Limitless The ideal body for speed runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're correct on that point!
No matter how stiff the spring steel may be , it will hit it's harmonics -eventually- at one of those break neck speeds (155+MPH)...

When the wind tunnel and moving treadmill surface is built & activated, he would take RC aerodynamics design/testing to the next level ,for sure.

Don't beat yourself up..

Had I stayed focused and REALLY explore all the lab equipments that was available to me when I was back at the University ,way back when.. (And comprehended their use AND had the balls to roll up in there as a freshmen to Just Do It! Especially knowing what I know now.)
Man, all the crazy schiithings and experiments I would have done.

Hey now, YOU came onto this forum on your own free will.
No one here is twisting your arms..

I'm no siren, so IF you hear a 3D Printer calling your name, that's on you.
😉
I was thinking maybe something with a dampener and spring like a shock to allow the travel of the wing to go flat under a high load. I wonder if it’s been tried before. I know lots of people have done active aero with a servo, but never seen a passive setup.

When the wind tunnel and moving treadmill surface is built & activated, he would take RC aerodynamics design/testing to the next level ,for sure.
@LibertyMKiii maybe you should build this wind tunnel with moving treadmill. Then you can charge TRX, Arrma, TA, Hobao and every other manufacturer else tens of thousands of dollars for a week of using your lab!!! :LOL:
I was thinking maybe something with a dampener and spring like a shock to allow the travel of the wing to go flat under a high load. I wonder if it’s been tried before. I know lots of people have done active aero with a servo, but never seen a passive setup.
Something with the idea of a friction shock would also likely do the trick. A coil spring with a two piece hinge pin that are slightly pressed against each other. Would have movement, but friction depending, you could dampen out the changes.

Last edited:
@LibertyMKiii maybe you should build this wind tunnel with moving treadmill. Then you can charge TRX, Arrma, TA, Hobao and every other manufacturer else tens of thousands of dollars for a week of using your lab!!! :LOL:

Maybe just build a "working" prototype..
It doesn't even have to be Fully functional.

The idea alone is worth their investment, to not get left behind by their competition from being "one upped" with hard data gathered through Actual Wind Tunnel testing!

On a serious note-
LibertyMKiii and I have already discuss the ideas of using repurposed treadmill parts to come up with a "rolling surface" for proper wind tunnel testing.

Maybe just build a "working" prototype..
It doesn't even have to be Fully functional.

The idea alone is worth their investment, to not get left behind by their competition from being "one upped" with hard data gathered through Actual Wind Tunnel testing!

On a serious note-
LibertyMKiii and I have already discuss the ideas of using repurposed treadmill parts to come up with a "rolling surface" for proper wind tunnel testing.

I already am playing catchup just for the lack of a good road.
In speed running it honestly goes in this order for success:

1. Amazing road
2. Strong LiPos
3. Make tons of power

You don't really need a tunnel for some basic comparison testing. I have 3 leaf blowers and would just need the scales and rigging to take measurements.

I already am playing catchup just for the lack of a good road.
In speed running it honestly goes in this order for success:

1. Amazing road
2. Strong LiPos
3. Make tons of power

You don't really need a tunnel for some basic comparison testing. I have 3 leaf blowers and would just need the scales and rigging to take measurements.

Yes, THAT's Real World testing...

But, if you want a Controlled Environment to gather useable data from New RC Designs WITHOUT the potential of wrecking/crashing/catching fire -while pushing the limits of said new design(s), then a working wind tunnel would be a good substitute.

Alright.. so here's the result of the single wall-layer print ,at 50% scale.

IMG_20220721_080920210_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220721_085618006.jpg

IMG_20220721_111809754_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220721_114615371_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220721_114551765.jpg

IMG_20220721_114603630.jpg

IMG_20220721_114549188.jpg

IMG_20220721_114530831_HDR.jpg

Just throwing this into the mix but what are your thoughts on the shape of this body minus the rear wing flap
A1FE207B-B931-49A1-BEEB-F0502BC3818D.jpeg
FCE4732B-C012-4CE0-9936-90B8F307717C.png

I like the shape of the front, not quite as aggressive as the fc100,
I also like the ridges on either side that will definitely stabilize the car.
Only issue I see is the area in the center on each side of the bubble is quite low, possible issue fitting batteries

Last edited:
Just throwing this into the mix but what are your thoughts on the shape of this body minus the rear wing flap
View attachment 231082View attachment 231083
I like the shape of the front, not quite as aggressive as the fc100,
I also like the ridges on either side that will definitely stabilize the car.
Only issue I see is the area in the center on each side of the bubble is quite low, possible issue fitting batteries

I like it a lot in some areas like you said the built-in vertical fins and overall slim profile. I believe this is the lowest overall height body I have seen when talking about fitting down close to the diffs and batteries. I even like the driver's canopy but the front end needs some smoothing. That bumper area is hideous and the transition to the wheel arches is too aggressive.

This dome body is on my list of possible next projects.

I like it a lot in some areas like you said the built-in vertical fins and overall slim profile. I believe this is the lowest overall height body I have seen when talking about fitting down close to the diffs and batteries. I even like the driver's canopy but the front end needs some smoothing. That bumper area is hideous and the transition to the wheel arches is too aggressive.

This dome body is on my list of possible next projects.

Agreed.

I think some simple wedge shapes added to those areas in the front will definitely fix those blunt transitions.

FCE4732B-C012-4CE0-9936-90B8F307717C.png

View attachment 231228

My Dome body is still in plastic as i haven't decided how to deal with the front. I was also thinking about some wedges

Take some photos of the body with a ruler ,at these areas..

Speed Body Measurements.png

So I can have some measurements.
I'll see what can be done.

Take some photos of the body with a ruler ,at these areas..

So I can have some measurements.
I'll see what can be done.
This should help:

1658509331224.png

1658509637588.png

1658509664485.png

1658509694422.png

You could extend the diffuser out and just gorilla tape across the front 😂
Those COB leds will beam straight through gorilla tape ;)

Here's a draft of what I'm thinking..
an AeroWedge

View attachment 231725

View attachment 231726

It's like a cap that slips over the frontal edge..
To help smooth out the transitions.
Maybe.
I think the front edge just needs a lip followed by a tiny wedge. Your wedge should not have that flat surface behind it.
The side are now wedged outwards. I am thinking of making the front straight and put little verts at the side, so all it scoops adds downforce instead of flowing to the side.

Maybe.
I think the front edge just needs a lip followed by a tiny wedge. Your wedge should not have that flat surface behind it.
The side are now wedged outwards. I am thinking of making the front straight and put little verts at the side, so all it scoops adds downforce instead of flowing to the side.

I don't have the particular body to demonstrate with exactly.. But, the AeroWedge is suppose to slip over a portion of the actual body (by 25 to 30mm) to match up to the basic contours of the frontal shell.
The "flat surface behind" would not be there once the body mates into it..

Think of a wedged cover, that slips over the blunted surfaces.
(It'll double as an aerodynamic appliance and a body 'front edge' protector of sorts..)

It's just a draft ,adjustments to the design is expected to the actual body ,of course.
The amount of wedge you see can be fine tuned.

I don't have the particular body to demonstrate with exactly.. But, the AeroWedge is suppose to slip over a portion of the actual body (by 25 to 30mm) to match up to the basic contours of the frontal shell.
The "flat surface behind" would not be there once the body mates into it..

Think of a wedged cover, that slips over the blunted surfaces.
(It'll double as an aerodynamic appliance and a body 'front edge' protector of sorts..)

It's just a draft ,adjustments to the design is expected to the actual body ,of course.
The amount of wedge you see can be fine tuned.
Sorry, me being ill today doesn't really make me the sharpest tool in the shed.
Great effort first of all!

I get the gest of it now. I guess the gap in the middle confused me some.

1658757107677.png

I had something like this in mind that would blend into the front fenders but keep the center low and smooth. Also smoothing the front lower bumper area. This is very crude! Probably gets the idea across? I'd probably sculpt something but such a thing could probably be 3d printed....

1658760560312.png

I had something like this in mind that would blend into the front fenders but keep the center low and smooth. Also smoothing the front lower bumper area. This is very crude! Probably gets the idea across? I'd probably sculpt something but such a thing could probably be 3d printed....

View attachment 231855
Thats exactly what i was trying to discribe in my first response

View attachment 231855
Thats exactly what i was trying to discribe in my first response

Ah..
Okay, that's very doable.

@LibertyMKiii ,did you regain access to Fusion360 yet..?
or do you mind if I take a crack at your concept idea??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back