Typhon Talk me out of a TLR tuned Typhon 6S BLX RTR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Or feed into my madness. I want to get a 1/8 buggy that is good for racing, but mostly just for having fun with. I figured the TLR Tuned Typhon 6s RTR is the perfect rig for what I want. It's already built, and can be tuned for racing, and has upgraded parts from the factory. If I ever get into actual racing, I think I'll have a great platform to start with.

Motivate Shia Labeouf GIF

I have the roller and love it for light bashing.

It's my understanding though, the TLR is quite a bit heavier than most of the competitive race buggies.

Didn't one of our members on here yesterday had a frontal fender bender with his Typhon TLR and it survived with just some minor bits flying off?
I can't seem to recall which thread that was from yesterday... Anybody recall?

If you don't own a Typhon you need at least 1 IMO. I bought 1 of the v5 RTR back in January during the sale and liked it so much I ordered 2 more before I even drove the 1st one I had just unboxed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Which I probably will soon lol

I have the roller and love it for light bashing.

It's my understanding though, the TLR is quite a bit heavier than most of the competitive race buggies.
Weight won't matter to me now. If I start racing competitively, then I'll look into a dedicated race rig if I really get the itch lol.

Didn't one of our members on here yesterday had a frontal fender bender with his Typhon TLR and it survived with just some minor bits flying off?
Hmmm I can't recall, I'll have to look.

If you don't own a Typhon you need at least 1 IMO. I bought 1 of the v5 RTR back in January during the sale and liked it so much I ordered 2 more before I even drove the 1st one I had just unboxed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't own a Typhon. Seems justified now. *pulls out wallet*

lol

I don't own a Typhon. Seems justified now. *pulls out wallet*
Hopefully, yours doesn't reproduce as fast as mine did. ;)

I truggified one with some belted MX28 and have most of the parts to truggify another but I need to toss some street tires on the wide one first to see how it handles on the street before I widen a 2nd or 3rd one.

PXL_20230302_162846870.jpg

It’s funny, I just finished rebuilding a 10 year old Losi 8ight 3.0 with mostly typhon, electronics and shocks. And while I admit, I know nothing about racing so take this with a grain of salt… But that buggy even 10 years old is just in a totally different league, quality and engineering and precision wise. And I’m not talking Traxxas versus Arma… I’m talking mail delivery truck versus F1 car lol.

That said, the typhon TLR looks like a sweet car, and don’t think it would be unhappy with it at all! I just think it seems more about marketing than actual race readiness from what I’ve seen. But still a great car… and a real full up 1/8 scale, race, buggy from techno or Losi totally built would put you over $1000 new. Trade offs.

How about this one. 476 is good value for money, more race-able and as I understand also very durable (and super strong Diffs)

https://www.serpent.com/xcart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=11697
Would be interesting to check one out in person. Everything is 6061 instead of 7075 so it will have to be thicker and heavier, or weaker. It doesn’t mean it’s bad value though. I’ve never heard of serpent but I imagine other people have… I would be curious to hear.

I love my Typhon TLR for bashing. It might be fine for casual racing but you wouldn't be too competitive. It's a heavy pig compared to real race buggies.

I'd buy a Tekno, TLR, or Associated buggy if you think you'll actually race at some point.

I bashed an Associated RC8B3.2E for a while and it was a rocket! I drove that thing super hard, including jumps, and never broke a single part. Most durable basher I've ever owned.

Last edited:
🙋‍♂️

That was me.
Drove under a prius @50mph and it snapped the front diff. Not as much damage as I initially thought. Replaced the front diff case, lost a upper hingepin and need spacers for upper a arms. I'll be up and running in no time. Minor set backs happen. TYPHON is my favorite rc at the moment. If you get one, stay away from Prius'! 😅😂🤣

🙋‍♂️

That was me.
Drove under a prius @50mph and it snapped the front diff. Not as much damage as I initially thought. Replaced the front diff case, lost a upper hingepin and need spacers for upper a arms. I'll be up and running in no time. Minor set backs happen. TYPHON is my favorite rc at the moment. If you get one, stay away from Prius'! 😅😂🤣

Right O..
Okay.
I knew I wasn't imagining things..

Well I had just printed up a bunch of those clip spacers.. so if you need some.
Just PM me. 👊

Or feed into my madness. I want to get a 1/8 buggy that is good for racing, but mostly just for having fun with. I figured the TLR Tuned Typhon 6s RTR is the perfect rig for what I want. It's already built, and can be tuned for racing, and has upgraded parts from the factory. If I ever get into actual racing, I think I'll have a great platform to start with.
If you are really serious about racing, never buy anything RTR or in a roller form. You don’t want mass produced stamped China crap. Buy a racing 1/8 KIT. Mugen always comes to mind. Made in Japan with the most perfect tolerances available in RC.

If you are really serious about racing, never buy anything RTR or in a roller form. You don’t want mass produced stamped China crap. Buy a racing 1/8 KIT. Mugen always comes to mind. Made in Japan with the most perfect tolerances available in RC.
Yep definitely agree. If I get really serious about racing, I'll get a kit. I'm also a firm believer of run what you brung. Plus if I try out racing and don't like it, I'm not stuck with a super expensive race rig. Or if I suck at racing, I'm not constantly crashing an expensive rig haha.
On the other hand, if I'm super good and know how to use my gear to its' fullest potential, it might be quite fun using my RTR to pass the expensive rigs, lol.

Yep definitely agree. If I get really serious about racing, I'll get a kit. I'm also a firm believer of run what you brung. Plus if I try out racing and don't like it, I'm not stuck with a super expensive race rig. Or if I suck at racing, I'm not constantly crashing an expensive rig haha.
On the other hand, if I'm super good and know how to use my gear to its' fullest potential, it might be quite fun using my RTR to pass the expensive rigs, lol.
👍🏻 first, all the best of luck! 2nd, if racing doesn’t work out, you’ll own a better overall race car and basher. Trust me, a race rig can handle bashing better than a basher💪🏻

Can’t have too many Typhons.
👍🏻 first, all the best of luck! 2nd, if racing doesn’t work out, you’ll own a better overall race car and basher. Trust me, a race rig can handle bashing better than a basher💪🏻
You must not have bashed a lot of SC10’s… 😂 I got tired of writing checks.
Fantastic on the track, but they don’t take impacts quite so well!

Last edited:
The typhon is amazing. buy it.

The thing people say that racing kits are much better, my experience is different. sorry. i have a Kyosho and the typhon is so much better in many ways. Associated (b3.2) brakes and wear parts so much faster.

I race my typhon regularly, it's the most durable car on my track, both when crashing and in wear. second maybe to the Mugen. parts quality is mostly very good, and where it lacks high quality parts you can just upgrade it easily (like changing to metal sway bar joints or to metal balls for the shocks), and yes you can (should) make it bit lighter, but it's easy. If you don't podium with the Typhon on club races than it's you not the car.

Last edited:
The typhon is amazing. buy it.

The thing people say that racing kits are much better, my experience is different. sorry. i have a Kyosho and the typhon is so much better in many ways. Associated (b3.2) brakes and wear parts so much faster.

I race my typhon regularly, it's the most durable car on my track, both when crashing and in wear. second maybe to the Mugen. parts quality is mostly very good, and where it lacks high quality parts you can just upgrade it easily (like changing to metal sway bar joints or to metal balls for the shocks), and yes you can (should) make it bit lighter, but it's easy. If you don't podium with the Typhon on club races than it's you not the car.
What a great track that is!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back