The Limited Limitless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about that as well!!!! Today I actually opened up castle link and was going to retard it to 80%. I kept bouncing back and forth in my head as to whether or not using the esc as a limiter will be more burdensome on the esc than continuing to increase tooth count. I was going to call Castle today and see if I could speak with a tech to further inquire about that. ( that was my cop-out.....It's too damn cold to be outside "testing.")

I wonder if @robert@castle might be able to speak to the effect on the esc, if any, by using it as a rev limiter.
If you are anywhere near the limit of your ESC or motor, I would not recommend anyone turn down the max power or turning down the radio. Partial throttle is significantly harder on the ESC than full throttle. It will show a lower amperage in the logs, but the current sensors in the ESC are taking an average current. The instantaneous current going through the motor are scaled by throttle percentage. So if you are at 80% throttle, the motor would be getting 20% more current in pulses than the log will report.
It can be a useful way to limit torque or top speed in lower power setups, but I would recommend playing around with punch control or torque limit to increase control while accelerating and use a smaller pinon to control top speed.

Great work, I like that battery tray you made. I might have to do the same.
I have been holding off on flipping the motor mount, but it really opens up the chassis a lot once you do.
If you want the STL let me know. It's available for anyone that wants it. When I stop being lazy I'm going to drop it on Thingiverse.

I've been running the Limited on 8s and have not been able to keep the rpm at 47k or below. I'm going to run this on 6s. On 6s with dual 40mm fans I can almost get through an entire pack before the motor hits 180. For the circuit we do and time it takes that seems like it should work. It's also only 40 degrees outside. Im not sure this will hold true during the summer. With better grip in the warmer months I imagine being able to drop the pinion down.

There is something to be said for sensored motors on a track vs hooning around. I find the car lurches or is a bit unpredictable when exiting turns from slow speed. I'm going to order a sensored version of this 4060 in the 15** kv range and may put this 1750 in another vehicle.

Got the Savox 1230 installed. It ALMOST fit, but ultimately, like the typhon it required spacers. I chucked some delrin into the lathe bored it out and cut them to 5mm. Servo fits great and is as some of you may know, STRONG!! I hve also remove the BLX2050 and installed a 1717 1650KV sensored Castle motor. I've pulled the body... Blue isn't for her. It doesn't match her eyes. I'm working on that now. Hopefully I can finish it all up in the next few weeks. As soon as fall hits, it's on. No parking lot will be safe! Right now i'm explorirng options for the rear wing. Contemplating removing the sides and just installing a carbon fiber wing on top.

View attachment 96392
I have that servo in my Tra##as TRX4 crawler.... it has bookoo brass down low, especially up front and on steer wheels..... the 1230 does JUST FINE!!! NOOOOOO problem.... (was lookin for your thread about the 8S Spectrum motor when I stumbled across this....)

I just took my Limited out again here recently. I was inspired by another member and I'm going to turn it into a speed runner. It was fun as a parking lot pounder but I have a GT car for that now. It is also a lot easier to keep in a straight line!

Ordered a PPS motor mount and a Delta C8 body. Going to run a TP Power 4070 1520kv wye wind on 8s. Got my fans installed on the can. I may add some spacers to lift them up higher if the C8 allows.

34 spool (have a 29 and a 25 also)
Not sure on the pinion yet
Probably just going 1:1
GRP tires. May need s4 compound

I feel like I need a aluminum servo mount to compliment the servo.

And I need to paint the body. Going 200k in the front and rear diffs. 70wt in the rear 60 in the front (shocks). I'll tune from there.

20210815_190817.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-184813_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-184858_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-225430_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @PPS-RC for the mount. Beautifully machined and I'm loving the range! Thanks to @jondilly1974 for tossing up the light bar. I grabbed three of them. Mounted one on the back of the Limited to help with orientation. Haven't taken it outside yet but it's bright. I have officially named it the 'DillyBar.'

Still waiting on my servo to show up and then explore mounting options. I'm probably going to remove the entire servo mount / radio / esc mount and go with standoffs. There is so much wasted space in that area.

DSC_1764.JPG

DSC_1765.JPG

So where did you get that light bar?? Looks good! I bought an Infraction V2 and I just don’t know what I want to do with it yet. It does have a drag brake, so I may play with the drifting a little, but I would also like to cut up some parking lots around me….mostly churches and schools around here with decent space and somewhat smooth, depending mostly to which church lot i go to!! LoL.

I really liked reading through this log and the journey you took along the way. I am going to run stock motor/ESC, cause I am now broke from picking up a Talion too. I do hope to play around with the gearing to find the sweet spot….but I LOVE the graphing from your ESC!! Talk about getting to know your numbers! And Castle has been a GREAT asset to the RC motor/ESC world for YEARS! I am so glad to see them active on this website!!!
I guess I need to save up some scratch and pick up an X___ ESC and can. Again, thank you so much for the complete (not finished!) build log you have done here…. Bravo! I need to get off my butt and start recording my progress. If not for what few forum peeps that will read them, more for my kids and grandkids. Just maybe, it will interest them enough to get to know me better and fall in love with my favorite hobby too.

Thanks @PPS-RC for the mount. Beautifully machined and I'm loving the range! Thanks to @jondilly1974 for tossing up the light bar. I grabbed three of them. Mounted one on the back of the Limited to help with orientation. Haven't taken it outside yet but it's bright. I have officially named it the 'DillyBar.'

Still waiting on my servo to show up and then explore mounting options. I'm probably going to remove the entire servo mount / radio / esc mount and go with standoffs. There is so much wasted space in that area.

View attachment 165160

View attachment 165161
That was my childhood nickname 🤣🤘🏻

So where did you get that light bar?? Looks good! I bought an Infraction V2 and I just don’t know what I want to do with it yet. It does have a drag brake, so I may play with the drifting a little, but I would also like to cut up some parking lots around me….mostly churches and schools around here with decent space and somewhat smooth, depending mostly to which church lot i go to!! LoL.

I really liked reading through this log and the journey you took along the way. I am going to run stock motor/ESC, cause I am now broke from picking up a Talion too. I do hope to play around with the gearing to find the sweet spot….but I LOVE the graphing from your ESC!! Talk about getting to know your numbers! And Castle has been a GREAT asset to the RC motor/ESC world for YEARS! I am so glad to see them active on this website!!!
I guess I need to save up some scratch and pick up an X___ ESC and can. Again, thank you so much for the complete (not finished!) build log you have done here…. Bravo! I need to get off my butt and start recording my progress. If not for what few forum peeps that will read them, more for my kids and grandkids. Just maybe, it will interest them enough to get to know me better and fall in love with my favorite hobby too.
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it! Nice score on the infraction. I hope it brings you as much joy as the rest of us.
Here is a link to the DillyBar.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093SKZSN...abc_HZ4SB02JGP0XG2XT7FX6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Added spacers to the servo to level the arm. I was able to sleeve all my cabling so it didn't look like a bomb went off inside the car. 3d printed a switch mount for the MMX8S, permanently mounted GPS box, and locked out the rear shocks using nitro fuel tubing.

Body mounts, paint, center brace........and I 🤔 I'll be done.

20210826_221804.jpg

20210826_222323.jpg

Nice setup man think the servos a bit overkill though lol as not much turning power needed going straight on a speed run 😂 curious to see what kind of numbers you can put up with it 👍

Nice setup man think the servos a bit overkill though lol as not much turning power needed going straight on a speed run 😂 curious to see what kind of numbers you can put up with it 👍
I needed it to match the motor mount! 😆🤣😂 I'm actually not joking. I decided if I was going to spend 100$ bucks on a motor mount from a board member that functions as good as it looks, I should do the same for the steering.

I pulled a Savox 1230Ssg out of it. That's almost 500 tq on 6v. That was not necessary either but all of my servos are 1230sg except this one. I got hooked on them with my 1/10 crawlers and have just stuck with them.

That and I like the black and raw aluminum contrast. I'm strongly considering cutting that cap pack out and replacing it with a black one. I also want to remove the red anodizing. My first step towards that was the easiest. I bought a basherqueen carbon fiber center brace. If I don't do it now, it's never going to get done. I've already taken the shocks apart 3 times.....

I'm looking forward to speed running this. As a parking lot pounder (go kart track), it's immediately apparent how much more stable the Limitless is while accelerating rapidly. I say this coming from a swb Typhon that I've had in the low 130s. As a parking lot pounder it is very easy to see how squirly the Typhon can be. Im curious to see where this goes myself. Into the ditch? A pond? I think I'll be chasing higher speeds if it is as stable as I belive it to be over the Typhon.

Last edited:
I needed it to match the motor mount! 😆🤣😂 I'm actually not joking. I decided if I was going to spend 100$ bucks on a motor mount from a board member that functions as good as it looks, I should do the same for the steering.

I pulled a Savox 1230Ssg out of it. That's almost 500 tq on 6v. That was not necessary either but all of my servos are 1230sg except this one. I got hooked on them with my 1/10 crawlers and have just stuck with them.

That and I like the black and raw aluminum contrast. I'm strongly considering cutting that cap pack out and replacing it with a black one. I also want to remove the red anodizing. My first step towards that was the easiest. I bought a basherqueen carbon fiber center brace. If I don't do it now, it's never going to get done. I've already taken the shocks apart 3 times.....

I'm looking forward to speed running this. As a parking lot pounder (go kart track), it's immediately apparent how much more stable the Limitless is while accelerating rapidly. I say this coming from a swb Typhon that I've had in the low 130s. As a parking lot pounder is very easy to see how squirly the Typhon can be. Im curious to see where this goes myself. Into the ditch? A pond? I think I'll be chasing higher speeds if it is as stable as I belive it to be over the Typhon.
Compared to the Typhon well there's no comparison lol. I started speed running with a Typhon then went to GT body on it and still for me was hard to get it running super straight consistently. I got my Limitless and it was like night and day! It took very little adjusting after getting the suspension and toe/camber set right to get it going down the road straight as an arrow. I really love my Limitless and hope to push 150mph this year open wheel🤞 so far at 138 and have had issues last 3 months. Really hope I got the issue figured out now though so I can start climbing again.

Compared to the Typhon well there's no comparison lol. I started speed running with a Typhon then went to GT body on it and still for me was hard to get it running super straight consistently. I got my Limitless and it was like night and day! It took very little adjusting after getting the suspension and toe/camber set right to get it going down the road straight as an arrow. I really love my Limitless and hope to push 150mph this year open wheel🤞 so far at 138 and have had issues last 3 months. Really hope I got the issue figured out now though so I can start climbing again.
I've been watching your videos since you began posting them. You are doing great, however.........I hope to walk you down here shortly 😀😉!!! Sounds like you've confirmed my thoughts about the stability of the Limitless.

My biggest issue now is where to run. I have one spot that I'm comfortable hitting 100 but since things have opened back up I can't use the same roads I've used for higher speeds.

I've been watching your videos since you began posting them. You are doing great, however.........I hope to walk you down here shortly 😀😉!!! Sounds like you've confirmed my thoughts about the stability of the Limitless.

My biggest issue now is where to run. I have one spot that I'm comfortable hitting 100 but since things have opened back up I can't use the same roads I've used for higher speeds.
Thanks man I appreciate it! And I hope you do push up there it's nice to have competition and to push each other to do better and higher👊 Ya that's something I'm definitely very lucky to have but also my road had got a lot of cracks so been kinda thinking about looking for a new spot especially with wanting to push up to 150. Well good luck on a road man and I look forward to seeing how that sweet ride does!

I have had a few people tell me at speeds of 150+ a strong servo becomes more necessary.
But then I have seen people also run 150 with the factory Arrma servo.... sooooo who knows!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back