Talion Steering Issue (steering not straight after crash repair)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klappars

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I have a problem with the steering on my V3 Talion.

After crashing the right side into a tree. I had to replace several parts including the suspension holders and the diff case as well as upgrading to RPM A arms.

I found that the top plate that goes over the steering bellcranb was bent so I straightened it out as well as the steering link between the bellcrank posts which was also bent.

IMG_20180509_182609.jpg

IMG_20180509_182621.jpg

IMG_20180509_182621.jpg

IMG_20180509_182639.jpg

IMG_20180509_182657.jpg

Upon putting everything back together the steering is off to the right. The turnbuckles are not bent and the servo saver posts look fine too. The trim hadn't been changed either and to make the steering straight it requires 80% trim to the left.

Can anyone help me fix this?

Unhook your servo horn, turn on the truck to make sure the servo is centered, then straighten your wheels by hand and reconnect your servo horn. Check your manual, on my Outcast the servo horn is supposed to be pointing straight towards the right side of the vehicle.

Unhook your servo horn, turn on the truck to make sure the servo is centered, then straighten your wheels by hand and reconnect your servo horn. Check your manual, on my Outcast the servo horn is supposed to be pointing straight towards the right side of the vehicle.
Tried that. When I move the horn back the other way it moves the steering off to the left.

You mean you moved the horn while disconnected from the servo correct? Maybe the servo is in backwards? Couple people have accidentally done that.

You mean you moved the horn while disconnected from the servo correct? Maybe the servo is in backwards? Couple people have accidentally done that.
Yes I turned the car on. Then moved the servo horn with it off the servo but it can't be moved a small enough amount. The servo hasn't been removed and is where is was from factory. The car was done before the crash.

I'm surprised moving the horn one tooth makes it go from drifting right to drifting left. You got yourself a tough one

Y
I'm surprised moving the horn one tooth makes it go from drifting right to drifting left. You got yourself a tough one
Yes. Just moving it one tooth makes too much of an adjustment.

It looks like the whole truck is tweaked to the right. You could have a bent chassis that is pointed to the right upper corner because in those pictures, it looks like the steering bell crank post is pointed to an angle instead of straight up.

It looks like the whole truck is tweaked to the right. You could have a bent chassis that is pointed to the right upper corner because in those pictures, it looks like the steering bell crank post is pointed to an angle instead of straight up.
It must be very slightly bent because I can't see any bent parts .The post when looked at from a perpendicular angle look straight but it's hard to tell.
Hope I don't need a whole new chassis after one small crash.

Looking at the picture of the servo saver post, it looks like it is not flush with the chassis plate - so there may be something mis-aligned or misassembled there.

My other thought it that one of the steering links may have partially pulled out of the plastic end. Measure the exposed turnbuckle on both sides and see if they match.

Beyond that, it is basic trouble shooting, check everything one step at a time.

Make the servo horn point straight right (or as close as possible) when the servo trim is at 0.
Check the various parts of the bell-crank to make sure they are pointed straight forward / straight sideways.
Adjust the steering links to make the wheels point straight.

Sometimes you just gotta dig.

Looking at the picture of the servo saver post, it looks like it is not flush with the chassis plate - so there may be something mis-aligned or misassembled there.

My other thought it that one of the steering links may have partially pulled out of the plastic end. Measure the exposed turnbuckle on both sides and see if they match.

Beyond that, it is basic trouble shooting, check everything one step at a time.

Make the servo horn point straight right (or as close as possible) when the servo trim is at 0.
Check the various parts of the bell-crank to make sure they are pointed straight forward / straight sideways.
Adjust the steering links to make the wheels point straight.

Sometimes you just gotta dig.

The post surely can't be completely flush with the chassis because the steel post which it goes on has a ridge at the bottom of it.
IMG_20180509_214230.jpg

Last edited:
I was trying to watch your video again - is your steering trim set to L42? I am going to go back to @Paultro84 's comment - Take the screw out of the servo horn, take the servo horn off the servo, then center the servo trim (on the radio) then re-install the servo horn, pointing mostly perpendicular to the right.

I know you said you did that, but if your trim is off by L42, then that is a lot more than 1/25th of a circle (one tooth on the 25t servo horn)

I was trying to watch your video again - is your steering trim set to L42? I am going to go back to @Paultro84 's comment - Take the screw out of the servo horn, take the servo horn off the servo, then center the servo trim (on the radio) then re-install the servo horn, pointing mostly perpendicular to the right.

I know you said you did that, but if your trim is off by L42, then that is a lot more than 1/25th of a circle (one tooth on the 25t servo horn)
Even with the trim at 0 if I move the horn one notch down (which would move steering to the left) the steering is then way over the the left and would require loads of right trim to make it straight.

Wow, seems odd that the radio trim is that small of a range. Most radios I've used the max trim is about 30%-50% of the regular trim.

If that is as close as the radio will get it, then I guess you get to start twisting turnbuckles.

Wow, seems odd that the radio trim is that small of a range. Most radios I've used the max trim is about 30%-50% of the regular trim.

If that is as close as the radio will get it, then I guess you get to start twisting turnbuckles.
The radio is a Futaba 3PV. The trim can be adjusted all the way up to 100% either way but I found that before the crash in order to get the car to drive straight it needed 42 left trim.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back