Notorious The Glorious Notorious V5 Build and upgrade thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Custnam

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
After watching a few videos and doing some research I decided I wanted to get one of the new Notorious V5. Before I ordered it I already had a pretty good idea of what parts and upgrades I had planned. Mainly I was going to be stripping a lot of the upgrades from my V4 Kraton, then buying a few more. So after removing some of the upgrades from the Kraton and ordering several more heres my initial list:

• Flysky FS-GT5 radio and FS-BS6 receiver
  • DS3225 25kg servo
  • Dual Motor fan with aluminum heatsink and dual Hobbystar motors
  • Hot Racing Fixed steering link AON48SH25
  • Hot Racing Servo Mount AON24M02
  • Hot Racing Center Diff Mount ANN38A02 and Upper Cover ANN38C01
  • Hot Racing Diff carrier cups X 3 AON11E02
  • Front Aluminum EXB Chassis Brace 98mm ARA320564
  • Rear Aluminum EXB Chassis Brace 87mm ARA320566
  • GPM Red Aluminum suspension pin mounts and front upper rear bulk mount (5 parts)
  • Red Aluminum EXB chassis spacers ARA320569
  • Tekno shock ends and balls. TKR6140C and TKR5049A
  • Dusty Motors Shock Covers BLACK-1-16-1-8-SHOCK-ABSORBERS
  • T-Bone Racing rear bumper (For Typhon part # 10006)
  • RPM Front Bumper (required some modding to fit) RPM 81472
  • Arrma EXB Front basher Bumper ARA320573 (Ordered this as well since its designed for the V5 chassis). Will compare to RPM
  • RPM A-Arms (Didnt use these, see post below as to why) RPM 81482 and RPM 81402
  • RPM Wing Mounts RPM 81642
  • RPM Rear Skid Plate RPM 81442
  • Bellcrank bearings
  • Chassis Protector (Black with red Monster logo)
  • 14T Pinion HD Mod1 Safe-D5 ARA310961
  • Body Mods (Have new LED's front and rear, and will be reinforcing with shoegoo and tape)

Day 1:

As detailed extensively in this thread here I had decided to buy a V5 Notorious and ordered it from Tower Hobbies and Fed Ex delivered it with some pretty bad box damage. So one of the first things I did was disassemble the whole thing and inspect it. Everything looked good except for a small scratch on the under side of the chassis. It wasnt bad enough to worry about it, and I had always planned on using a custom skin cover on the bottom which was designed for the V4 chassis so it required some modding. I had to make new holes for the screws that mount to the new receiver tray set up. Also since the V5 chassis is wider in the rear there are a couple spots not covered. You can see this in the chassis protector picture below. I was able to get this installed pretty well considering its not updated for the new V5 chassis, and its about 95% protected for now.

I also inspected the diffs and as usual the fluids were a bit low and thin. So I reassembled them with the Hot Racing carrier cups and used 60k front, 500k center, and 30k rear. So all 3 diffs are ready to go. After this I started to reassemble things. I started with the rear end and got the diff, diff case, and the rest all together. As listed above I had planned on using all RPM arms. But I noticed that the rear A-arms lower shock and sway bar mount holes don't line up with the RPM ones. So I decided to just stick with the stock ones for now. I could have made them work but decided to just wait until they either break, or RPM releases updates V5 compatible parts. The front ones look like they would have worked but I didnt use them yet.

The RPM front and T-Bone Rear bumpers both required some dremeling so they would sit flush. The new V5 has different wider bumps for the diffs and there arent any updated parts for this. So I just dremeled the spaces wider which worked. See pic for that as well. I haven't installed these yet but it looks like they will both fit fine now. I finished Day 1 by installing the front and rear diffs, A-Arms, steering linkage, and front EXB chassis brace.

UPDATE: I decided to order the Arrma Basher bumper (ARA320573) designed for the V5 chassis. Ill be installing this and seeing how it compares to the RPM bumper.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg

Last edited:
Day 2:

For Day 2 I started with the shocks. I installed the Tekno ends and balls. Then dumped the stock fluids and filled with fresh Team Factory 80wt. I then installed the Dusty Motors shock covers. I installed the ESC and love that the new ESC has an extension from the fans power to connect to the dual motor fan. This eliminates a lot of the wiring I had to do with the V4. Next was installing the receiver box/ battery tray, HR center diff mounts and center diff, HR servo mount and the DS3225 servo with the HR steering link. Just like before this sits a bit higher so I had to use some plastic spacers and a longer screw to attach to the bellcrank. I installed the 14T D5 pinion and the dual motor fan onto the motor. Then the RPM wing mounts, wheelie bar with new bearings in wheels, and rear EXB chassis brace. I then installed the motor wiring the dual fan to the ESC's extension wire. Then bundled all the wires up and heat shrinked them. So as of the end of Day 2 I am about 80% done. Just need to install a few more things and then start with the body reinforcing, LEDs, and a new power wire to the receiver for the LEDs.

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

Day 3:

For Day 3 the first thing I started on was getting the battery plug situated in a way that wouldnt get in the way of the steering linkage. With the additional cap pack it makes it a bit harder to run the ESC wires. Normally with the BLX185 I just cut the dual wire set up to run just one lead since I only have single 6s packs. But with this I decided to keep it stock for now. Maybe after a few runs Ill solder it into one single lead. But for now its staying stock. So I ran it under the center brace and used several zip ties and some heat shrink and it came out perfect. Next was installing the shocks which was straight forward since I had already got them ready the previous day so not much to say here.

Next was the RPM front bumper and the T-Bone rear bumper with RPM rear skid. I had to do some more dremeling to get these to lay flush due to the V5 chassis bump differences. But was able to get them on and flat. Hopefully RPM and T-Bone updates their products for the new chassis design, but for now its protected.

I then installed the side guards and dirt guards. I ran into small issue where the steering linkage rubbed on the dirt guards since the Hot Racing servo mount and the DS3225 servo makes the servo sit higher. This was easily solved by dremeling a small notch for the link to pass through.

Since I plan on running an all new LED set up for this I made a power lead for the LED's and ran it into the receiver. I have the LED's all set up. The new ones I am running have dual light fronts with halo and regular bright lights combined into one with a switch. So I created a splitter and combined the fronts and rears into one lead that I can separate when removing the body just like my past set ups. Installing the LED's into the body is my project for tomorrow.

Last thing I did was calibrate the ESC to the new Flysky radio. The new Spektrum ESC is a bit different in how you go through the settings. But once I figured it out it was very easy. I really like that its has several more settings options then the BLX185. Next I set up all my steering and end points then tested the steering and ESC. All seems perfect. So the Glorious Notorious is almost done. One more day and it should be good to go. Heres some pics of Day 3.

19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg
30.jpg
31.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3:

For Day 3 the first thing I started on was getting the battery plug situated in a way that wouldnt get in the way of the steering linkage. With the additional cap pack it makes it a bit harder to run the ESC wires. Normally with the BLX185 I just cut the dual wire set up to run just one lead since I only have single 6s packs. But with this I decided to keep it stock for now. Maybe after a few runs Ill solder it into one single lead. But for now its staying stock. So I ran it under the center brace and used several zip ties and some heat shrink and it came out perfect. Next was installing the shocks which was straight forward since I had already got them ready the previous day so not much to say here.

Next was the RPM front bumper and the T-Bone rear bumper with RPM rear skid. I had to do some more dremeling to get these to lay flush due to the V5 chassis bump differences. But was able to get them on and flat. Hopefully RPM and T-Bone updates their products for the new chassis design, but for now its protected.

I then installed the side guards and dirt guards. I ran into small issue where the steering linkage rubbed on the dirt guards since the Hot Racing servo mount and the DS3225 servo makes the servo sit higher. This was easily solved by dremeling a small notch for the link to pass through.

Since I plan on running an all new LED set up for this I made a power lead for the LED's and ran it into the receiver. I have the LED's all set up. The new ones I am running have dual light fronts with halo and regular bright lights combined into one with a switch. So I created a splitter and combined the fronts and rears into one lead that I can separate when removing the body just like my past set ups. Installing the LED's into the body is my project for tomorrow.

Last thing I did was calibrate the ESC to the new Flysky radio. The new Spektrum ESC is a bit different in how you go through the settings. But once I figured it out it was very easy. I really like that its has several more settings options then the BLX185. Next I set up all my steering and end points then tested the steering and ESC. All seems perfect. So the Glorious Notorious is almost done. One more day and it should be good to go. Heres some pics of Day 3.

View attachment 114071View attachment 114074View attachment 114076View attachment 114077View attachment 114078View attachment 114079View attachment 114080View attachment 114081View attachment 114082View attachment 114083View attachment 114084View attachment 114085View attachment 114086
Hmm, how many of the upgrades would you say are nessceary? For mine, I just purchased the Servo Mount, Heatsink, and rpm rear skid.

Hmm, how many of the upgrades would you say are nessceary? For mine, I just purchased the Servo Mount, Heatsink, and rpm rear skid.
For me I love upgrading even parts that would probably be OK. Its all part of the hobby for me. I sent an email to RPM to ask if they were aware of the V5 chassis and rear A-Arms differences and if they had plans on updating those parts. Ill contacted T-Bone also.

Last edited:
RPM responded to my question about V5 updates. Heres what they said :

We are aware that several of our 6S parts are no longer compatible with V5 or EXB versions of the Kraton. However, we do not presently have plans for newer version RPM parts that will fit the V5 & EXB just yet. I apologize for the bad news. We may work on replacements early next year.

Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.

RPM responded to my question about V5 updates. Heres what they said :

We are aware that several of our 6S parts are no longer compatible with V5 or EXB versions of the Kraton. However, we do not presently have plans for newer version RPM parts that will fit the V5 & EXB just yet. I apologize for the bad news. We may work on replacements early next year.

Take care and thank you for your interest and support of RPM products. If you have any other questions or comments, please feel free to send us another e-mail.
Interesting

Day 4:

Day 4 was almost all about getting the body all done. As mentioned before Ive had plans of installing LED's in this as well but with a different set of front ones. I went with some bullet shaped Halo type LED's that have a switch built in. You can switch between just running the outer Halo light, or the Halo light and the main inner bright lights. So I started by figuring out how I would be wiring them then connecting the front and rears into one lead that connects to the lead I had already made and ran out of the receiver box. Then it was just hot gluing the front and rears to the body. This took a couple hours but it came out nice. In the past Ive had the hot glue come loose from the body so what I do now to prevent that is run a bead of super glue all around the outer edges of the hot glue. Then I just set the body aside while all the glue cures.

Next I wanted to adjust the shocks some more. Even with the 80 wt they were a bit too soft. So I added some more preload so it wouldnt sag as much. Then reinstalled the shock covers. I then vented and sealed the tires using gorilla tape and a piece of brass pipe that had the edges sharpened. This in a drill bit makes for perfect vent holes. After all this was done the body was OK to handle with all the glue dry so I applied several decals. I really like how it came out. This was pretty much the end of the build except for the ESC cutting out issue I described in the thread here. I was able to fix this by fixing a loose pin in the LED power lead and moving the other end of the lead off the bind port to one of the open channels. Once this was done it was good to go. For now I only have one other thing planned and that is the new EXB basher bumper I ordered. Ill be installing that and seeing how it compares to the RPM. I had to modify and dremel the RPM one to make it lay flush and the new EXB one is made for the V5 chassis with its wider diff bumps. So thats it. Ill probably update this as I think of or need new parts but this has been a great build. Now onto the bashing!!.

32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
41.jpg
40.jpg

43.jpg
42.jpg
44.jpg
45.jpg
46.jpg

47.jpg
48.jpg
49.jpg
50.jpg
51.jpg
52.jpg
53.jpg
54.jpg
55.jpg
56.jpg
57.jpg
58.jpg
59.jpg
60.jpg

Day 5:

Final day of build. When I installed the LED's I forgot I had wanted to reinforce the body so I decided to do it after the LED's were done. So I bought from drywall tape and Shoe Goo and got to it. Heres pics of the body fully completed with LED's and reinforcement. Should last awhile. I didnt use the tape and glue on the LED's so I could replace the lights if needed. Ive had to do this in the past and just used a heat gun and was able to pull the bad LED out and replace it. Anyway thats the end of the build for now. Heres some pics.

20201219_050431.jpg
20201219_050456.jpg
20201218_033041.jpg
20201219_050443.jpg

Niiiice

Great build you done.

I love Black Notos. So much Attitude.
Alot fun wheelies and tricks easy done also

Last day of build?

The last thing I wanted to do for this build was try out the new EXB basher bumper part #ARA320573. So after searching several places I got lucky and found one shop online that had some in stock. At the time they were out of stock at all the normal places. Anyway I got it and installed it. It does not come with any of the hardware so you will need your own. For reference it requires the following screws: (2) AR722312 or equivalent, (2) AR722316 or equivalent, (2) AR722320 or equivalent, (2) AR721316 or equivalent, and (3) AR722416 or equivalent. Thankfully I already all of these in my extra screws. The install was straight forward and I like the way it installs. Very secure, and since its designed for the new V5 chassis the diff hump wasnt an issue like it was with the RPM I had on before this. I took it out for a bash and its holding up well. So I think Ill be sticking with this. Maybe if and when RPM updates there products for the V5's I might get their bumper and A-Arms. But for now this is perfect.

I also installed my Kraton V3 Minekawa tires for street runs so I can preserve the stock Backflips for dirt. And they work well. So anyway I think thats it for this build thread for now. Its been fun and came out great. The only last thing I need to do is install the 4S body post protectors I bought and the skids I won from @Camaroboy383 to finish the build so I can run the new body. Ive been running an old black Notorious body I had from my first Arrma which was the V4 Notorious.

20201223_160457.jpg
20201223_160505.jpg
20201223_160520.jpg
20201224_110754.jpg

How does the basher bumper look with the body on? Can you share a pic? Also looking for a new bumper for the v5 Notorious.

For me I love upgrading even parts that would probably be OK. Its all part of the hobby for me. I sent an email to RPM to ask if they were aware of the V5 chassis and rear A-Arms differences and if they had plans on updating those parts. Ill contacted T-Bone also.
Did you hear from RPM yet. I have the RPM but am waiting for my towers. I noticed it looked as if my links were to short though. Mine is the Kraton v5. Do you know what rear chassis brace I need? I think it's 98mm but now I'm not sure. Also, does that servo touch the chassis? With an aluminum servo mount, mine from Amazon 25g touches the chassis. Just wondering if yours sit up off it. That's a sweet build you did. Great job. Thanks for all the info!

Did you hear from RPM yet. I have the RPM but am waiting for my towers. I noticed it looked as if my links were to short though. Mine is the Kraton v5. Do you know what rear chassis brace I need? I think it's 98mm but now I'm not sure. Also, does that servo touch the chassis? With an aluminum servo mount, mine from Amazon 25g touches the chassis. Just wondering if yours sit up off it. That's a sweet build you did. Great job. Thanks for all the info!
Yes. RPM responded and said they have no current plans on updating the parts so they are compatible with the V5s. So I just stayed with stock since they are much more durable. The rear chassis brace you need for the Kraton is the 140mm for the Kraton and its part #ARA320567. The 98mm is the front one. For the Notorious build listed here I used the Hot Racing servo mount. It is high enough that the DS3225 servo does not hit. But I did have to use a spacer where the servo horn links with the steering link. Ive found that the perfect servo mount for the DS3225 servos is the EXB servo mount part #ARA320574. I used this on my EXB with a DS3235 servo and it fits perfect. I also just ordered another one for my Typhon 6s V5 I just bought which I will be using a DS3225 servo. Hope this helps.

Day 2:

For Day 2 I started with the shocks. I installed the Tekno ends and balls. Then dumped the stock fluids and filled with fresh Team Factory 80wt. I then installed the Dusty Motors shock covers. I installed the ESC and love that the new ESC has an extension from the fans power to connect to the dual motor fan. This eliminates a lot of the wiring I had to do with the V4. Next was installing the receiver box/ battery tray, HR center diff mounts and center diff, HR servo mount and the DS3225 servo with the HR steering link. Just like before this sits a bit higher so I had to use some plastic spacers and a longer screw to attach to the bellcrank. I installed the 14T D5 pinion and the dual motor fan onto the motor. Then the RPM wing mounts, wheelie bar with new bearings in wheels, and rear EXB chassis brace. I then installed the motor wiring the dual fan to the ESC's extension wire. Then bundled all the wires up and heat shrinked them. So as of the end of Day 2 I am about 80% done. Just need to install a few more things and then start with the body reinforcing, LEDs, and a new power wire to the receiver for the LEDs.

View attachment 113934View attachment 113935View attachment 113936View attachment 113937

View attachment 113944View attachment 113945
do you have a link to the heatsink with dual fans, or did you make it?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back