Talion Talion vs Kraton, both on Badlands, and ride height question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Race

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm a first time RC buyer and can't decide between the two models.
I know about the differences stock vs stock, and I'm more tempted by the Kraton for its better offroad capabilities.
However, I assume that most of the advantage comes from the larger tires on the Kraton and its better ride height.
Everyone seems to upgrade the tires to Proline Badlands, which would mean the same size tires on both cars.

Stock Talion has 145 mm (5.71 in) diameter tires and 45 mm (1.77 in) ride height.
Stock Kraton has 165 mm (6.5 in) diameter tires and 47 mm (1.85 in) ride height.
The Badlands are 149 mm (5.85 in) in diameter, so slightly larger than Talion wheels but significantly smaller than Kraton wheels.

First question: why is the stock ride height difference so small ? The wheels are 20 mm taller, so I would expect the Kraton to ride 10 mm higher than the Talion, not just 2 mm.
Second question: would fitting both models with 149 mm Badlands actually make the Kraton ride lower than the Talion ?
Third question: which would be the better car (offroad grass/dirt/sand/mud) if both are fitted with 149 mm Badlands ? Would the wider suspension of the Kraton be an advantage or a disadvantage ?

Ride height is directly related to setup - shocks and droop screws - and it is pretty easy to adjust. Without having both truck infront of me, I'd guess that Arrma just had the shock collers screwed down a bit more on the Talion to get the ride height up due to the smaller tires. With the Kraton, just screw the collars down a bit, and you will gain ride height. Also, you can upgrade to stiffer springs to help - but the V3 comes with pretty good springs for general bashing (v1 and v2 needed upgrades).

If ride height is your primary worry, maybe look at the dBoots Backflip tires - nearly the same tread as Badlands, but on a taller tire - taller even than the Kraton tires. (this is the stock tire for the Outcast).

For the #3 - wider = more stable. Narrow = more nimble. Pick your poison. I had both a Kraton(v1) and a Talion(v1) for a while. With truggy tires on both, on a off-road track, the Kraton felt more planted, but the Talion got around the corners easier.

I run ProLine Trenchers on my Kraton and they are 175mm tall. Are you sure the Badlands are 149mm? That doesn't seem right.

Edit: Yep. Badlands are 149. I didn’t realize that. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
The Talion has much smaller towers and shocks, for ride height the Kraton is better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back