Outcast Tekno Spring Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warbux

Reaction score
Orange is the strongest
Yellow is second strongest
Green is third strongest
Pink is fourth strongest

Right now my shock colar is adjusted all the way down on the front and the rears are about 3/4 of the way down. The only problem is my ride height in the back is almost lower then the front...

Should i put a stronger shock on the front so i can adjust the shock colars higher on the front making it ride lower? I was thinking maybe yellow on front and green on rear. Any help is welcome

Hi,

Have you seen this video?

He's put in orange (stiffest) of the Tekno MT410 springs.
Think thats Billy Kelley's vid. I asked him if he liked them and he said yes, but he's getting lots of snow and hasn't dry weather bashed them enough yet. I bought some too, sitting in garage, going to try in the next few days when storm passes.

I'm thinking of some new springs too.

But not sure what I want to achieve, or how to achieve it.

Do I want longer springs with the same/similar compression rate to the ARRMA OOTB setup, or do I want stiffer springs?

Apart from buying all 4 variants and trialling it.

The Tekno MT410 comes with the softest TKR608/91 springs, which is the closest compression rate to the ARRMA Outcast stock spring setup, albeit longer (80mm vs 75mm & 90mm vs 84mm)

Last edited:

Do I want longer springs with the same/similar compression rate to the ARRMA OOTB setup, or do I want stiffer springs?

The Tekno MT410 comes with the softest TKR608/91 springs, which is the closest compression rate to the ARRMA Outcast stock spring setup, albeit longer (80mm vs 75mm & 90mm vs 84mm)
Sometimes it's trial and error, I'm trying stiffer because I bash hard on 6s, like big jumping, and getting tired of front roll overs with hard braking. Hoping to take some nose dip and tail drop away by going stiffer. Rig has too much front to back dipping I think. May need to go up in oil for proper dampening too. I'll try them out soon and get back to you. Too stiff isn't good either, rig gets overly bouncy, rides too rough. Going to experiment some.

Great thread! I'm leaning towards these after my first pack today. Not that it desperately needs the change, but I think it would be even nicer. :)

I'm blown away. I have a Senton, Typhon, Kraton, Slash 4x4, Tekno ET48.3... And I had and sold in the past an E-Revo (heavily modded), Merv, Stampede... I think I enjoy the way this Outcast drives more then all of them. Right out of the box!

Thinking about going yellow on all four corners, as I will be using 1200cst oil in the dampers so that in combo with the orange might be too stiff?

Last edited:
SpringChart3.jpg
Thinking about upgrading to Tekno springs as well. Can someone hyperlink where I can find them in the sizes tktran303 noted above (Front -85mm and Rear-90mm)?
In looking at their website, all the springs I can find are much shorter in length...the chart they provide as shown above seems to suggest fronts at 70mm and rears at 85mm
Buck TKR6083 rear 90mm, TKR6093 front 80mm, Orange rated, running on Outcast and digging them. Put on Kraton also just before sunset, got to bash spot with son, brought wrong controller!!! Duhhhhh.... Yes I followed my 11y/o boy's advice and labeled them, sticker thing mixed up with Outcast controller, never again, not the first time, definitely the last.

Thanks Rich, I found the correct chart after my post which I just edited...I see the correct ones under the Truggy chart.
Thinking yellow, but you are recommending the orange huh?
Where can I pick these up?

Thanks Rich, I found the correct chart after my post which I just edited...I see the correct ones under the Truggy chart.
I just ordered mine off Tower Hobbies cuz I needed other parts to Truggify my son's Typhon. Turned it into a fast bashing Beast. I like Orange for sure, big improvement on Outcast and certain it will work great on Kraton too, testing them tomorrow. I posted a vid in media if you want to see them in action being pushed hard on 6s and ramp launched.

Cool, I will check the vid!
Are you running stock oil in your dampers?
I am at the moment cuz I don't even have 10 packs in yet I think. Did buy 60 and 70 to try out, need to bash more first and have been busy modding and fixing other rigs, been breaking gears lately, but fairly extreme Bashing with kids with a few mishaps...Lol.

Yup, I see that...saw the vid with you and your daughter from a few weeks back also.
This last vid with your son...I can't be certain but I'm almost positive I heard the Kraton cry out for help a few times as your son repeatedly launched it off the ramp and landed(?) it every which way but on all fours, lol
Good thing Arrma's are tough and you are a patient Father!

Yup, I see that...saw the vid with you and your daughter from a few weeks back also.
This last vid with your son...I can't be certain but I'm almost positive I heard the Kraton cry out for help a few times as your son repeatedly launched it off the ramp and landed(?) it every which way but on all fours, lol
Good thing Arrma's are tough and you are a patient Father!
Thanks Buck. It does pain me to see the carnage unfold, but my hope is the kids have fun, want to bash RC more, and hopefully become more skilled with time and drive these beasts to their reasonable potential. Anything to get them outdoors and off screen based electronics!

Hey Buck, do you have a LHS in the area? I've found that with the current exchange rates you can typically get things a bit cheaper from them than ordering through Tower here in Canada. That being said, Tower is great for larger orders and one stop parts shopping when you can make use of the coupons and I do order through them for convenience and delivery to the door within a few days. If you haven't used them before, you can use the exchange option in the tower cart and get estimated shipping rates in CDN$ to give you an idea what you're looking at total to your door. I also have a couple LHS in my area that have great websites and will typically have free shipping for orders over a certain $ limit.

BTW, I also ordered the orange for my Outcast based on review of a few different forums and youtube videos and the one Rich posted as the bashing he does with his kids matches what I typically do. I find the stock too soft and prefer a firmer spring on all my RC's for ramp jumping and the park areas I typically run at.

Thanks Outcaster, I do have a few LHS's that I can consult with to see if they can get the springs.
If I order them off Tekno directly, it is $60 or more in CAD all said and done.
The only thing I am wondering is if the orange's might be too stiff as I will be changing the damping oil to 1300cst front and rear.

Buck, regarding the springs, I think it's one of those experiments where you change one variable at a time and see what happens. Other variables include running surface (soft to firm, loose or packed), total weight of car (eg. battery(s) weight), tyre pressure (eg. I sealed up my vent holes to prevent water ingress, and how much power to your car 4S/6S, pinion size...

I took it out for a 2nd run today. So far I've run on grass, gravel, and pebbles. The front suspension soaks up lumps and bumps very nicely, but on firm surfaces, during rapid acceleration the back of the vehicle droops, and stays downwards. Under rapid braking the opposite happens- the front droops downwards. All this on 3S/60C, punch setting 1 and factory defaults everything else.

So I think there's room to get much stiffer springs.

I plan to go with the stiffest Tekno (orange) ones, then find switch a happen medium if necessary.
Or you could go slightly stiffer and realise you need more stiffness on a different setup. I don't think there's a wrong way to do it.

If you look at the maintenance schedule, there's several things to attend to after 10 runs, then again st 20 runs. So I think it's a good idea to run it stock for the first 10 packs
a) to get a feel for it
b) to get some use of out of what you paid for
Unless you got loads of spare parts laying around, its unncesssary to drain/change (wasting) diff oil, shock oil, tyres, springs, ESC, motor, body etc before the first run.

More experienced drivers can see improvements, but to this newbie, As an RTR, stock, it drives, and brakes well, steers well, and can run on many surfaces. My main problem is that it's too big/powerful for a small yard.

Last edited:
All good points for sure.
I just enjoy tinkering to be honest...and with the weather the way it is here right now I am not sure how many opportunities I'll have to run her in the coming weeks.
So...I figured what better way to become familiar with the truck than to do some basic mods/tear-downs.
From all that I have read and seen, the suspension certainly seems to do well with a higher spring rate and firmer damping.
I really want to be able to pull some wheelies on 4S... which seems difficult to do on the 12T pinion with the stock 100K cst center diff oil.
All that said, I see the merit in your suggestion to run stock and get a feel which I may do to get some baseline impressions.

I bought the Tekno springs, not the best choice, their same size as the short Kraton springs, not a lot more damping either. For $30, I would find other springs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back