Talion Talion vs Traxxas Desert Unlimited truck?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ggradtech

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Anyone know how these two stack up against one another? I love my Talion and wouldnt want to swap it out for the new Traxxas anyways. Just curious about that new truck that Traxxas has. I know its a lot $$$$, that's for sure.

Anyone know how these two stack up against one another? I love my Talion and wouldnt want to swap it out for the new Traxxas anyways. Just curious about that new truck that Traxxas has. I know its a lot $$$$, that's for sure.
There really isn't a comparison as those two vehicles are completely different types of vehicles and scale of vehicle. It would be like comparing a 1/10 buggy to a 1/8 monster truck, apples to oranges. So it really depends on what you want to do with it and which one would best fit your needs.

That said, if I was to get a desert racer style vehicle, for that money, I would personally go for the Losi Super Baja Rey over the Desert Racer. But everybody is different and likes different things.

The Traxxas is between a 1/7 and 1/8, so the scale is similar. Both run 6s, use a similar sized/kv motor and both are 4wd. I realize its a "truck", but are they THAT much different?

The Traxxas is between a 1/7 and 1/8, so the scale is similar. Both run 6s, use a similar sized/kv motor and both are 4wd. I realize its a "truck", but are they THAT much different?
With the trailing arm rear suspension, yes they are quite a bit different and will jump and take bumps night and day different. The trailing arm suspension is better at taking bumps and small whoop jumps but they tend to jump heavily nose down on larger jumps and their suspensions are too soft for large jumps. Again, it depends on what kind of driving you are doing as to if you will like one over the other. Also, the Desert Racer is 6" longer, which is quite a difference.

Based on "scale is similar. Both run 6s, use a similar sized/kv motor and both are 4wd." You could also say that the Typhon and Kraton are similar comparable vehicles, when they are night and day different and in completely different categories.

It looks like you are talking about the Traxxas UDR (Unlimited Desert Racer). I have seen a number of vids on this 1/7 scale truck. I will tell you that it looks pretty cool! BUT every time someone posts a video of it being driven, it's at best unstable. It flips, rolls, lands wonky from jumps, and is just generally a horribly balanced vehicle from what is shown. KillerOffRoadHobbyz has a few good vids on it. One as recent as yesterday... Posted below...

For the $700 plus, I think it has a lot of improvements that need to be made before I would consider buying it. I have a new X-Maxx, and that thing rocks! It was a bit hard to swallow the $900. But I also put a bunch of lights on it, a large bluetooth speaker on it and working on a trailer hitch. That thing is a party wagon as well as a basher. If you're going to spend $750 on a UDR, spend the extra $150 and get the X-Maxx for sure.

To your original question, the UDR, and the Talion are totally different vehicles. But if I was to compare the 2, the Talion is waaaaay more stable, way faster, and generally way more fun because you can drive it as opposed to having to flip it back on its tires every couple seconds!:banghead:

Seems like when the UDR came out, I looked up wheelbase and track vs a truggy - IIRC, the wheelbase is only about 1.5" longer, and track is about an inch wider. So sizewise, bigger, but not huge.

My local Hobbytown had a UDR on the counter. It was bigger than a "standard" SCT, but again, not huge. I've not played with a AE SC8 or a Hobao 8SC, but I expect the UDR would be bigger, but not much bigger...

The UDR drivetrain is pretty complex. It has a weird reduction gearing system in it to help avoid torque twist or some such. For me, it would be too annoying to wrench on in general. I already have a savage... I don't need more complicated, I need less complicated. lol

Yeah, I think my Talion would spank that new, overpriced Traxxas truck anyways. I have a Slash 4x4 and that is a pretty nice truck. Traxxas is just overpriced in general. Pretty good quality i think, but you are probably paying $$$ for the name. A Slash even just on 2s is no slouch.

Yeah, I think my Talion would spank that new, overpriced Traxxas truck anyways. I have a Slash 4x4 and that is a pretty nice truck. Traxxas is just overpriced in general. Pretty good quality i think, but you are probably paying $$$ for the name. A Slash even just on 2s is no slouch.
That has always been my thoughts on Traxxas as well. They aren't bad vehicles but they are overpriced by 20-40% but like you said, you are paying more money for the name and the ability to walk into ANY hobby shop and get parts and even some department stores have their vehicles and parts.

For me, where the nearest place to get parts is 1+ hour away. So I could care less about how many hobby shops they are in since I order everything from the internet anyways. If I had a local or more local hobby shop, then I would probably care more.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back