Talion Talion v4 day 0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cr3pitus

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Nero
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 3s
New Talion came in today from Amain. Great summer discount right now.
Sadly, it was broken in the box!!

Nothing major, the rear right shock rod end was stripped off upon opening. Amain is shipping me a new one. I found some random one laying around from some other car and Dremeled it to fit because clearly I'm not patient enough to wait. Stays good enough to run on flat stuff but won't be doing anything rowdy until I get the right one.

As an aside what are the best shock rod ends to put on these? Any why does the shock end have the little protruding tab that would fit perfectly in the spring retainer but then have the little spacer that prevents it from doing so?

Anyway this truggy is freaking amazing. Went zipping around a double baseball field and some parking lots doing figure 8 practice. It's so planted and quick I love it.

Put on the hot racing chassis braces f/r, savox 1210sg @7.4v w/ Castle waterproof bec v2, rpm front bumper/skid plate and rear skid plate. Might honestly be all I do to it, it's quite good!

It doesn't have the destroy all in your path sensation that the Nero gave me but it definitely drives way better. Will probably do a full review on my channel since I don't feel like there's a lot of focused v4 reviews out there. Hope to keep a journal of the experience here.

Happy blasting

Nothing major, the rear right shock rod end was stripped off upon opening. Amain is shipping me a new one. I found some random one laying around from some other car and Dremeled it to fit because clearly I'm not patient enough to wait. Stays good enough to run on flat stuff but won't be doing anything rowdy until I get the right one.

As an aside what are the best shock rod ends to put on these? Any why does the shock end have the little protruding tab that would fit perfectly in the spring retainer but then have the little spacer that prevents it from doing so?

Anyway this truggy is freaking amazing. Went zipping around a double baseball field and some parking lots doing figure 8 practice. It's so planted and quick I love it.

Put on the hot racing chassis braces f/r, savox 1210sg @7.4v w/ Castle waterproof bec v2, rpm front bumper/skid plate and rear skid plate. Might honestly be all I do to it, it's quite good!

It doesn't have the destroy all in your path sensation that the Nero gave me but it definitely drives way better. Will probably do a full review on my channel since I don't feel like there's a lot of focused v4 reviews out there. Hope to keep a journal of the experience here.

Happy blasting
Tekno makes good rod ends and I think I read an @olds97_lss post once that gives the part number. I also found some Nero ends in a mixed in a bag of parts that Arrma packages together. They hold up pretty well too, but the fit is a little tight and they rub pretty heavy against the suspension arm. Good to have in a pinch over the tiny stock ones.

I just ordered these Tekno balls and ends for my 6S Kraton. I also have a Tekno MT and checked for fit. The Nero variants are robust but didn't fit well for me. I tried.

Alum. Balls TKR5049A (4pcs)
Rod ends TKR6140C (4pcs)
Cart wheeling always destroys the rod ends for me. Like clock work. A 20 ft. cartwheel and there goes a rear shock end. The OE ones stretch, then snap. I even have my shock droop setup properly. But the rear arms twist and pull out the ends. User error of course.:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the part numbers, and also thanks to post above yours. I'll give the tekno ones a shot. I might have some stock Nero ones left? But I replaced all the ones on my Nero with an associated rod end that was much beefier so the ones I have on my Nero shocks I stripped off definitely are too fat. How do you like your droop? I just changed min from stock setup which seemed like it allowed way too much negative travel. I did like 2 full turns maybe and just made sure they were also equal left to right. What's the zeitgeist for balancing handling with lowering strain on the rod ends?

I just ordered these Tekno balls and ends for my 6S Kraton. I also have a Tekno MT and checked for fit. The Nero variants are robust but didn't fit well for me. I tried.

Alum. Balls TKR5049A (4pcs)
Rod ends TKR6140C (4pcs)
Cart wheeling always destroys the rod ends for me. Like clock work. A 20 ft. cartwheel and there goes a rear shock end. The OE ones stretch, then snap. I even have my shock droop setup properly. But the rear arms twist and pull out the ends. User error of course.:)

What’s the use of a non flanged and a flanged ball?

Also noted on my Typhon the ball has a ridge rather then the flanged style I’ve been used to?

So when using alternative shocks or shock ends are the Tekno ones advised?
As noted Arrma do a alu ball as well?

The tekno's seem pricey, but they really do hold up to abuse. In the past year, I've broken 1 or 2 on the front during really bad landings. I was running some dubro monster ends that I cut down/drilled out/tapped just to try as I had them on hand when I needed to replace my stock ones a month after getting the outcast.

Actually, it was 7 days after getting the outcast... lol
2018-0806-ArrmaAR330338-Stretched.jpg.jpg

Dubro 2319 cut/drilled/tapped on the left, stock on the right:
2018-0806-Dubro2319Monster3mmVsArrmaAR330338-01.jpg

Stock on the left, Tekno TKR6140B/TKR5049A on the right:
2018-0814-Outcast-ShockEnds-vs-TeknoTKR6140B-TKR5049A.jpg

The OE V4 shock end balls on my rig came with composite plastic balls.
I just wanted to match a new set of Tekno balls with the Tekno ends. I did not compare sizes of both or know if they are even interchangeable.
I just want alum. balls over the composite ones.
Flanged balls are wider with extension each side. Non-flanged are just round balls.
Make sure your droop is set that you don't fully over extend your shocks at rebound. This will minimize rod end failure and broken shock pistons.

Last edited:
Yes I’ve seen them but the ones on my Typhon are somewhere in between and have a ridge!
8378BA4C-711C-4EBC-8FDA-4DBC7153B63B.jpeg

So if fitting alternative brands of shock ends is it ok to go the flangless type or the stock ones above (as like you point out the flanged type are too wide)

I originally replaced the OE rod ends with a supposed correct part number from the Kraton section of my manual and it was a no-fit for some reason. The rod end didn't even fit the original ball and the rod end was too wide. I double and triple checked the part numbers in the manual and online. Number was correct. Rod end was not. Going to Tekno now. Important to match the ball with the ID of the rod end and make sure the ball is correct width for sure. whether needs to be flanged in some cases or not. Typhon has different arms than the Kraton ?

From Amain? I wonder if they sent you one that was previously returned broken... When I went through all the defective electronics BS with my Enduro and they said "it was fine" when it was returned (which it wasn't and I sent them video proof of) they said in their email the body had scuffs on the top and they couldn't resell it as new EVEN THOUGH I HAD SENT THEM PROOF THE ELECTRONICS WERE BAD. Another reason I will never shop there again. They literally resell defective returns as new products, and that's BS.

From Amain? I wonder if they sent you one that was previously returned broken... When I went through all the defective electronics BS with my Enduro and they said "it was fine" when it was returned (which it wasn't and I sent them video proof of) they said in their email the body had scuffs on the top and they couldn't resell it as new EVEN THOUGH I HAD SENT THEM PROOF THE ELECTRONICS WERE BAD. Another reason I will never shop there again. They literally resell defective returns as new products, and that's BS.
Amain has always treated me the best ironically. And I did not purchase there. Got it from Horizon. But no, the Rod Ends numbers were correct, the package was sealed and the Arrma site had the correct picture of what I received. It still baffles me to this day.
Surprised. Yes, you got screwed over on that Enduro. Defect is defect. Not your problem that they cannot sell it as new.(y) I like the Sendero too. I have 3 Crawlers as well. I just don't like AE/Thundertiger anymore for there rigs. Spent numerous money on their rigs years past. They have changed in quality and parts availability. Got burned on the last two rigs. Went discontinued with no parts support within a year. Broken shelf queens now.(n) Needing broken diffs that burn out fast. I called AE. They said I was SOL and cut the conversation short. No more AE for me.
The Sendero has a highly regarded transmission with Overdrive/Underdrive at the transfer case.(y) Many Crawlers guys are just buying the trans. for their other Crawlers. It appears to drop in easy.

Last edited:
So I have the tekno shock ends coming but I'll be gone for work when they get here. The product from Amain gets here tomorrow night but I found a lhs that carries some arrma stuff and got one from them. Took it on a local track and finally got to see how it does. Really fun. Stable and jumps fantastic. It's not that big of a track and although it's well laid out it's really for a 1/8 buggy like the Typhon at the biggest - so the switchbacks require some creative cornering.

Then I was lucky enough to have the one rock on the track magically wedge itself under the center diff cup and wear it down by about 2mm so that needs immediate replacing. Still works and doesn't leak but I have no idea how much plastic is left. Might put on an aluminum one since then I would have at least heard it earlier than I did. Freak annoying occurrence not a big deal.

Definitely needs one of those mesh covers under the body.

Have any of you ever found a good premade comprehensive screw kit that's at least hardened steel that doesn't strip out easily? I live in wet ol WA so even with cleaning screws don't last long before they become too close to stripping out easily.

Happy blasting
RPM makes good shock arms. That is what I run on mine. They also pretty cheap. I believe you get 8 in the pack

Yeah I'll probably pick up one of those covers. It's an easy chassis to clean but having to clean less out and not having a demon rock ruin the pinion/spur/diff cup is always nice. Do you find it increases temps at all from lowering airflow? I'm happy to see the Talion runs way cooler than the Nero on 6s since it's not all encased in 5ft thick polycarbonate. I used a temp gun the last few runs and it seems to always have around 30 degrees to spare before danger zone even in grass.

Update on the setup.

The tekno rod ends and metal pivot balls came in and I really like their interlocking design. In the past on other cars when breaking a lower shock rod end I have lost a spring perch which was really annoying so it's nice to see that these will probably eliminate that from happening.

Two things about the tekno ends though for the talion v4: they are really difficult to get threaded on initially - like I'm quite strong and it was literally physically difficult lmao. Also the talion v4 comes stock with a little cylindrical spacer between the perch and rod end that can't be utilized with the tekno rod ends if you want to attach the perch to the rod end. I opted to attach the pieces and not use the spacer but then you have to compensate at the spring collar to keep ride height up. I'll see at the track this weekend if this stiffens the suspension up at all.

In a perfect world I would like to see ride height primarily determined by spring weight/length without preload adjustment since on any coil sprung system adding preload reduces small bump compliance. Might try to find some springs that are the same rate but longer to accomplish this.

Anyone know of any?

Also shimmed the diffs changed weights and put the hot racing aluminum diff cup in the center. Going with 30/200/10k f/c/r to try to even out f/r a and give a little more pull/on power steering coming out of corners while still letting the rear rotate around the corner via the diff. Will report on that setup later. Getting 200k in without bubbles and over fill is a PITA btw.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back