The Kraton 8s is underpriced..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Lane

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
Having been into large scale for years, your getting way more truck than what your paying for. This is my first and only Arrma. At this price my only assumption would be Arrma deliberately priced matched the Xmax 8s to get some market share. I would guess low margin sales on the vehicle, then make up the difference in upgrade parts. Sitting side by side in the hobby shop there really is no comparison between vehicles. I could easily see the Kraton 8s selling at $1100. I'm actually thankful I bought one, I feel like I stole it. if they become wildly popular I wouldn't be surprised to see the price increase.
To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Now for the same boring stock Arrma pictures. ???

Attachments

• 20191207_062513.jpg
    20191207_062513.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 20191207_073028.jpg
    20191207_073028.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 128
Having been into large scale for years, your getting way more truck than what your paying for. This is my first and only Arrma. At this price my only assumption would be Arrma deliberately priced matched the Xmax 8s to get some market share. I would guess low margin sales on the vehicle, then make up the difference in upgrade parts. Sitting side by side in the hobby shop there really is no comparison between vehicles. I could easily see the Kraton 8s selling at $1100. I'm actually thankful I bought one, I feel like I stole it. if they become wildly popular I wouldn't be surprised to see the price increase.
To say I'm impressed would be an understatement. Now for the same boring stock Arrma pictures. ???

I wish they charged $1100 and used an M2C-like chassis. It would have made the truck virtually bulletproof. But you are right about them wanting to keep it priced like the Xmaxx. No way they could have done that if they went with a better chassis or even rubber sealed bearings that people are clamoring for. And while the transmitter doesn't have the greatest feel due to the plastic wheel, it's decent and unlike the 6s, 4s and 3s off road trucks you don't need to replace the receiver if you want a better Spektrum radio.

If someone is complaining about the price I would bet dollars to donuts they've never owned a large scale RC before. And I'd bet my right nut they've never seen the Kraton 8s in person ?

Imagine the reaction if someone posted the following:

"I don't see the point of a Kraton 6S. It's just a bigger version of my Kraton 4S and it brings nothing new to the table. I can do everything it can do with my 4S. Plus the 6S is $150 more and you don't even get sealed bearings!!! Unreal! The metal chassis bends. The shock towers bend. The steering plate bends. The shock rod ends break. The standoffs break. The center brace bends. You need to dump hundreds of dollars into it to make it bash worthy. I'll stick with my 4S, thank you very much."

How do you think that would go over? ??? Yet somehow the same argument is being used against the 8S. The 8S is so much better engineered than the 6S it's not even funny. And I love my 6S trucks. I'm just being honest.

Last edited:
"I don't see the point of a Kraton 6S. It's just a bigger version of my Kraton 4S and it brings nothing new to the table. I can do everything it can do with my 6S. Plus the 6S is $150 more and you don't even get sealed bearings!!! Unreal! The metal chassis bends. The shock towers bend. The steering plate bends. The shock rod ends break. The standoffs break. The center brace bends. You need to dump hundreds of dollars into it to make it bash worthy. I'll stick with my 4S, thank you very much."

I don’t think there is a better analogy than that right there. Well said @bicketybam.

I called my LHS earlier to see if they had the K8S in stock to just go and put my hands on it but he said he isn’t allowing any demos of any kind. He said it’s just a Kraton. Kinda bummed and kinda bewildered.......

I wish they charged $1100 and used an M2C-like chassis. It would have made the truck virtually bulletproof. But you are right about them wanting to keep it priced like the Xmaxx. No way they could have done that if they went with a better chassis or even rubber sealed bearings that people are clamoring for. And while the transmitter doesn't have the greatest feel due to the plastic wheel, it's decent and unlike the 6s, 4s and 3s off road trucks you don't need to replace the receiver if you want a better Spektrum radio.

If someone is complaining about the price I would bet dollars to donuts they've never owned a large scale RC before. And I'd bet my right nut they've never seen the Kraton 8s in person ?

"I don't see the point of a Kraton 6S. It's just a bigger version of my Kraton 4S and it brings nothing new to the table. I can do everything it can do with my 6S. Plus the 6S is $150 more and you don't even get sealed bearings!!! Unreal! The metal chassis bends. The shock towers bend. The steering plate bends. The shock rod ends break. The standoffs break. The center brace bends. You need to dump hundreds of dollars into it to make it bash worthy. I'll stick with my 4S, thank you very much."

How do you think that would go over? ??? Yet somehow the same argument is being used against the 8S. The 8S is so much better engineered than the 6S it's not even funny. And I love my 6S trucks. I'm just being honest.
When everyone was saying that about the 8s Kraton I kept thinking to myself "I hope you don't have a 1/8 or 1/10 rc car when you could get a 1/28 Associated car for $55 when 1/8 and 1/10 brings nothing else to the table but costing more money."

But I stayed out of it as I didn't want to get into it with the people that don't understand large scale and that it isn't cheap. For large scale the Kraton 8s actually appears to be a good value.

I do kind of wish that they wouldn't have called it a 1/5 scale though and called it a 1/6 as its smaller than pretty much every 1/5 scale vehicle I've seen.

I do kind of wish that they wouldn't have called it a 1/5 scale though and called it a 1/6 as its smaller than pretty much every 1/5 scale vehicle I've seen.
I don't know but this entire scale stuff is rubbish if you ask me - most don't exist so its not to scale at all just fits a range/description

I agree with all of the above, was really the point of this post. There is immense value in this rig in stock form. Intuitive engineering, some true effort was put into the design of this. Also seeing what some of the negatives people are saying to justify NOT purchasing a K8s. Most of those arguments could be made about any RC. This isn't for everyone and its going to be expensive, but no more expensive than upgrading any other vehicle (when comparing purchase price to money in upgrades). I like reading people's opinions, I joined this very group for that reason, and decided to buy based on that. I knew I wanted a K8s, once seeing Ed's pictures and videos. Sealed the deal, there is some very beefy parts and I appreciated the way it was put together. As far as the transmitter meh! I can't imagine someone buying this that doesn't have at least one or two go to transmitters. Bearings they all have a life span, when the oem go, buy two kits from FastEddy, one for now and one for later. As far as the chassis bending, what would anyone expect, when your launching something this size and getting air like we see on youtube.
If I run this like my other 1/5 scales I'll probably never bend the chassis or supports. If I do I'll post about it. Speaking for myself, I'm pleased with my purchase, it was between this and the Losi DBXL-E 2.0. I feel like I bought a $1100+ dollar Rc for $900.

"I don't see the point of a Kraton 6S. It's just a bigger version of my Kraton 4S and it brings nothing new to the table. I can do everything it can do with my 4S. Plus the 6S is $150 more and you don't even get sealed bearings!!! Unreal! The metal chassis bends. The shock towers bend. The steering plate bends. The shock rod ends break. The standoffs break. The center brace bends. You need to dump hundreds of dollars into it to make it bash worthy. I'll stick with my 4S, thank you very much."

I respectfully disagree with the 4s vs 6s opinion. For $150 more or whatever it is, you get a platform that can be modded with a few hundred dollars that is way stronger than a plastic 4s rig will ever be. Once you have a chassis, towers and a few mounts the 6s is stronger than any other car on the market.. If you don't want to spend close to $1000 and want a "daily basher" then yes the 4s rig is a better option... But, if you want a beast that can take a beating, there is no comparison IMHO.

I respectfully disagree with the 4s vs 6s opinion. For $150 more or whatever it is, you get a platform that can be modded with a few hundred dollars that is way stronger than a plastic 4s rig will ever be. Once you have a chassis, towers and a few mounts the 6s is stronger than any other car on the market.. If you don't want to spend close to $1000 and want a "daily basher" then yes the 4s rig is a better option... But, if you want a beast that can take a beating, there is no comparison IMHO.
You missed my point. I agree it's a silly comparison (4S to the 6D) but it's the same one people are using with the 8S. Dude. Go check out an 8S and you will see how it makes a stock 6S rig look like weaksauce.

You missed my point. I agree it's a silly comparison (4S to the 6D) but it's the same one people are using with the 8S. Dude. Go check out an 8S and you will see how it makes a stock 6S rig look like weaksauce.

Yeah, I get the the price comparison 100%..! Ive seen what your 4s rigs can take... I also see the product you are getting in the 8s for $900 vs a $550 setup in the 6s... I am not disagreeing with that at all... My only argument is the potential. The 6s has the most potential "if you are prepared to spend $900-1000"

I agree that dollar for dollar your Kraton 6s will be more durable than an 8s. Mostly likely even with the exact same upgrades on each. The Kraton 8s wasn't marketed as a Kraton 6s killer. It's a totally different platform, that can't be fairly compared. They ONLY share the same name, which I thought was foolish from the beginning. It lends itself to being compared against, while it's totally different.

There is some Irony in the Arrma forum. The forum said K8s could be a"Traxxas Killer", into the new Arrma K8s sucks, and I won't buy it, the 6s is better because... ?

Yeah, I get the the price comparison 100%..! Ive seen what your 4s rigs can take... I also see the product you are getting in the 8s for $900 vs a $550 setup in the 6s... I am not disagreeing with that at all... My only argument is the potential. The 6s has the most potential "if you are prepared to spend $900-1000"
Potential for what? The 8S platform had the potential to be a 12S large scale beast. It just needs a better chassis and bracing system.

Look, I love the 6S rigs and for most people they are all you will ever need.
I agree that dollar for dollar your Kraton 6s will be more durable than an 8s. Mostly likely even with the exact same upgrades on each. The Kraton 8s wasn't marketed as a Kraton 6s killer. It's a totally different platform, that can't be fairly compared. They ONLY share the same name, which I thought was foolish from the beginning. It lends itself to being compared against, while it's totally different.

There is some Irony in the Arrma forum. The forum said K8s could be a"Traxxas Killer", into the new Arrma K8s sucks, and I won't buy it, the 6s is better because... ?
I think we all know why this is.

Potential for what? The 8S platform had the potential to be a 12S large scale beast. It just needs a better chassis and bracing system.

Look, I love the 6S rigs and for most people they are all you will ever need.

the potential to jump them off big jumps over and over and over again. The only thing I do with these things.

maybe read my first reply over... I never said anything about the 8s... I specifically said 4s vs 6s

the potential to jump them off big jumps over and over and over again. The only thing I do with these things.

maybe read my first reply over... I never said anything about the 8s... I specifically said 4s vs 6s
But I did mention the 6s that you were referring to.
"The Kraton 8s wasn't marketed as a Kraton 6s killer. It's a totally different platform, that can't be fairly compared. They ONLY share the same name, which I thought was foolish from the beginning. It lends itself to being compared against, while it's totally different."

People are saying there's no point in getting an 8S Kraton because it's just a larger version of the 6S Kraton (which it's not). I was trying to show that saying that is as absurd as saying the 6s Kraton is just a larger version of the 4s Kraton. Follow??

People are saying there's no point in getting an 8S Kraton because it's just a larger version of the 6S Kraton (which it's not). I was trying to show that saying that is as absurd as saying the 6s Kraton is just a larger version of the 4s Kraton. Follow??

I followed the first 2 times.... I never said anything about the 8s truck in the first place... I don't even know how this thread went in this direction. This is just annoying now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back