TBone Bumper Wrecking Screw Holes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah I was just saying I made sure I put the screws even though it was made wrong lol its holding up good no issues other than the block screws stripped out right off the bat had to replace those

it only has 4 screws in the picture may be a newer model idk
Mine is the same way, only 4 screws. I prefer it this way to be honest. The front two flat head screws are still countersunk into the chassis plate rather than the T-Bone bumper locking the bulkhead to the chassis plate like it supposed to be rather than the screw just going through a clearance hole which could allow movement like it does in the back.

Mine is the same way, only 4 screws. I prefer it this way to be honest. The front two flat head screws are still countersunk into the chassis plate rather than the T-Bone bumper locking the bulkhead to the chassis plate like it supposed to be rather than the screw just going through a clearance hole which could allow movement like it does in the back.
same here I think it's a newer model than the one they have

Yep that's the new Version 2.0 of the V4 bumper if that isn't confusing in itself. Personally what is disappointing is that I ordered my T-Bone bumper from T Bone Racing in November/December last year and they didn't send me the latest released product by the look of it (I checked their website and there are review going back to at least April last year for the 2.0 version).

@T-Bone Racing is this something you can have a look into. I didn't realise I was buying an already out dated product at the time so it seems. If I'm wrong then I apologise in advance. Happy for you to PM me.

yeah I was just saying I made sure I put the screws even though it was made wrong lol its holding up good no issues other than the block screws stripped out right off the bat had to replace those

it only has 4 screws in the picture may be a newer model idk
The design change seems to fit the idea of protecting those two covered screws. On the last version, they would get ground down pretty bad and really fast. Probably allows for a little more flex in the bumper too. ???TBR!
Yep that's the new Version 2.0 of the V4 bumper if that isn't confusing in itself. Personally what is disappointing is that I ordered my T-Bone bumper from T Bone Racing in November/December last year and they didn't send me the latest released product by the look of it (I checked their website and there are review going back to at least April last year for the 2.0 version).

@T-Bone Racing is this something you can have a look into. I didn't realise I was buying an already out dated product at the time so it seems. If I'm wrong then I apologise in advance. Happy for you to PM me.
You can install yours the same way. Put the two screws into the bulk head before adding the bumper. Add a little JB Weld or epoxy to fill the middle holes on the bumper and voila, you're all up to date.?

The design change seems to fit the idea of protecting those two covered screws. On the last version, they would get ground down pretty bad and really fast. Probably allows for a little more flex in the bumper too. ???TBR!

You can install yours the same way. Put the two screws into the bulk head before adding the bumper. Add a little JB Weld or epoxy to fill the middle holes on the bumper and voila, you're all up to date.?
Yeah but it just kinda irks me to know that I bought a bumper and they send me the old model.....to be fair I defiantly know I bought my Traxxas one online from their site, but i’m Not 100% sure about this one as I nearly remember what I had for breakfast but I think I did

I've had RPM on my Kraton and my Notorious from day 1. I've nosed dived them plenty. Still going strong and no damaged gear boxes. Go with what you are comfortable with. The RPM bumper has been stellar for me. Didn't need to modify the design one iota.

I'm running the RPM bumper on mine from day 1 as well. No problems so far . I've taken a few nose dives and slammed into a few concrete pillars .

I'm running the RPM bumper on mine from day 1 as well. No problems so far . I've taken a few nose dives and slammed into a few concrete pillars .
I understand some people have had issues with RPM's warranty policy and I get that. Personally I won't warranty a plastic RC part if it involves shipping it back to the manufacturer. It's not worth my time or the effort. T-Bone doesn't make you return the old part and therefore has a better warranty in my opinion. But warranty policy is second to quality of the product and I like RPM better. That's all.

I liked my RPM bumper but was extremely disappointed that it only lasted 2 weeks before it shattered, it was in the 70s that day so it wasn't even cold out. My tbone racing bumper lasted almost half a year before the top plate broke on a 30* day.

Like I said in another thread I have not been very happy with Rpms parts lately, their rear a arms aren't a direct fit for me as well as many others and Rpm says that Arrma changed something in the design of the car to cause it and we should just sand the a arms so they fit, their wing mounts are worse and break easier than the stock ones in my own experience, I've had 2 stock and 3 Rpm wing mounts the stock ones bend really bad then break, the Rpms just break and myself along with others(even on other platforms) have had their Rpm a arms bow after a few months of use.

It's odd how experiences can vary so much. I've broken 4 stock wing mounts in the past 5 days. 4. My RPM wing mount finally gave way after nearly a year of abuse. And I could probably compile a 5 minute video of hit after massive hit to my RPM front bumpers. The one T-bone I have for my Typhon split in half (they replaced it). I've only had one rear RPM arm break on me on a small jump. It just shattered. That was odd. I replaced all the RPM arms on Kraton because they bowed. I did store the truck on its tires though. Now I keep the weight off when not usingy trucks. I just ordered 2 complete RPM arm sets for my Granite and BRCC. They have to be better than the stock arms which are trash.

I'm interested in knowing if others are having the same problem as me. I run a T-Bone V4 bumper on my Kraton and it does a great job of protecting the front end for collision damage. What I am experiencing however is that screw holes in the front diff housing are getting flogged out and the screw are now backing out oh so easily. See the attached pics. I have also included a pic of a new housing for comparison. I then measured the holes on the new with what is on the car now. The new housing holes are approximately 3.11mm in diameter and the ones on the car have grown to 4.15 (I say approximately to allow for error with old tired eyes).

Is anyone else who runs T-Bone bumpers experiencing similar problems and have the a fix apart from replacing the housing? Replacing the housing every couple of months is not acceptable.

Cheers
I've heard of a couple people having that problem with the tbone bumber that's part of the reason I went with the rpm front bumper

I think it comes down to personal preference or looks. I've torn up both and imo they're pretty even for durability.

Tbone ~ front 2 screws pulled through
IMG_0207.JPG

Same thing on the RPM bumper
IMG_0206.JPG

I will say that the tbone XV4 bumpers are more durable than the RPM or TBone basher series bumpers but it comes at a cost by making access to the front a complete PITA. It also pokes holes in the front of the body when it takes a hit. It's design keeps a lot of the stress off the front 2 screws on the bottom side of the chassis where the prm and regular tbone bumpers like to pull the screw heads through but it's just not for me. I'm not sure I could break the XV4 but I ditched it anyway just because it pissed me off one too many times trying to get to a screw on the front and it's the ugliest of the 3

IMG_0208.JPG

The Arrma design using a plastic diff housing to mount stuff is poor. It would be good to see designers think a bit more creativity but maybe it’s no possible. I like the plastic TBone use over RPM as it is more durable. I have recently replaced my XV4 front bumper with the TBone Typhon bumper. It is much the same design as also the RPM but made with a stronger plastic IMO. I stole that idea from @Primarrma

It should be said though regardless of your preference, bumpers are made to protect other stuff. They will at some point break and will break something. Just like a decent crash in a real vehicle with a bull bar, rarely is the bull bar the only thing damaged.

If I wasn’t so rubbish I wouldn’t have a bumper at all. I run a bumper to hopefully reduce how much I spend on breakages, not to stop them

If you are experiencing tearing, fit a shim or washer larger than the size of the screw thread it will help spread the load. The thin shims work well as they mould to the shape of the hole.

where do you put the washer? I gave up on my tbone. I installed a brand new bulkhead and the bumper ruined it in one run. I even put a larger diameter screw in attempting to combat the issue. It's to the point I don't even run the big girl anymore because it cost minimum $15 a run

where do you put the washer? I gave up on my tbone. I installed a brand new bulkhead and the bumper ruined it in one run. I even put a larger diameter screw in attempting to combat the issue. It's to the point I don't even run the big girl anymore because it cost minimum $15 a run
This is why I only run Typhon or RPM bumpers, they don't damage gearbox cases. I put the shim on the 4 screws under the screw head where it screws on to the plastic bumper on the chassis holes.

If you are experiencing tearing, fit a shim or washer larger than the size of the screw thread it will help spread the load. The thin shims work well as they mould to the shape of the hole.
Thanks mate, I've got a new one on the way I'm gonna try this out on

My stock bumper screws broke off in the front bulkhead does anyone know how to get them out I just ordered a front tbone bumper

My stock bumper screws broke off in the front bulkhead does anyone know how to get them out I just ordered a front tbone bumper
Pic? If you take off the red aluminum plate, is there enough to get some small vice grips on the remaining part of the screw?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back