Talion Talion with MAX 6 and 4985 motor ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaSwede

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hi

Soon i will install my Max 6 and 4985 HW motor to my V4 Talion.

I have order one M1 19T pinion 5mm hardened.

I have everything else in the gearing systrem stock.

What top speed can i reach with this set up in my Talion ?

Is there better gearing options ?

Can i only drive it 6s ?

What about 7s, i found one 7s 5000mah 50c burst cheap.
Or dual 4s , is it possible drive 8s ?

Now i only have 3s / 6s with dual.

Can the system handle more volts in my car ?

#1 check your motor bearings before you do anything, latest version comes with sub-par bearings rated at 32000rpm and you will get to 42000 on 6S.
Do yourself a favor and order some good ones.
Front 15x24x5 these are wrong
Rear 8x16x5

bearing 6x19x6

Seems like it will run fine on 8S (see link). Any odd number for S (5S or 7S) you have to disable the LVC detection.

More info:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-talion-8s.23496/#post-324248

Last edited:
jkflow
why they change to crap Bearings?

I will order ceramic ones now and also have some Speed oil in them extra drop

Thank you again jkflow
You save me always

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my hands on the first 4985 examples to arrive in North America and have been beating them to death on 6 and 8s for over a year with no bearing issues at all. That’s 55,000+rpm and they’re still butter smooth even though I recently pulled and replaced them with ceramics.

For speed on 6s with a 19t pinion 50t spur running the stock karat tires you’re looking at 53mph. I would suggest a 22t pinion and the infraction 46t spur with katars (66mph) without motor fans. With motor fans you can gear it up 24-26t pinion with 46T spur (73-79mph) on 6s.

If you run 8s gear down some to 20-21t and run motor fans

O.M.G

Straight to Business. No Bullshit.

You are Professional and the best !

Now i can enjoy my Talion alot more soon Easy :)

Thank you Mr. Duke
Best Arrma dude :)

There is a thread here somewhere on bearings and the 4985, I read that shortly before ordering mine. The typical NSK (high quality bearings) where changed during production and replaced with cheaper versions, that just happened earlier this year and someone blew up his motor, consider 30 day warranty and you are out of luck.

Edit: Found it:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/hobbywing-warning.17509/

My 4985 has been solid, no bearing problems, had it over a year now, beat the snot out of it...

@ArrmaSwede Hey I posted the wrong bearing size for the motor, thisis the right one:
bearing 6x19x6
They have it ion the posted thread. The ones I listed above are for HR hubs ?

Just came across this as I was thinking of the exact same upgrade for my Talion. Is this still an issue with this motor? I'd really rather not have to tear apart a brand new unit.

At the time, they had swapped manufacturers, no idea if that is still an issue.
Only way to know is to open the can, the bearings are clearly marked. Haven't seen anyone complain about it lately.

Prob a dumb question, but will running the Max6 with the 4985 motor on stock gearing be slower? Is a changing of the pinion and/or spur required to see a speed increase?

Yes, motor has less RPM by default, it's a 1650kV vs 2050 kV. Roughly translates into RPM per volt. Another rough estimate 80% of speed on identical pinion.
You will get a lot less heat with the 4985 and more torque. That allows you to gear up with less issues. You would be limited to 20T with tons of issues on the stock system while you can do a 24T all day long pending your surfaces (not grass).
Keep in mind that you will blow up tires as you get close to speeds of 65mph.

This is great info, thanks guys. Would a 22t work for high speed bashing in low grass? Like soccer field low, and some pavement? Looking for a bit more top end than stock while not having to be overly concerned with temperatures .

Suggest to add a cooling fan to your motor if you do that.
Dff fluids should be higher than stock or you will blow out tires on uneven surfaces.
Read up on the fan mod (clip the tips) and consider a better ESC fan setup if you run into thermal issues.

I have a dual motor fan assembly which hopefully I can get to work with the 4985, and I'll read up on the fan mod. What fluids do you suggest for the diffs? Based on Mr. Dukes earlier post, looking at purchasing these two gears:

ARA310939 - 46t spur
AR310483 - 22t pinion

Sound about right?

I run mine on a hobbystar 1730kv motor geared 24/46 but with 4s outcast tires to get through the gravel around my apartment a little better. The 4985 does make it a little tougher to get enough clearance between the body and the fan if you go bigger than the yeah racing dual fan mount. I fit a hobbywing heat sink with a 50x20mm fan on it on mine and have had zero heating issues.

Diff oils are a highly dependent on personal preference. I use 50k/500k/30k f/c/r. Stock is 10/100/10.
If you leave it stock you will blow out the tires as soon as you hit a bump.
Good range for center 200k-1M, front 20-50k, rear 20-50k but you typically want the higher in the front.
Why 30&50? I got the set diff oil set which came with 10/30/50k, no other reason.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back