Limitless The danger of speedrunning, how i lost part of my toe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was amazed as well. I think having a wider road helps with a margin of error, but keeping the wheels down is hard for me with wind. Maybe my road really is hurting me with the tar stripes. I do have alternate roads nearby that I have been slowly trying out. Maybe it’s time to explore some more.
The tar strips are hurting you because of how firm your set ups are. I've found two roads near me that I can make good steady passes. Ditches on both sides for one (single two lane) and another thats got curbs but each lane is 1.5 wide. Both have no manhole covers and little or no bumps. The narrower road is now my go to because I can see perfectly from beginning to end over a distance that I'm hoping I never need to use. The wider road is nice because it's blocked better from cross winds, but if I run to far in one direction, the road dips away and your car ends up running through an intersection. Made my best passes on this road, but had a spotter for the day the Typhon made it to 116. That narrow road will be the only place I even make attempts with the new motor, as I expect I will need more breaking area where I can still see the car if the speeds get up over 120. Yes, I'm a little frightened.

The tar strips are hurting you because of how firm your set ups are. I've found two roads near me that I can make good steady passes. Ditches on both sides for one (single two lane) and another thats got curbs but each lane is 1.5 wide. Both have no manhole covers and little or no bumps. The narrower road is now my go to because I can see perfectly from beginning to end over a distance that I'm hoping I never need to use. The wider road is nice because it's blocked better from cross winds, but if I run to far in one direction, the road dips away and your car ends up running through an intersection. Made my best passes on this road, but had a spotter for the day the Typhon made it to 116. That narrow road will be the only place I even make attempts with the new motor, as I expect I will need more breaking area where I can still see the car if the speeds get up over 120. Yes, I'm a little frightened.
Another issue with my usual road is grip. It’s worn almost smooth. They just did a tar and chip application up the road and I fear that is what’s going to happen in the section I run on. Not 100% sure, but I feel like the surface is loose on that type of road. You can hear the rocks hitting your wheel wells as you drive over it in your real car.

I'm surprised that you keep so many of your runs as straight as you do considering how much sand is blowing over the roads where you run. Sorry to hear about the Infraction, but I know that you understand that's just one of the risks we take each time we go out and push the outer limits.
thank you, actually the car goes straight only once it goes fast when body aero starts to work, but in the beginning, if you will notice I always struggle to keep it straight coz the wheels have no traction at all.

To be honest, I know it's very bad to run with such weather conditions, it is always like here in the Middle East during summer plus 40 Celcius weather yet I just love playing RC, and yes sir you are correct that's the risk we always face.. just send it... send it hard :D
I was amazed as well. I think having a wider road helps with a margin of error, but keeping the wheels down is hard for me with wind. Maybe my road really is hurting me with the tar stripes. I do have alternate roads nearby that I have been slowly trying out. Maybe it’s time to explore some more.
Yes indeed, wider road help, my new road is 3 lanes more margin for error but still crashing once those wheels start to slide(whenever I squeeze too hard than my usual control) o_O

100% sir it's the road with these tar stripes, narrow and uneven. I remember i had a road where in the middle is elevated haha when the car goes on the right side it leans towards the right too much once it goes to the left side it leans towards the left side too much hahaha disaster.

Last edited:
So speedrunning has marked me for life, i lost part of my big toe.

Obviously there was a chain of events leading up to this horrible event.
Did some testing with my rebuilt rig on 6S, all was fine. Figured it was time to put it on the road with 8S, but blew a bearing at my rear diff. Quickly replaced it and rushed back to my spot. My country has it's euro cup opening game and i wanted to be back in time to watch it. A silly mistake made me lose my rear spolier but it still felt stable enough to do a quick benchmark/datalog run (so no full pull). Done this 100x times so i never expected this to happen:

An extreme adrenaline rush, made me pack up all my stuff, even had to move the car because a lose battery was stuck between the road and my front tire. I figured my foot was hurt but initially i was more concerned about the smashed battery pack. Drove home, put the battery pack at a safe place and rushed to the freezer to fetch some coolpacks.

Then I finally took of my shoe and saw the liveleak worthy blood and gore.(i wont show pictures) I ended up watching the game at the emergency room. My big toe took the full impact and was spliced in two horizontally. The top phalanx is completely shattered and the top part cut of (nail including tissue below) Today i had my first surgery where the cleaned up the wound and removed all shattered pieces. Now the tissue has to heal before reconstruction surgery can be done.
Ouch 😳 that sucks man. Glad the injuries weren't even worse.
Certainly not toys running at that speed. Maybe we should all be wearing toe protector boots and a hard hat just in case .
Should stand the other side of the car coming from that direction, and then swap ends coming back the other way I suppose. Was no time to react to move in time t that speed unfortunately.
Just hope they can save your toe to some extent.🤞

Status update:

I mentioned i was 'walking' after 3 weeks, that quickly ended when all other fractures where exposed on X-ray. Walking was a no-go and I spend a month on a wheel chair with a leg rest. (still use it a lot)

Wounds on the toe are basically closed. Only on top where the nail supposed to be is not entirely closed of by skin just yet.
Result a smaller, bone- and nail less toe. My right shoe size dropped from 11.5 to 10.

In the mean time enough of connective tissue has formed in my foot stabilizing the fractures. As of last week I am making 'baby' steps, short in-house walks. And spending time on the home trainer as i've lost a lot of leg muscle from not using it for such a long time.
My prediction is that it will take another 3-4 weeks before i completely regain 'regular usage' capability (walking/driving a car/ect...) and at least another month or so before it's painless and advanced usage like running/jumping become a possibility.

@rotauq I just noticed they are having a sale on speed running safety gear. 😜
hockey backflip GIF

Seriously, glad your healing up, sucks how long it takes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back