Talion Talion v4 and typhon v5

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlee1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
So I just bought both brand new. Typhon is bone stock and talion is upgraded radio to Dx5c. My question is my typhon is sooo much faster is this normal or is something wrong with talion. Maybe a setting is wrong? The typhon even sounds like it winds out higher too. Any advice ?

^^^ If you haven't, @FlipSide hit the nail on the head. (y) First place to start. The DX5C has a calibration screen.....deep in its menu.
This radio is obviously new to you. No problem. Start with the Manual. If the dog hasn't eaten it yet. ?‍♂️
Get into the calibration screen. If still confused, watch some good DX5C video how to's....

Bone stock with the factory pinion, the Typhon will be faster than the Talion (just run the numbers through a speed calculator). For kicks, make sure your ESC endpoints are set properly on the Talion.

Talion:
Talion.jpg

Typhon:
Typhon.jpg

^^^ If you haven't, @FlipSide hit the nail on the head. (y) First place to start. The DX5C has a calibration screen.....deep in its menu.
Is that the throttle screen? It’s at 100%. Is that what you guys are talking about. I’m just getting back into rc so Kinda newbie lol.

Is that the throttle screen? It’s at 100%. Is that what you guys are talking about. I’m just getting back into rc so Kinda newbie lol.
NO. I said "calibration" menu.
I have that radio specifically. Start learning your navigation screen. Go through all. Have manual in hand. The GUI is user friendly once you know how it is laid out. Take 20 minutes and navigate through all settings in the Radio. Glance at the manual as you do this. It becomes very intuitive as you do this. We are all new at one time. Baby steps.

Setting the ESC endpoints is done on the ESC and not on the radio (well, after making sure your throttle travel is set to 100% and the trim is set to 0)

@Engineer is totally correct, btw.
But if you never calibrated your DX5C to the ESC, that is mistake #1.
Highly recommend you remove your wheels while on the bench and on a stand when you do this. Or disconnect all the motor leads, or at least 2 of the 3. Ask me how I know?

I made that same mistake, makes a big difference. When I first switched to the DX5c I couldn't figure out why everything felt so sluggish. Needs to be calibrated.

Probably just need to calibrate throttle on esc.
Both my dx5c were good outta box
I never felt Not calibrating my DX5C was good. Any Radio. ?‍♂️ The radio may appear to work ok. Its just not procedure to disregard a radio calibration.

Setting the ESC endpoints is done on the ESC and not on the radio (well, after making sure your throttle travel is set to 100% and the trim is set to 0)
The ESC does have its own calibration and done after a TX/Rx bind. However the DX5C also has a calibration screen. Which I do lastly. Seems redundent. But I beg to differ on this. ?‍♂️
If you really want to learn this YouTube video is very detailed and has a part 2 on the DX5C

That's one of the better videos for sure.(y) Watched it numerous times when I first got my DX5. A lot info there. Good find (y)

The ESC does have its own calibration and done after a TX/Rx bind. However the DX5C also has a calibration screen. Which I do lastly. Seems redundent. But I beg to differ on this. ?‍♂️

That's one of the better videos for sure.(y)

Yeah, the manual says the radio calibration should be done after making physical changes to the transmitter - but I suppose it never hurts to run a calibration every once in awhile.

calibrate.jpg

Again, highly suggest you remove the wheels or disconnect at least 2 of the 3 motor leads! Cant stress that enough. :LOL:
Sometimes I will calibrate it more than once. If the "?" symbols don't initially disappear in proper sequence.
I read the same. I made note of that also. And what does a physical change to the RX truly mean? It could be any change in its operation. IMHO. ?‍♂️
I calibrate my DX5C for every model I have in its memory. It is model specific. So it definitely relates to each distinct models ESC. ?‍♂️

Last edited:
If you really want to learn this YouTube video is very detailed and has a part 2 on the DX5C

Probably just need to calibrate throttle on esc.
Both my dx5c were good outta box
Well I did bot
So little update!! I recalibrated the esc. And ended up adjusting the punch setting. Also calibrated the controller. And all can say is hell yes. That’s more like it. Backed off the punch setting tho. 9 was just a wheelie flip over machine. Thanks for all the help tho. I guess all else fails read the instructions holds true again. Also anyone know if there’s any advantage to swapping the blx185 out to a firma150?
Have you recalibrated the ESC after binding the DX5C?
I got her fixed. Man what a difference thanks for the help

Last edited:
Well I did bot
So little update!! I recalibrated the esc. And ended up adjusting the punch setting. Also calibrated the controller. And all can say is hell yes. That’s more like it. Backed off the punch setting tho. 9 was just a wheelie flip over machine. Thanks for all the help tho. I guess all else fails read the instructions holds true again. Also anyone know if there’s any advantage to swapping the blx185 out to a firma150?

The firma has smart tech built in... otherwise I’d say they are about equal..

Well I did bot

There is no performance spec. difference with both ESC's. They are both 150 Amp ESC's If you consider getting a new ESC, don't waste money on getting the same in the end.
Smart features are overrated. Does nothing for performance. It isn't an Upgrade at all. A DX5C/Firma 150 with latest Raceware FW update will display smart data with a smart Telem Rx only. (Sr6100AT/$80.) If you don't have that Rx already, spend the $80 towards the purchase of a real upgrade ESC instead.
If you want to upgrade your ESC, get one like a Castle or HW. They will have more setting parameters. And adjustable BEC voltages for suitable Servos. That's more money well spent. (y)

Last edited:
There is no performance spec. difference with both ESC's. They are both 150 Amp ESC's If you consider getting a new ESC, don't waste money on getting the same in the end.
Smart features are overrated. Does nothing for performance. It isn't an Upgrade at all. A DX5C/Firma 150 with latest Raceware FW update will display smart data with a smart Telem Rx only. (Sr6100AT/$80.) If you don't have that Rx already, spend the $80 towards the purchase of a real upgrade ESC instead.
If you want to upgrade your ESC, get one like a Castle or HW. They will have more setting parameters. And adjustable BEC voltages for suitable Servos. That's more money well spent. (y)
Would upgrading just esc improve performance? Or is it more of a esc combo to get benefits? Sorry if dumb question.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back