Typhon Team Losi Racing Tuned Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaytee is one of the Youtubers that gets a lot of new Horizon Hobby stuff to preview on his channel.
^^^
Yes JT is a celeb in his own circles for sure.

Price aside, it is just not a kit. Only a kit can bring it to the next level for me. A full assembly manual.
The TLRT 38 page manual is different from all other Arrmas. With a RACE flair to it. So the Race marketting theme is clear. Standard Open diffs get filled with 2 grams of 7kcst. 4s lipo is Recommended. Is called "Race Ready". Yet with no Setup sheet. No starting point. Have to rely on the out the box setup. Whatever you get is your starting point. We all know the surprises we get out of the box with Arrmas. How they are built.
Just playing devils advocate. If anything, only someone with some degree of Track experience and building track rigs would easily understand setting this up. The tweaks are all there. Not much in the manual that will help a track newcomer. Not being the actual builder yourself puts one at a disadvantage
Im not a baller. I like camber links at the front. My MT410 and Noto. (same dimensions) drive so different in part because of this.

Last edited:
IMO, I think it'd be really cool if 1/8 scale tracks offered an Arrma TLRTyphon stock class. Some pretty basic rules: TLRT, 4S power, any electronics you want, can only change springs and oils.

Even better if HH offered a rental version -- something with electronics that a shop was not allowed to resell. A lot of tracks offer stock Slash 2WD trucks for rent, and this would help get people into racing 1/8.

I saw that Ryan video. (y)

Covid slowed down much of his track videos???

Agree, we need to see the TLRT on a groomed track. And not alone practice running. Want to see it run with stiff competition. How well its tuned out the box and then tuned to the track , correct tires, gearing and all. How it fairs.:)
But most competition will have sensored dialed ESC's. Need the right electrics to make the TLRT shine on the track running 4s.
It would be a sin to run just OE Spektrum electrics in any TLRT Typhon. Just me.
There is NO Setup Sheet with this rig. That was wrong of Arrma to not create this. Someone Correct me if I am wrong.
Any real track kit always comes with one. Just the way it's done if you are legit.
The TLRT was probably designed dimensionally to fit within 1/8 buggy specs to be allowed in Sanctioned events. The rear wing is part of this. Appears to be a TLR parts bin wing. Hence the chassis size being more constrained etc.
In the RCDriver Online video he showed a set up sheet included in the manual. Empty to copy it.

Yet with no Setup sheet. No starting point. Have to rely on the out the box setup. Whatever you get is your starting point. We all know the surprises we get out of the box with Arrmas. How they are built.
I don't think they supplied a stock setup sheet (its blank) but it is described in the manual, the stock settings are marked with dark background, either in the tables or in the photos themselves, I found all the settings except droop and rear camber.

I'm not so sure what's so "TLR" about this car.. the suspension inserts, the shock tower link/shock positions, even the wing, it's all Durango.

Have a look at these 6 years old video clips:
Wing is almost exactly the same:

Shock tower and rear suspension inserts

The front upper arm position inserts are also the same mold as the durango i believe (exact same markings on them:

Durango rear guards. Identical.(y)
I don't think they supplied a stock setup sheet (its blank) but it is described in the manual, the stock settings are marked with dark background, either in the tables or in the photos themselves, I found all the settings except droop and rear camber.
Is there a PDF blank for the setup sheet available? I think in the manual they indicate +/- 2 deg. for camber and toe. Your own taste.
I wonder if it is assembled to a different QC standard than the other Arrma 6s rigs.:unsure: Maybe asking for too much considering its pricepoint.
Do you really think the factory is filling 2.0 grams of diff oil for the diffs? Weighing it? :LOL:
I would have to treat the TLRT just like any new 6s rig out the box. Tear some of it down out the gate.
Dam its just not a kit.:( I am leaning more to a kit despite the extra coin.
On the fence still.
Help me out here.:D
Seems none of the TLRT parts are even available, with any price yet. So don't break these parts if you got one right now.

I think this light chassis woud be a nice option for any Typhon. As opposed to the TLRT.

https://m2cracing.net/arrma-on-road-234-model/459-m2c-3221-arrma-outcastnotoriuos-speed-chassis.html

Last edited:
I'm not so sure what's so "TLR" about this car.. the suspension inserts, the shock tower link/shock positions, even the wing, it's all Durango.

Have a look at these 6 years old video clips:
Wing is almost exactly the same:

Shock tower and rear suspension inserts

The front upper arm position inserts are also the same mold as the durango i believe (exact same markings on them:
TLR Tuned is strictly embellishing TLR heritige branding.
Absolutely NOTHING TLR about this Typhon. Its for the most part Durango if anything. Old Durango parts bin. Just no CVD center shafts. Disappointing.
I wonder why HH didn't choose the Durango name. I am sure it was considered at the Marketting meetings.:LOL:
Why not "Durango Tuned" or even Call it a Typhon "Durango Race Edition".
I know Durango is not familiar to many though. But did HH need to really use TLR to bolster this Typhon?

Last edited:
Can I get a like on this post to show who plans on getting one along with a comment as to why choose this over a proven track car?
I'm a newbie and the only cars I have at the moment are a V4 Talion that I've heavily modified, a Losi Tenacity DB Pro (just bought used 2 weeks ago from this forum) and a ground up Talion build I'm working on now. I use the Talion for street/parking lot bashing (no jumps) since I'm in the city (Philadelphia). I bought the Losi to kind of experiment with another brand.

The Typhon has always intrigued me since I've seen people use for so many different things (off and on road basher, track, speed runs etc.) I HATE Spektrum electronics so a roller for $420 sounds good to me. I pre-ordered the TLTR last week. Once my custom Talion build is done I plan on retiring my V4 Talion (can use it for parts) and taking the electronics (MMX8S and Hobbywing 1650KV) and putting them in the Typhon just for kicks. I'm gonna try the belted Katars on it too. Should be a screamer!!!

The custom Talion is my first time trying to build something and I love the experience. When its done I might feel ready to actually try a Tekno or other proven track racer since most of the good ones come as a kit you have to build. I need more experience building before I'd jump to one of those. This Typhon is right up my alley. I can learn more about buggy setups vs. truggy and not break the bank by using some parts I've already accumulated between my build and my other Talion.

Last edited:
I think you are exactly who it is geared to. Someone wanting something different with adjustable aspects
Agree, for someone bored with the lack of tuning ability with the standard 6s line. I am one for sure.
IMO, I think it'd be really cool if 1/8 scale tracks offered an Arrma TLRTyphon stock class. Some pretty basic rules: TLRT, 4S power, any electronics you want, can only change springs and oils.

Even better if HH offered a rental version -- something with electronics that a shop was not allowed to resell. A lot of tracks offer stock Slash 2WD trucks for rent, and this would help get people into racing 1/8.
I can't imagine renting a rig and breaking it. How do they make money that way?
A Slash 2WD is a cheap rig to begin with. I am sure it is seriously dialed slow. Makes sense. I am sure Traxxas had some input with track renting this rig?
2WD is a bear to drive around any track. For a novice. I can't Imagine a newcomer to the track trying it out, driving a Slash 2wd. But I heard of this also.

Last edited:
I'm a newbie and the only cars I have at the moment are a V4 Talion that I've heavily modified, a Losi Tenacity DB Pro (just bought used 2 weeks ago from this forum) and a ground up Talion build I'm working on now. I use the Talion for street/parking lot bashing (no jumps) since I'm in the city (Philadelphia). I bought the Losi to kind of experiment with another brand.

The Typhon has always intrigued me since I've seen people use for so many different things (off and on road basher, track, speed runs etc.) I HATE Spektrum electronics so a roller for $420 sounds good to me. I pre-ordered the TLTR last week. Once my custom Talion build is done I plan on retiring my V4 Talion (can use it for parts) and taking the electronics (MMX8S and Hobbywing 1650KV) and putting them in the Typhon just for kicks. I'm gonna try the belted Katars on it too. Should be a screamer!!!

The custom Talion is my first time trying to build something and I love the experience. When its done I might feel ready to actually try a Tekno or other proven track racer since most of the good ones come as a kit you have to build. I need more experience building before I'd jump to one of those. This Typhon is right up my alley. I can learn more about buggy setups vs. truggy and not break the bank by using some parts I've already accumulated between my build and my other Talion.
Just my 2 cents the MMX8S is way overkill for the TLRT, it weighs a little more than the Typhon 3s.

Just my 2 cents the MMX8S is way overkill for the TLRT, it weighs a little more than the Typhon 3s.
Yep a MAX8 would probably be a slightly overkill yet more reasonable choice.

The TLRT is a 4s rig. The power to weight ratio is proper Race Ready as a 1/8 track buggy. Racing this is limited to a 4s restriction at 1/8 tracks! Just the rule. The TLRT manual is clear on this. 4s gear is spelled out. No mention of 6s gear.
I would only set up my TLRT as a 4s rig. Sensored electrics. Me personally. Keep in a track config. Not as a basher or speed runner. Even though I may never race it. I have a Lim and Infr. already for speed running.
Many will speed run this rig with 6s/8s even I am sure. And many will bash it with 6s. How well the F/R Pill setup will hold to hard bashing running 6s+ is anyones guess. Taking bets not so well. :cool:

The TLRT is a 4s rig. The power to weight ratio is proper Race Ready as a 1/8 track buggy. Racing this is limited to a 4s restriction at 1/8 tracks! Just the rule. The TLRT manual is clear on this. 4s gear is spelled out. No mention of 6s gear.
I would only set up my TLRT as a 4s rig. Sensored electrics. Me personally. Keep in a track config. Not as a basher or speed runner. Even though I may never race it. I have a Lim and Infr. already for speed running.
Many will speed run this rig with 6s/8s even I am sure. And many will bash it with 6s. How well the F/R Pill setup will hold to hard bashing running 6s+ is anyones guess. Taking bets not so well. :cool:
As long as they use a quality plastic they should hold up pretty well. Remember the M2C hinge pin retainers for the 6s models use pills, but iirc they are Delrin.

Marketing is hell for this car.. They did add a nice chassis and the tuning, but to go all-in they should have also give it a light weight drivetrain, but then they couldnt write "6s" on the box, and it would look to some as "lesser" than the RTR version..

Another router they could have taken is to supply the 4s drivetrain parts (driveshafts axles and motor mount) as optional parts, but again, some would say why charge us more for 4s use.. when this should have been a 4s car from the start..

in a way what they choose to do (just use the 6s drivetrain and that's it) is the best option they could have choose. but for me it's a bummer we don't have lightweight parts to put on this car.

That's your main problem, a reasonable choice. Slap an MMX8S and an 800kV can and goooooo.

Unless you're racing I suppose.
Lol I own a few big block cans, but they might weigh as much as the roller 🤣🤘🏻

I know that my TA SCT shatters Pills often. So does my TC3. Just feel it can be a weak link if bashed hard with 6s+. But this normal in most pill setups.
Yea M2c uses POM/Delrin. (y)
If I could only get some TLRT Delrin 1.2 pistons for some of my 6s shocks. Wonder what Arrma will charge.:)

Marketing is hell for this car.. They did add a nice chassis and the tuning, but to go all-in they should have also give it a light weight drivetrain, but then they couldnt write "6s" on the box, and it would look to some as "lesser" than the RTR version..

Another router they could have taken is to supply the 4s drivetrain parts (driveshafts axles and motor mount) as optional parts, but again, some would say why charge us more for 4s use.. when this should have been a 4s car from the start..

in a way what they choose to do (just use the 6s drivetrain and that's it) is the best option they could have choose. but for me it's a bummer we don't have lightweight parts to put on this car.
Arrma never attatches any lipo designation on their boxing with their Rollers. Because there are no electrics. Do whatever you want ultimately with a roller.
Just the Manual explicitly states 4s gear. Why? Because it is designed for track use. No track will let you run more than 4s. And 4s is super plenty for any track. Any more and it is just not driveable. And not safe at a track.
I think many bashers feel racing 1/8 scale means 6s. Not. :rolleyes:
Practice laps at some 1/8 tracks with 6s may even get you booted. Playing Around like this at Sanctioned tracks will be uncool. IDK.
Yep a MAX8 would probably be a slightly overkill yet more reasonable choice.
Have to think a sensored combo.. HW XR8 or the Plus version. (4s) Maybe TA Black Box/Reedy powered, or Tekin track gear
Keep it all track spec. If you want to experience a race spec rig. Close to Durango quality of years past.
No OE electrics either. A waste IMHO. For off road use at least. Even Bashing it. Other wise to me it is just another Typhon.
For speed running, well, thats another conversation.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xerun-xr8-pro-brushless-esc-g3-motor-combo-2200kv-hwa38020428/p-qqqetswqbcqeqctz?msclkid=f184bf2763c8168663aede18f954ade9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Shopping PLA - INSTOCK -Desktop - Non-Brand&utm_term=4585513247924244&utm_content=Cars & Trucks

https://www.associatedelectrics.com...r_competition_1_8_sensored_esc_w_programmer2/

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back