Talion The dreaded grub screw wheel hex removal process...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sledgehog

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
So I got some hot racing front steering blocks for my talion v3.
Down to the part where I need to remove the grub screws from inside the wheel hexes.
Wrench and mip driver were unsuccessful and I need to resort to the heat method.

I know there's other threads about this but none of them I saw shows or explains exactly how to heat this particular screw inside the hub. Isn't the black surrounding it all plastic inside the red metal hex? It's hard to tell, and how do you heat the grub screw without melting all that plastic around it?

PXL_20201018_184332037.jpg

So I got some hot racing front steering blocks for my talion v3.
Down to the part where I need to remove the grub screws from inside the wheel hexes.
Wrench and mip driver were unsuccessful and I need to resort to the heat method.

I know there's other threads about this but none of them I saw shows or explains exactly how to heat this particular screw inside the hub. Isn't the black surrounding it all plastic inside the red metal hex? It's hard to tell, and how do you heat the grub screw without melting all that plastic around it?

View attachment 105191

This video might help.

I use a small torch, flame directed directly at the grub screw for as long as needed. Should do the trick without damaging surrounding plastic.
You can start with 10s, try the MIP, 20s and so on.

The axle stub is inside the metal hex - so you should be fine heating with a torch. I use a small butane torch but you can also use one of those butane aim-n-flames as well. I just heat the grub screw for 20-30 seconds and usually that's enough to break down the Loctite. I don't bother heating the hex, like in the video because then you have to wait for all that heat to transfer inside. The torch flame has a small enough tip that I can direct it on the grub screw.

Thanks. I'll let yas know how it goes. And yes Bickety... I forgot to clean out the grub screw :ROFLMAO: :p
Got some lights in the stock body today though :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-231243.png
    Screenshot_20201018-231243.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back