Talion talion upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
so I have a arrma talion V3 I looked just before starting this thread I have a set of upgrades for my car + tools 4 my collection that I am looking into getting if there is anything that anybody thinks i need but didn't include let me know
also I did not put in the exb parts but i plan on looking into the relevant exb parts also does anybody have the exb chasis for their talion is it any better than the stock chasis

My current upgrades
rc screwz stainless screw kit (use as spares for when I break/lose screws)

pause as I go and look at my talion for any other upgrades....

never mind I don't have any other upgrades but I have some money and a lot of plans (let me know if you have had any good/bad experience with any of these)
none of these sites for ordering are final if there are places where you have ordered that had good service or are cheaper let me know or if there are any sites you don't recommend buying from let me know
tires:
Powerhobby Scorpion Belted Monster Truck Tires / Wheels w 17mm Hex (2) Sport - Powerhobby.com
Pro-Line 1179-10 Sling Shot 3.8" Sand Tires Mounted (prolineracing.com) (for snow bashing do these work well)
Pro-Line 10127-10 Badlands MX38 3.8" All Terrain Tires Mounted (prolineracing.com)
is it worth the price difference to get belted tires for the badlands/trenchers
DuraTrax Six Pack 3.8 Mounted MT Tires (DTXC3584) | Tires & Wheels | RC Planet
DuraTrax Hatchet 3.8 Mounted MT Tires (DTXC3588) | Tires & Wheels | RC Planet
Amazon.com: ARRMA AR510092 Dboots Backflip 3.8" Mt 6S RC Monster Truck Tire with Foam Insert, Mounted On Multi-Spoke Wheel 17Mm Hex, Black (Set of 2): Toys & Games

servos: if there are better servos let me know
Amazon.com: ZOSKAY 35kg high Torque Coreless Motor servo Metal Gear Digital and Stainless Steel Gear servo arduino servo for Robotic DIY,RC car (Control Angle 180°): Toys & Games
Corally 52001 CS-5226 High Voltage/High Torque Digital Servo - Powerhobby.com
Amazon.com: Savox SC-1256TG High Torque Titanium Gear Standard Digital Servo: Toys & Games

misc: parts and other stuff
Mud Guards for RPM Kraton, Talion & Outcast Rear A-arms (RPM #81402 / #81405) - RPM R/C Products
Front Upper & Lower A-arms for 6S versions of the ARRMA Kraton, Talion & Outcast - RPM R/C Products
Rear A-arms for 6S versions of the ARRMA Kraton, Talion & Outcast - RPM R/C Products
Arrma 6s Titanium Shock Towers - Talion V3 and V4 – Scorched Parts RC
Arrma Titanium Centre Drive Shaft Pair - Kraton & Talion – Scorched Parts RC
Dusty Motors Arrma Kraton/Talion Protection Cover (Red) [DTY-ARM0013] | Cars & Trucks - AMain Hobbies
Titanium Turnbuckle Set - Arrma Kraton / Outcast / Notorious / Talion – Scorched Parts RC
AON12E01 (hot-racing.com)
AON12C01 (hot-racing.com)
AON11E02 (hot-racing.com)
AON21MA01 (hot-racing.com)
AON22MA01 (hot-racing.com)
AON38M01 (hot-racing.com)
AON28CT01 (hot-racing.com)
AON30C01 (hot-racing.com)
Arrma kraton outcast talion motormount (m2cracing.net)
m2c 3042 ARRMA TALION/MOJAVE FRONT CENTER BRACE (m2cracing.net)
6mm 7075-T651 Aluminum Shock Tower Set 6s Talion V3, V4 | JBI | Just Bash It RC

chasis:

m2c 3010 ARRMA TALION 4 MM CHASSIS (m2cracing.net)
Solid 7075-T651 Aluminum Chassis for Arrma (V3-V4) 6s Talion | JBI | Just Bash It RC
Solid Aluminum Chassis for Arrma (V3-V4) 6s Talion | JBI | Just Bash It RC

I started out with a V3 just like you did. Below is what I would recommend but by all means it's your build

Skip the HR motor mount, get a V4 motor instead. This will help on future motor change as well, a 4985 wouldn't fit in HR. If you want an HR mount, I can sell you mine. Note: I'm still on stock motor.
Get a bumper (RPM)
Dual MOTOR FANS are a must with stock motor
do not get EXB braces, they do not have the chassis lock, get M2C front and rear brace or HR as per your list.
Shock towers as needed, M2C would be my choice but any from your list are good
Frt and rear hubs helped me a lot (HR)
Tires: Backflip LP by a longshot, you will never go back. Don't go bigger, heat and no longer feels like a Talion.
RPM arms - yes. Have yet to break one.
M2C chassis - yes, the others are too heavy imho
Driveshafts - no, stay with stock; Titanium makes sense with speed runs but you shouldn't do that with Talion, others are better suited
Servo - I use a 25kg (Amazon cheapo) it's a little faster and does it's job well.
Turnbuckles - never had issues with my stock ones, if you go to the huge tires that might change

With the saved money get frt and rear hingepin mounts, M2C, Voltage hobbies (or others) but I would wait until you start breaking stuff repeatedly.

I started out with a V3 just like you did. Below is what I would recommend but by all means it's your build

Skip the HR motor mount, get a V4 motor instead. This will help on future motor change as well, a 4985 wouldn't fit in HR. If you want an HR mount, I can sell you mine. Note: I'm still on stock motor.
Get a bumper (RPM)
Dual MOTOR FANS are a must with stock motor
do not get EXB braces, they do not have the chassis lock, get M2C front and rear brace or HR as per your list.
Shock towers as needed, M2C would be my choice but any from your list are good
Frt and rear hubs helped me a lot (HR)
Tires: Backflip LP by a longshot, you will never go back. Don't go bigger, heat and no longer feels like a Talion.
RPM arms - yes. Have yet to break one.
M2C chassis - yes, the others are too heavy imho
Driveshafts - no, stay with stock; Titanium makes sense with speed runs but you shouldn't do that with Talion, others are better suited
Servo - I use a 25kg (Amazon cheapo) it's a little faster and does it's job well.
Turnbuckles - never had issues with my stock ones, if you go to the huge tires that might change

With the saved money get frt and rear hingepin mounts, M2C, Voltage hobbies (or others) but I would wait until you start breaking stuff repeatedly.
thanks for all the help

Hey whats up...V4 Talion owner here. I concur with everything jkflow said.

I prefer belted tires myself but I'm no jumper...pretty much a street basher with some off road here and there. I've had those PowerHobby Scorpions/Raptors. They're ok but the rim quality is weak. They lasted about 3 runs for me before both fronts cracked from "minor" collisions. Go with the Sweeps Road/Terrain Crushers instead. It's basically the same tire except the rim itself is much sturdier. I've had them on for over a month now with no issues. STAY AWAY from those huge 3.8 tires...they look nice but they're extra heavy and put a strain on your electronics (servo and motor). I even tried the same Duratrax tires in the 2.8 size (belted of course) and LOVED them. They have grip for days and hold up pretty well. I added some extra glue around the rim for added support. You should try the 2.8s in the Duratrax for sure (if you can find them). I personally use the Lockup MT 2.8 Belted but the Six Pack and Hatchet are pretty much the same. For some reason they're extremely hard to come by of late. I heard good things about ProLine but they seem a little pricey. I do plan on trying some out though.

I've got the HR chassis braces in mine and I have yet to snap a screw BUT I did manage to loose 2 screws (fell right out from the bottom). I fixed that by swapping in a longer screw and putting a nut on the end. Held up well so far.

As for servos, the stock one is actually pretty good until it wears out on you. You can tell when it starts because when you first turn the car on it'll be pretty quick but soon after you notice slower turning and larger turn radius. Servos are kinda funny cause you can spend a bunch of money and get crap or go cheapo and actually get a good one from what I hear. I recently swapped out my stock motor/esc for the Spektrum system and figured I'd go with a Spektrum servo to finish the deal...got the S6290 (high voltage, high speed, high torque and HIGH PRICE at 144.99 on sale) and it didn't even move. I tried 2 different receivers and a new power cord. I was disappointed to say the least. A good dude on here MFM (check his page out) recommended Reefs Triple 5 but said anything Reefs is a must. They're pretty pricey too but from all reviews and accounts I've read the Reefs are top notch and far and away the best servo you can get at the moment. Go on YouTube and search 'Reefs servo' and there's a guy on there that does servo testing of all the top brands with a machine he created that measures torque, speed, etc.
Here's a link to one of his videos:

Like jkflow said: in the end it's YOUR BUILD. If you got the budget I'd say try out what you want or what interests you. What fails for someone else might work for you and vice versa. For me that's part of what makes the hobby fun...trying new stuff and seeing if I can improve on an already magnificent product that Arrma puts out while customizing and making it my own.

Hope this helps some....PEACE!

update on the servo due to the fact I have a tight budget (right now but by the end of this year I will prob have spent $400) I am waiting for the stock to actually die unless my budget gets upgraded or unless I go with a $30ish servo but I would love to get that servo

I am looking into the reefs 555 is a servo thanks to you that video is crazy
I just got the Reefs Raw 500. Wish me luck. After my debacle with the Spektrum servo I need all the luck I can get...LOL Oh and BTW their servos are programmable. They've got videos on YT and on their website showing what that's about.

@9G
You say earlier in the post you use 2.8 tires/wheels on the talion. I am wondering how that is possible as it seems like the wheel diameter would be too small to fit over the hubs/suspension. I'm running stock hubs, perhaps the HR ones are lower profile? If you have some pics of your setup with this I would be interested to see them.

@9G
You say earlier in the post you use 2.8 tires/wheels on the talion. I am wondering how that is possible as it seems like the wheel diameter would be too small to fit over the hubs/suspension. I'm running stock hubs, perhaps the HR ones are lower profile? If you have some pics of your setup with this I would be interested to see them.
They fit over the hubs no problem. I have HR hubs too (see pics). I have extenders on the fronts cause I don't mind my hubs showing. But I'm more of a street/pavement guy and some light grass or dirt like baseball fields or in a local park. NO JUMPING...I'm in Philly and most of the guys I run into don't jump at all. It's all about speed here. I prefer the smaller size due to less weight and it's easier on the electronics. The smaller tires might limit my top speed some but I'll take that as a trade-off for less heat...plus you can gear a little higher with the smaller wheels. Some guys here run the smaller buggy tires too.

The only problem is getting them on which is a pain. They come with a 17mm hex but some are offset and a regular wheel nut tool doesn't fit. I use a pair of needle nose pliers to get them on. The pics are the ProLine Trencher HP 2.8 Belted. I also use the Badlands 2.8 belted. The first two pics are the fronts and the third is the rear. I love the Duratrax but they wear out fast on pavement. They grip crazy in the dirt though...plenty of traction and they kick up tons of dirt.

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1059.jpg

I don't think my rig has looked that clean since I took it out of the box, impressive. Of course here in CO it's still snowing...which means mud and muck and dirty car, I'd be ashamed to put up pics in the same post as yours. The deal breaker going to this sort of setup with me might be the jumping. I do a lot. Not super high off stunt ramps or anything (yet,) but so far the katars have held up ok with it. They're just almost slicks now and on backorder. I'll be a little more I cautious about not doing street runs with new ones whenever I can get some. I did put on some of the backflip "lp's" and I know what you're saying about temps and strain. Motor heated up quick. Could have plugged my fan in but it was more of a short run/test than anything. Super grippy and mean but lost some speed and the low cg/tight feel I'm accustomed to. They weren't kidding about backflip, it wanted to anytime I hit the throttle hard. But that's not really what I'm looking for right now (I'll probably end up getting an outcast or something for that sort of driving down the road.) Tunrs out the kid down the steet just got some 2.8 belted badlands with 17 hexes and going to swap them on in the next few days for a quick jaunt just to see. I wish there were more options similar to the katars, something about the same size od and width but maybe a little more rubber/sidewall w/o adding a bunch of weight and inertia.

I don't think my rig has looked that clean since I took it out of the box, impressive. Of course here in CO it's still snowing...which means mud and muck and dirty car, I'd be ashamed to put up pics in the same post as yours. The deal breaker going to this sort of setup with me might be the jumping. I do a lot. Not super high off stunt ramps or anything (yet,) but so far the katars have held up ok with it. They're just almost slicks now and on backorder. I'll be a little more I cautious about not doing street runs with new ones whenever I can get some. I did put on some of the backflip "lp's" and I know what you're saying about temps and strain. Motor heated up quick. Could have plugged my fan in but it was more of a short run/test than anything. Super grippy and mean but lost some speed and the low cg/tight feel I'm accustomed to. They weren't kidding about backflip, it wanted to anytime I hit the throttle hard. But that's not really what I'm looking for right now (I'll probably end up getting an outcast or something for that sort of driving down the road.) Tunrs out the kid down the steet just got some 2.8 belted badlands with 17 hexes and going to swap them on in the next few days for a quick jaunt just to see. I wish there were more options similar to the Katars, something about the same size od and width but maybe a little more rubber/sidewall w/o adding a bunch of weight and inertia.
I had just cleaned it LOL. I've been swapping out the Spektrum stuff (had the 1250KV/160A ESC combo with the 6100 receiver) and going with Castle and Futaba so I haven't had a good run in over 2 weeks. I love the Katars. Only problem is they do wear down quick and they balloon quite a bit too. A belted Katar would be my dream tire. The 2.8 Badlands are close to the Katar width wise but they're shorter (a little over 5 inches). The only tires I've seen even close to Katars in terms of weight and size are the competition truggy/buggy tires but you usually have to glue them yourself like the racers do. I've only ran belted tires. I like the Sweeps Road Crushers too but that weight is a killer. I even wrote them asking if they would look into making that exact tire in a smaller size and they said they were doing testing so I must not be the only one thinking this way.

You're gonna love the Badlands if you like to rip and run. You might not like getting them on cause the opening is small...you're gonna NEED some needle nose pliers. If you find some dirt your car is gonna get mad dirty cause they kick up a lot of dust.

So I tried to get the badlands on but they just barely don't fit up front. The upper pivot ball portion of the hub barely rubs on the inside of the wheel/tire, enough that I didn't want to try running since they are not mine. I would suppose that is why you have the extenders... I was able to get the nut on with a 17mm 3/8 drive socket however. If you don't have one I'd go pick one up (and a cheap ratchet if needed,) this would make it easier than having to mess with needle nose. I found a few places that have the duratrax 17mm in hatchet/cyclone in stock. Was just about to get them but waited until I tried this. Not sure I want to go the extender route. Looks like katars are due 5/19, I think I can hold out or maybe get the duratrax badgers/apollos for now until they come in. With you on the belted katars, that would be awesome. They aren't too bad off road but on the street they balloon enough to get ugly. Of course I'm only running a 15T pinion so far. Will bump up as I get better. Only been doing this for a couple months now.

So I tried to get the badlands on but they just barely don't fit up front. The upper pivot ball portion of the hub barely rubs on the inside of the wheel/tire, enough that I didn't want to try running since they are not mine. I would suppose that is why you have the extenders... I was able to get the nut on with a 17mm 3/8 drive socket however. If you don't have one I'd go pick one up (and a cheap ratchet if needed,) this would make it easier than having to mess with needle nose. I found a few places that have the duratrax 17mm in hatchet/cyclone in stock. Was just about to get them but waited until I tried this. Not sure I want to go the extender route. Looks like katars are due 5/19, I think I can hold out or maybe get the duratrax badgers/apollos for now until they come in. With you on the belted katars, that would be awesome. They aren't too bad off road but on the street they balloon enough to get ugly. Of course I'm only running a 15T pinion so far. Will bump up as I get better. Only been doing this for a couple months now.
Same here. I didn't start until November 2020. The Talion was my first choice. Had a run yesterday with the Trenchers on and it was OK but I had some trouble getting my steering down. I just switched to a Futaba from the DX5 Pro so I guess I gotta get used to the thing. The Futaba is EXTREMELY touchy with the steering and the throttle and I'm not used to such a fast response coming from the DX5 Pro. I got a second run in with the Sweeps Terrain Crushers on it and it was a little easier to control with the bigger wheels. I have to tweak my ESC settings too but the Sweeps were excellent. They're big as hell though!!! I did a quick street run and my temps were mid 90s. I didn't wanna push too hard especially since I don't quite have the steering down with the new controller yet.

Oh yeah...I only have the extenders on the front...not the rear. The 2.8s fit over the HR hubs easy. I only widened the front for a better stance and to try to improve handling a bit. Plus I like the way it looks...LOL

Here are some random pics. There's one comparing the size of the tires: on the car are the Sweeps, then the Katars and the Trenchers on the outside. The other ones are just the body I have on it at the moment (I change up quite a bit) and how it sits with the Sweeps on it.

Tire Size Comparison 1.jpg
Tire Size Comparison 3.jpg
New Body 2.jpg
New Body 4.jpg
New Body 2.jpg
New Body 3.jpg

I have an update or...a million, Backflips 4s, the $35 dollar servo linked somewhere above, m2c racing rear shock tower, m2c hinge pins, outcast wheelie bar, roll hoop. If I remember any other upgrades I will post them.

On the radio. You have to adjust rate and use exponential to dial it to your liking. This has nothing to do with radio or servo response time.

I had just cleaned it LOL. I've been swapping out the Spektrum stuff (had the 1250KV/160A ESC combo with the 6100 receiver) and going with Castle and Futaba so I haven't had a good run in over 2 weeks. I love the Katars. Only problem is they do wear down quick and they balloon quite a bit too. A belted Katar would be my dream tire. The 2.8 Badlands are close to the Katar width wise but they're shorter (a little over 5 inches). The only tires I've seen even close to Katars in terms of weight and size are the competition truggy/buggy tires but you usually have to glue them yourself like the racers do. I've only ran belted tires. I like the Sweeps Road Crushers too but that weight is a killer. I even wrote them asking if they would look into making that exact tire in a smaller size and they said they were doing testing so I must not be the only one thinking this way.

You're gonna love the Badlands if you like to rip and run. You might not like getting them on cause the opening is small...you're gonna NEED some needle nose pliers. If you find some dirt your car is gonna get mad dirty cause they kick up a lot of dust.
Belted Katars!!! Just came out with the exb talion release. I've already signed up for them. Can't wait for them to come in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back