Typhon Team Losi Racing Tuned Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For someone who never built a kit racer, this is a great stepping stone. The price is not tragic either.
I am considering one, only because I wanted an RTR Typhon for my collection. I just don't know if I will truly like it. Buggies never appealed to me. So I never got one in all my years. This may fit the bill. I don't like rigs that just sit as shelf queens and rarely used.. I try to avoid that.
I think this was Arrma's way of making a Typhon roller, which they needed and people wanted. Just marketted with a twist of TLRT. Which still baffles me. I think this whole rig was planned strictly from a HH marketting perspective. And Arrma, UK was told to make it happen.

Last edited:
For someone who never built a kit racer, this is a great stepping stone. The price is not tragic either.
I am considering one, only because i wanted an RTR Typhon for my collection. I just don't know if I will truly like it. Buggies never appealed to me. So I never got one in all my years. This may fit the bill. I don't like rigs that just sit as shelf queens and rarely used.. I try to avoid that.
It definitely has a lot of tunable suspension parts as any track car should. I really want to see it out in the real world in some real hands like ryan Harris or adam drake. Price point isn't terrible but in that same point there are many proven 1/8 kits in that same range. 1/8 tracks are extremely hard to find around here personally. I see it being a good stepping stone for someone getting into racing. I personally am the type of person that would just get the best kit I can find currently and not take the baby steps. I hope it proves me wrong and it turns out to be a leading contender. 🤞

Yeah this TLRT would be perfect as a Speed Runner platform. Unfortunately that was not the intent. Typhon 6s was always a candidate platform for SR.
Nothing new though.

The Mojo would need alot of tuning to run a technical track for sure. I find it best for the wide open. And fun it is.
The track for a Mojave would be based on Crandon, where full size SCT's race. We would not run the Mojave on the U4 track; it would be a mess.

I could see Ryan tinkering with it in a video of sorts. A big maybe.:LOL:
Drake will never own one of these.:LOL: Definitely not do a video if he did.
Drake is a nitro guy FWIW. And much can be learned from him as far as tuning goes. Both Chassis and engines.
These guys are sponsored, so a conflict of interest has to be considered.
The TLRT is just not and never will be any track contender at the pro level. Ryan runs comp rigs exclusively also. He has a few bashers. Just not spoken about much. These 2 guys are Race bred . Ryan being more the club level guy and ends up at invitationals here and there along side pros.
I would be happy with a review by @razorrc. He knows how to compare track grade rigs well enough for our purposes here. IMHO
From where I sit, he is pretty much dead on. And he shows an interest and is familiar with Arrma products among other brands. That matters most in a fair evaluation.
My spin.

Edit: I could see a Netcruzer video, throwing down a TLRT. He is not bashful running stuff like this with stiff competition at the track. Drives decent also no matter he drives.

Last edited:
Drake is a nitro guy FWIW. And much can be learned from him as far as tuning goes. Both Chassis and engines.
The TLRT is just not and never will be any track contender at the pro level. Ryan runs comp rigs exclusively also. He has a few bashers. Just not spoken about much. These 2 guys are Race bred . Ryan being more the club level guy and ends up at invitationals here and there along side pros.
I would be happy with a review by @razorrc. He knows how to compare track grade rigs well enough for our purposes here. IMHO
From where I sit, he is pretty much dead on. And he shows an interest and is familiar with Arrma products among other brands. That matters most in a fair evaluation.
My spin.
Ryan actually just did a review of the wltoys 😂 I know drake never would. I just want to see what it is capable in the right hand... like the stig driving a fiat lmaooooo

I saw that Ryan video. (y)

Covid slowed down much of his track videos???

Agree, we need to see the TLRT on a groomed track. And not alone practice running. Want to see it run with stiff competition. How well its tuned out the box and then tuned to the track , correct tires, gearing and all. How it fairs.:)
But most competition will have sensored dialed ESC's. Need the right electrics to make the TLRT shine on the track running 4s.
It would be a sin to run just OE Spektrum electrics in any TLRT Typhon. Just me.
There is NO Setup Sheet with this rig. That was wrong of Arrma to not create this. Someone Correct me if I am wrong.
Any real track kit always comes with one. Just the way it's done if you are legit.
The TLRT was probably designed dimensionally to fit within 1/8 buggy specs to be allowed in Sanctioned events. The rear wing is part of this. Appears to be a TLR parts bin wing. Hence the chassis size being more constrained etc.

Last edited:
Can I get a like on this post to show who plans on getting one along with a comment as to why choose this over a proven track car?

I’m planning on getting one. As to why - mostly because of parts compatibility with my other 6s vehicles and that I‘m only a racer in my head. There are no formal tracks around here let alone any group of people to run with and the only one place I have access to is a mountain bike track at a not-so-local community park that I can run on if there are no MTB’ers out. So a proven track car would just be wasted on me.

I have built an EB410 and there were certain aspects of racing buggies that annoyed the heck out of me - like having to learn all the different wheel offsets and which brand followed which offset. For someone that just wants to run casually on a dirt track, it was just a little to much for me to want to deal with. Anyways, I’ll get off my cranky-old-man soap box now.

I’m planning on getting one. As to why - mostly because of parts compatibility with my other 6s vehicles and that I‘m only a racer in my head. There are no formal tracks around here let alone any group of people to run with and the only one place I have access to is a mountain bike track at a not-so-local community park that I can run on if there are no MTB’ers out. So a proven track car would just be wasted on me.

I have built an EB410 and there were certain aspects of racing buggies that annoyed the heck out of me - like having to learn all the different wheel offsets and which brand followed which offset. For someone that just wants to run casually on a dirt track, it was just a little to much for me to want to deal with. Anyways, I’ll get off my cranky-old-man soap box now.
I think you are exactly who it is geared to. Someone wanting something different with adjustable aspects

The question for me is to ball or not. TLRT is a baller. PB's
The Tekno EB48 2.0 is not a baller. I like something different. Just me. Also disappointed TLRT was not in kit form. I expected too much.
I was never a fan of PB in years past. I kind of accepted it with the Arrma 6s line though. Being what it is. 6s rigs all drive like ballers. Similar feel to me.
Roll center at the front gets muddy with Ballers. I can notice this with bashing.

The question for me is to ball or not. TLRT is a baller. PB's
The Tekno EB48 2.0 is not a baller. I like something different. Just me. Also disappointed TLRT was not in kit form. I expected too much.
I was never a fan of PB in years past. I kind of accepted it with the Arrma 6s line though. Being what it is. 6s rigs all drive like ballers. Similar feel to me.
Roll center at the front gets muddy with Ballers. I can notice this with bashing.

I can tell a huge difference between my Hot Bodies D8T, Tekno ET48.3 and the Outcast when it comes to handling, the D8T and ET48.3 feel more they are on rails, the Outcast has a looser feel to it. I know it's not really a great comparison as the Outcast is a SWB, but even when I ran the D8T with the Vorza chassis and D8T a arms the D8T just had a more controlled feel to it.

Associated, mugen, xray all PBs. It’s the hot thing right now with the faster tracks, no?
Xray doesn't use pivot balls in their 1/8 truggy just the buggy for some reason. 🤔
XT8E. And check out that rear chassis brace, talk about beefcake.
XrayXT8EConversion-(1).jpg

XB8E.
cdcf31c00c27a985.jpg

Last edited:
I can tell a huge difference between my Hot Bodies D8T, Tekno ET48.3 and the Outcast when it comes to handling, the D8T and ET48.3 feel more they are on rails, the Outcast has a looser feel to it. I know it's not really a great comparison as the Outcast is a SWB, but even when I ran the D8T with the Vorza chassis and D8T a arms the D8T just had a more controlled feel to it.

Xray doesn't use pivot balls in their 1/8 truggy just the buggy for some reason. 🤔
XT8E.
View attachment 168787

XB8E.
View attachment 168789

I think Xray has the conversion option for both styles, they might be slowly going to C-hub front ends. Even the EX07 has C-hubs.

Arrma should sell conversions, at least for the short arm vehicles. let's face it It would sell :p

I think Xray has the conversion option for both styles, they might be slowly going to C-hub front ends. Even the EX07 has C-hubs.

Arrma should sell conversions, at least for the short arm vehicles. let's face it It would sell :p
Oh for sure it would. Look at the Hobao/Ofna Hyper 7, it came in a few different forms at one point, the standard and the PBS. Hell you can still buy the PBS conversion kit for it.

Can I get a like on this post to show who plans on getting one along with a comment as to why choose this over a proven track car?
Can't speak for anyone else but the fact that it's an Arrma platform with Losi upgrades intrigues me to want to try it. And I just saw a vid by a man named Jay Tee that was demoing it at the Horizon expo and it looked like it handled and jumped very well. I own a Kyosho buggy so I'm familiar with good design of a buggy. So I'd be willing to have fun with it!
My spin.

Edit: I could see a Netcruzer video, throwing down a TLRT. He is not bashful running stuff like this with stiff competition at the track. Drives decent also no matter he drives.
Drake could drive anything and make it ride like it's on rails. He could probably do it in his sleep. Give him an hour of prep and he makes it do things it wasn't supposed to. I don't think it's fair to compare to high-ticket buggies. It's meant for a certain market and if the person were to choose a club race it would do the trick in a pinch.

Last edited:
Can't speak for anyone else but the fact that it's an Arrma platform with Losi upgrades intrigues me to want to try it. And I just saw a vid by a man named Jay Tee that was demoing it at the Horizon expo and it looked like it handled and jumped very well. I own a Kyosho buggy so I'm familiar with good design of a buggy. So I'd be willing to have fun with it!

Drake could drive anything and make it ride like it's on rails. He could probably do it in his sleep. Give him an hour of prep and he makes it do things it wasn't supposed to. I don't think it's fair to compare to high-ticket buggies. It's meant for a certain market and if the person were to choose a club race it would do the trick in a pinch.
Jaytee is one of the Youtubers that gets a lot of new Horizon Hobby stuff to preview on his channel.

Jaytee is one of the Youtubers that gets a lot of new Horizon Hobby stuff to preview on his channel.
I just watched another video he made of him jumping this at the expo. He actually bought one and set it up and it was jumping really well. Looked like it will hold it's own..

Last edited:
It definitely has a lot of tunable suspension parts as any track car should. I really want to see it out in the real world in some real hands like ryan Harris or adam drake. Price point isn't terrible but in that same point there are many proven 1/8 kits in that same range. 1/8 tracks are extremely hard to find around here personally. I see it being a good stepping stone for someone getting into racing. I personally am the type of person that would just get the best kit I can find currently and not take the baby steps. I hope it proves me wrong and it turns out to be a leading contender. 🤞
Come to Toledo/TARCAR

Are they all year? Late fall and winter is very slow at work.
Yep they race Saturdays but are open every other day of the week as long as it’s not wet. Plenty of bashing space too. Right behind my house too

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back