The biggest motor I can fit in arrma notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcoutlaw

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
my question is what is the largest diameter motor you can fit in a arrma notorious

I think some people on here have fitted 4985's.. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm this..??

I think some people on here have fitted 4985's.. I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm this..??
yeah that's exactly what I wanted to put in it the hobbywing 4985 1650kv motor thanks

I don't think that motor is a direct fit but I could be wrong. I do know that motors 90mm and longer will hit the side guard and possibly the rear a arm.

I don't think that motor is a direct fit but I could be wrong. I do know that motors 90mm and longer will hit the side guard and possibly the rear a arm.
Yeah a lot of people are running those hobbystar 4092 I was just wanting to go a different route try something new I'm not home to do the measurements right now but I found a really good deal on a hobbywing 4985 I think it is the length on that motor wouldn't be an issue but I know the girth would definitely be maybe

I've run the 4985 in the Outcast and fits with the new v4 motor mount but the previous gen motor mount has to be shimmed up about 2.5mm to clear the chassis. You'll have to trim a small amount of material off the plastic guard in the rear to make it clear.
IMG_9678.JPG
IMG_9714.JPG

If overkill is what you're after in the notorious the 4985 and a 22t will fit the bill, it isn't the biggest diameter motor you can run with the v4 mount though, now that Arrma sells the 50 series motor plate to fit the v4 mount. Biggest would probably be the HW 5687. 1150kv motor paired with a Max 6

IMG_0394.jpg

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...l/products/max6-combos?variant=18460731900019

I've run the 4985 in the Outcast and fits with the new v4 motor mount but the previous gen motor mount has to be shimmed up about 2.5mm to clear the chassis. You'll have to trim a small amount of material off the plastic guard in the rear to make it clear.
View attachment 42058View attachment 42059

If overkill is what you're after in the notorious the 4985 and a 22t will fit the bill, it isn't the biggest diameter motor you can run with the v4 mount though, now that Arrma sells the 50 series motor plate to fit the v4 mount. Biggest would probably be the HW 5687. 1150kv motor paired with a Max 6

View attachment 42060

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...l/products/max6-combos?variant=18460731900019
thank you so much for the great information that's exactly what I was looking for yeah I am wanting to run hobbywing 4985 1600 KV motor just want it to be matched up with the Max 6 Speed Controller I already have in it it would probably run great on for us but probably insane on 6 s

Hah, 6s. Comical! When you’re running a motor that big, unless you’re running 8s, there’s really no point over a 4092.

Hah, 6s. Comical! When you’re running a motor that big, unless you’re running 8s, there’s really no point over a 4092.
Fits better within the footprint of the chassis and offers better protection.
Runs cooler on 6s, plus...... emphasis added
Yeah a lot of people are running those hobbystar 4092 I was just wanting to go a different route try something new
I'm not home to do the measurements right now but I found a really good deal on a hobbywing 4985 I think it is the length on that motor wouldn't be an issue but I know the girth would definitely be maybe
^

Fits better within the footprint of the chassis and offers better protection.
Runs cooler on 6s, plus...... emphasis added

^
I was referring to the post above mine NOT the original thread starter. Wasn’t hating on anything, just telling him that 8s will be wild.

The 4985 is only rated for 6s but the 5687 on the other hand, would definitely be an animal on 8s. Gearing would be somewhat limited along with battery options within the dimensions of the stock battery tray but it's definitely doable

The 4985 is only rated for 6s but the 5687 on the other hand, would definitely be an animal on 8s. Gearing would be somewhat limited along with battery options within the dimensions of the stock battery tray but it's definitely doable
Psht rated shmated. I bet it’ll take 8s just fine! Then again, it’s not my motor ?? but if it can’t do 8s (which a castle 1717 can without issue) that’s not really a strongly built motor! But I guess that’s apples to oranges. Point is, stick to 6s if you care.

I think the 4985 will handle 8s as well...I just want to see someone else do it first :ROFLMAO:

I'm also curious how the Max6 would handle it, as it's above the rated kv threshold for what it can handle. I know ratings shmatings, but those two unanswered questions are holding me back from going 8s, as I've already got two 4s packs that will just barely fit in the battery tray stacked on top of one another

View attachment 42058View attachment 42059

View attachment 42060

what a hot racing motor mount work for that hobbywing 4985?
I think the 4985 will handle 8s as well...I just want to see someone else do it first :ROFLMAO:

I'm also curious how the Max6 would handle it, as it's above the rated kv threshold for what it can handle. I know ratings shmatings, but those two unanswered questions are holding me back from going 8s, as I've already got two 4s packs that will just barely fit in the battery tray stacked on top of one another
I'll give it a try one time just to see what it's like LOL

what a hot racing motor mount work for that hobbywing 4985?

I'll give it a try one time just to see what it's like LOL
I've never run the HR mount so I'm not sure. IMO the v4 and M2C mounts are the best out there. The only reason I'm still running the v3 mount is because it's the only one that doesn't interfere with how my fan mount attaches

If it’s above the maximum rpm all that’ll happen is it’ll act like there’s a rev limiter. Obviously temps will be a little higher but it’s not like it’ll go thermal nuclear. It’ll take a good 20 minutes for the esc to hit thermal shutdown.

How big does the motor have to be in order for it to be pointless running 6s in it over the 4092?

M2C is confirmed to work with the 4985 but with the Rocket 4585 it will need one bolt hole elongated .050”. I’m guessing that would be the case with the new Arrma mount as well.

If it’s above the maximum rpm all that’ll happen is it’ll act like there’s a rev limiter. Obviously temps will be a little higher but it’s not like it’ll go thermal nuclear. It’ll take a good 20 minutes for the esc to hit thermal shutdown.

I run the Max 6 with a 2140kv 4092 motor. I haven't noticed the Max 6 'rev limiting' it...

I run the Max 6 with a 2140kv 4092 motor. I haven't noticed the Max 6 'rev limiting' it...
Well, there’s a simple explanation for that. (I’m very rusty and my mind is filled with other stuff so I don’t remember the max6 specifications) I believe the 6s kv limit was like 2200? That said, you’re at 2140. 1 it’s too close to notice (and from what I remember brushless motors typically have an accuracy rating of 100 so that motor can be anything from 2240 to 1940kv. Even if t is 2140 on the dot, you’d barely notice. On top of that, you’ve probably never even ran that motor on an esc that is able to give it its full potential, so how would you know it’s not rev limiting it??

I’m grumpy. I’ll extend my break lol. Here to be constructive!! (Maybe I should make that my signature so people don’t get mad)

Happy radio controlling dude.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back