and the damn truck would not go past 75mph. It didn't matter what gear I used or what setup I tried it was almost like it was locked. I gave up eventually and figured the stock rear end gear ratio was the problem.

Mamba X

I have the mamba x I upgraded from a 5200 50c LiPo battery to a 6500 100c. I have the grp t01 tires.. upgraded to the hot racing spool running on 30T pinion/34T spur... some guy said I need to program my mamba to make it go faster but idk bout any of that.. I’m already bout 1300/1500 in and I’m only a month in
Programming castle esc really helps i went from 32 mph to 48 mph on my kraton with programming. And I don't know $hit about programming.??

Punch level and timing all the way down for speed runs. IMO. Steady throttle with no jerking of the trigger will reduce battery sag. Consider a quality ESC Cap Pack to keep ripple below 10% of your total lipo volts. 5 min. cool downs between each pass to spare your $expensive$ electrics.
T01 tires have a much shorter roll out, taller gearing to accommodate the smaller GRP T01 rollout will get to you to higher speeds. 30/34 is a good start Just a tip. Speed requires money. The serious Ytuber speed guys getting consistent 120+ MPH spend $3-$4 thousand on their rigs. Motors and ESC's cost $$$$.

Last edited:
There are small groups of speed runners that have formed what they call a "team".
They are very secretive about details on their cars for an understandable reason. They have been doing this for years and invested many thousands of dollars. They strongly believe that you should learn it and figure it out like they did. If someone is out there posting specs how to go 140mph they will notice and ask you to take that posting down.

I believe things have changed in that cars like the Limitless right out of the box can give you a 120+mph car.(if you choose a good esc and motor) The included 27/34 gearing is a great starting point being in the ball park of ideal gearing for the average 6s motor.

In the past using other cars like the Slash 4x4 or XO-1 you had to spend stupid amounts of time adjusting the car and changing MANY parts to break 100mph. These guys have been working hard for 5+ years to get where they are so I understand the frustration about someone coming into speed running for the first time, and catching up to them in their first 6 months trying.

I will say that speed running is expensive, high risk, and not easy at all! It takes lots of bench time to prep the car and a crash at 100+ can be defeating. I have seen many give it a try and give up after a serious crash.
When it comes to RC there are no secrets. What gives?:cool: You figured it out or not. Some guys feel how to set a pinion mesh is a secret. Silly. If someone specifically wont say "how I do it" then they are not true hobbyists. Someone else will be there to explain. But the information is out there. There are no secrets not shared. Since when is RC a right of passage that one must figure out out on there own. Even the "Team" new poop when they started. They are just a clique IMHO. Picture me responding to an OP's question and stating I cant tell you because...its a "secret". Childish stuff. :cool:

Last edited:
Punch level and timing all the way down for speed runs. IMO. Steady throttle with no jerking of the trigger will reduce battery sag. Consider a quality ESC Cap Pack to keep ripple below 10% of your total lipo volts. 5 min. cool downs between each pass to spare your $expensive$ electrics.
T01 tires have a much shorter roll out, taller gearing to accommodate the smaller GRP T01 rollout will get to you to higher speeds. 30/34 is a good start Just a tip. Speed requires money. The serious Ytuber speed guys getting consistent 120+ MPH spend $3-$4 thousand on their rigs. Motors and ESC's cost $$$$.
Tommy Unboxing on YouTube spilled the beans on his setup:
XLX
TP Power replica (available in China evidently) rated at 2200kv
8s
34/34 gearing.
Went 154 mph on GRP S5 tires.
Most of these guys put blocks of plastic in the rear to make zero suspension travel. Razz actually removed the rear springs entirely...

1:1 gearing and almost solid suspension is where the serious speed guys usually end up.
I setup my Lim. with the Arrma upgrade hard springs and stiffest sway bars both Front and rear. Droop almost all the way slammed down. From prior years of Pan Car speed running exper., its always best to run little to no suspension travel. But rough uneven pavement becomes a problem at some point.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back