Textured paint on the exterior of the body

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garemlin

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So I plan on getting the 2021 Bronco body for my Granite. I already have a plan for the paint scheme but I did have a question. I've seen some videos of painting where they trim the protective film to apply a matte clearcoat to the outside. Well the real Bronco top is actually not painted, but is molded in color so it is textured. I was thinking it would be cool to replicate that. Would there be any issue in using a textured paint to the exterior of the Proline body?? Something like Krylon's textured all-in-one??? It says adheres to plastic, laminate, wood, metal, and masonry. But nothing specific about lexan. Anyone know how well this would hold up on lexan??? Would it eventually chip and scratch?? Or crack due to body flexing???

Crawler bodies are typically a lot thicker than others, so they don’t flex nearly as much. That’s why you need polycarbonate paint for the others, because the paint can flex with the body. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use Krylon on a crawler body, but it will scratch of course If it’s applied to the exterior of the body.

Crawler bodies are typically a lot thicker than others, so they don’t flex nearly as much. That’s why you need polycarbonate paint for the others, because the paint can flex with the body. I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use Krylon on a crawler body, but it will scratch of course If it’s applied to the exterior of the body.

This isn't meant to be a crawler. If that makes a difference. Is there any kind of textured paint that would be more resistant to scratches?? Or anything to apply as a primer that would help it adhere better??? I've seen people using rattle can bed liner or even Flex Seal. Not sure how I feel about either of those.

No. It's got nothing to do with being a "crawler body" or not. Some crawlers use ABS hard bodies because they typically don't see much abuse...these can be painted with anything. However, any lexan or poly body needs poly paint, including the Proline body OP is asking about, which is a standard, clear lexan body.

So I plan on getting the 2021 Bronco body for my Granite. I already have a plan for the paint scheme but I did have a question. I've seen some videos of painting where they trim the protective film to apply a matte clearcoat to the outside. Well the real Bronco top is actually not painted, but is molded in color so it is textured. I was thinking it would be cool to replicate that. Would there be any issue in using a textured paint to the exterior of the Proline body?? Something like Krylon's textured all-in-one??? It says adheres to plastic, laminate, wood, metal, and masonry. But nothing specific about lexan. Anyone know how well this would hold up on lexan??? Would it eventually chip and scratch?? Or crack due to body flexing???

Anything other than Polycarbonate paint will flake. I've had decent luck with Duracoat "BadAss" paint, but it still doesn't hold up too well to bashing.

Anything other than Polycarbonate paint will flake. I've had decent luck with Duracoat "BadAss" paint, but it still doesn't hold up too well to bashing.

Well I guess the upside is it would be on the exterior so it would be easily touched up if needed.
Maybe a good coat of matte under whatever I decided to use would show scratches and chips a little less.

This isn't meant to be a crawler. If that makes a difference. Is there any kind of textured paint that would be more resistant to scratches?? Or anything to apply as a primer that would help it adhere better??? I've seen people using rattle can bed liner or even Flex Seal. Not sure how I feel about either of those.
Anything on the outside would scratch no matter what.
No. It's got nothing to do with being a "crawler body" or not. Some crawlers use ABS hard bodies because they typically don't see much abuse...these can be painted with anything. However, any lexan or poly body needs poly paint, including the Proline body OP is asking about, which is a standard, clear lexan body.

I disagree. I’ve seen lots of very thick polycarbonate crawler bodies. A lot of the scale guys paint them on the outside as well as the inside so they can get the scale details they want and it doesn’t look too bad when they get scratched up. And then there are the ABS bodies, which can be painted with anything like you said.
When the OP said he was fitting a Bronco body I thought of the Traxxas one. Totally rigid. Never saw the Proline one, didn’t know they came out with one.
However, any lexan or poly body needs poly paint
Not if it’s thick it doesn’t. I’ve painted 1/4” lexan divider panels, exterior, that still look as good as the day I painted them almost five years ago. If it doesn’t flex, it doesn’t need poly paint. The only difference is that the poly paint is able to flex with the body. It has nothing to do with chemistry or adhesion. Any paint will stick to polycarbonate just fine, it will just flake off when it flexes.

Last edited:
When the OP said he was fitting a Bronco body I thought of the Traxxas one. Totally rigid. Never saw the Proline one, didn’t know they came out with one.

For the Traxxas Stampede and Arrma Granite and Vorteks.

1647100558953.png

For the Traxxas Stampede and Arrma Granite and Vorteks.

View attachment 205781
Very cool, I hadn’t seen it yet! I would recommend painting it in the inside with the proper paint. Then spray the roof texture on the outside if you want.

Very cool, I hadn’t seen it yet! I would recommend painting it in the inside with the proper paint. Then spray the roof texture on the outside if you want.

That was exactly the plan. Just wanted to see what would be best to get that textured look on the outside. But also what would hold up the best.

Last edited:
That was exactly the plan. Just wanted to see what would be best to get that textured look on the outside. But also what would hold up the best.
Wish I could help, but I’ve no experience with any textured paint.
Do you have a 1/1 Bronco? We’ve had one on order since last summer. Hoping to get a production date soon, but I don’t think Ford has sorted out the 4-door roof panels yet.

Wish I could help, but I’ve no experience with any textured paint.
Do you have a 1/1 Bronco? We’ve had one on order since last summer. Hoping to get a production date soon, but I don’t think Ford has sorted out the 4-door roof panels yet.

I have two on order. One is from a dealer that was selling below invoice and got a ton of orders. But ford screwed them on allocations. So it will be a few years for that one. So I ordered at a local Ford truck and fleet dealer. They didn't have many orders but a decent amount of allocations. I might get that one this year.

I up'd my order on the first one since it will be much cheaper. I'll drive the second one until that one comes in

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back