Typhon Team Losi Racing Tuned Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not only the pills themselves are weaker, also there's less material on the suspension blocks themselves, and i seen them break on racing kits (and never on my arrmas)
The suspension blocks are 7075 on the TLRT, the stock Arrma ones are paper thin 6065 and plastic. I see these new ones holding up a lot better than the stock ones and I don't recall them being a weak point on the Team Durango either. I broke the stock Arrma ones all of the time, as have many others. If they weren't a weak point M2C would have never made their optional ones.

Not only the pills themselves are weaker, also there's less material on the suspension blocks themselves, and i seen them break on racing kits (and never on my arrmas)
What I am saying also. From experience. I am sure if run on 4s and not bashing it. Less of an issue.
Talking not so much the 7075 T6 mounts but the Pills themselves. The Pills will either shatter or H. pins will push through them. Been there. We don't know the quality and material of the Pills. Probably standard fair Armma. Doubt they will even be composite. Hope I am wrong. Time will tell. Delrin variants hopefully show up down the road.
All because it is NOT a basher to begin with. Everyone is losing site of this here.

Last edited:
Arrma never attatches any lipo designation on their boxing with their Rollers. Because there are no electrics. Do whatever you want ultimately with a roller.
Yeah you're right, i remember a youtuber said it says "6s" on the box, but i cannot see it now

Have to think a sensored combo.. HW XR8 or the Plus version. (4s)
I'm running the XR8 pro on my Typhon, it's extremely smooth.

Have to think a sensored combo.. HW XR8 or the Plus version. (4s) Maybe TA Black Box/Reedy powered, or Tekin track gear
Keep it all track spec. If you want to experience a race spec rig. Close to Durango quality of years past.
No OE electrics either. A waste IMHO. For off road use at least. Even Bashing it. Other wise to me it is just another Typhon.
For speed running, well, thats another conversation.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywing-xerun-xr8-pro-brushless-esc-g3-motor-combo-2200kv-hwa38020428/p-qqqetswqbcqeqctz?msclkid=f184bf2763c8168663aede18f954ade9&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=AH - Shopping PLA - INSTOCK -Desktop - Non-Brand&utm_term=4585513247924244&utm_content=Cars & Trucks

https://www.associatedelectrics.com...r_competition_1_8_sensored_esc_w_programmer2/

That's what I'm thinking - maybe the XR8SCT along with either the 1900 or 2200 kv 4268 combo to be cheap or splurge for the XR8Pro combo.

That's what I'm thinking - maybe the XR8SCT along with either the 1900 or 2200 kv 4268 combo to be cheap or splurge for the XR8Pro combo.
I was thinking buying a Mamba X and using this 1512 2650kv motor I have laying around.
20210713_124439.jpg
20210713_124428.jpg

Just my 2 cents the MMX8S is way overkill for the TLRT, it weighs a little more than the Typhon 3s.
Would a plain Mamba X be better? They're a little smaller. I would use the MMX8S cause that's what I've got already...save a few coins on buying something else new. Any other ESCs I should take a look at...other than Spektrum? I've lost all respect for Spektrum. Hell I might even throw the BLX185 that came stock on my V4 Talion in there. Would that be a better fit? All opinions are most definitely welcome

Sensored all the way, at least in keeping with a legit race rig objective.
Spektrum doesn't do sensored.

Would a plain Mamba X be better? They're a little smaller. I would use the MMX8S cause that's what I've got already...save a few coins on buying something else new. Any other ESCs I should take a look at...other than Spektrum? I've lost all respect for Spektrum. Hell I might even throw the BLX185 that came stock on my V4 Talion in there. Would that be a better fit? All opinions are most definitely welcome
If that's what you have on hand and want to save money then by all means use it, I was just saying that it's a bit overkill is all. I think the Mamba X is a perfect esc if you want to go with Castle.

Still wont stand a chance against a Tekno on a track. For track use the typhon 6s is trash. I don't see how this is any better being "TLR" tuned

Still wont stand a chance against a Tekno on a track. For track use the typhon 6s is trash. I don't see how this is any better being "TLR" tuned
The Typhon 6s is "trash" because there is no way to tune it, it is factory set up for bashing not running a track. The TRLT is tuned for running on a track, but I will agree that in the hands of a good driver the Tekno will be faster. A bad driver it won't matter.

The Typhon 6s is "trash" because there is no way to tune it, it is factory set up for bashing not running a track. The TRLT is tuned for running on a track, but I will agree that in the hands of a good driver the Tekno will be faster. A bad driver it won't matter.
Totally right I was just using it as a comparison. Ive given my friend whos a way better driver than me my typhon and he gave me his tekno for a few flaps man it still stood no chance lol. I do see why they did it since the team Durango cars from back in the day but I don't see it being competitive in real racing yet.

Totally right I was just using it as a comparison. Ive given my friend whos a way better driver than me my typhon and he gave me his tekno for a few flaps man it still stood no chance lol. I do see why they did it since the team Durango cars from back in the day but I don't see it being competitive in real racing yet.
I see it as more of a stepping stone to get people into racing. I mean as it stands the TLRT is the cheapest race kit available on the market. You get enough people running them you could make a separate class for them.

Mine should be here on Saturday - but it'll be awhile before it's put together.

Right now I'm looking at my ESC/Motor options:

Hobbywing XR8 SCT + 4268 1900kv (or 4268 2200kv or 4274 2250 kV)
Hobbywing XR8 Pro + 4268 1900kv (or 4268 2200kv or 4274 2250 kV)
Castle Mamba Monster X + 1515-2200kv combo

My goal is to keep this a light(er)-weight 4S setup - but I'm kind of learning this stuff on the fly - seeing what people are putting in their EB48 setups.

I just received shipping notice from RPPHOBBY 😀
Sweet u located in the lower 48?
Mine should be here on Saturday - but it'll be awhile before it's put together.

Right now I'm looking at my ESC/Motor options:

Hobbywing XR8 SCT + 4268 1900kv (or 4268 2200kv or 4274 2250 kV)
Hobbywing XR8 Pro + 4268 1900kv (or 4268 2200kv or 4274 2250 kV)
Castle Mamba Monster X + 1515-2200kv combo

My goal is to keep this a light(er)-weight 4S setup - but I'm kind of learning this stuff on the fly - seeing what people are putting in their EB48 setups.
Same here I'll probably throw one my extra stock 6s ESC and motor till I pull the trigger on a sensored system. I'll probably go with the xr8 pro.

If that's what you have on hand and want to save money then by all means use it, I was just saying that it's a bit overkill is all. I think the Mamba X is a perfect esc if you want to go with Castle.
I know Castle sells the MX with the 1515 motor, but it is a really tiny ESC - smaller than my GoolRC 80a, and much smaller than my BLX185. I run my MX in my Granite with a 3660 and it feels like a good fit. My Typhon and Outcast have MMX - they are closer in size to a BLX185 / TS150 / Tekin RX8
If I was one of the "Fast guys", yeah, I would not want it. But for a less competitive local track, or someone like me that is fine with racing only a few times per year, then the TLRT is a great option. The basic platform is still a few years old, but really that won't matter till you are very consistently fast.

Last edited:
Wait I thought they were $429.99.
I know Castle sells the MX with the 1515 motor, but it is a really tiny ESC - smaller than my GoolRC 80a, and much smaller than my BLX185. I run my MX in my Granite with a 3660 and it feels like a good fit. My Typhon and Outcast have MMX - they are closer in size to a BLX185 / TS150 / Tekin RX8

If I was one of the "Fast guys", yeah, I would not want it. But for a less competitive local track, or someone like me that is fine with racing only a few times per year, then the TLRT is a great option. The basic platform is still a few years old, but really that won't matter till you are very consistently fast.
The TLRT is well within the spec limits of the MX. IIRC the MX is 9lbs limit and the TLRT is only like 6.5 lbs.

Well, I decided to go with a different "bashable" 1/8 race buggy that I think should be better overall for bashing and/or racing. TLRT I'm sure is fine for its intended audience, but I think there are other choices out there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back