The new castle xlx2 fan is a complete joke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajag

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton 6s
  7. Notorious
  8. Outcast 8s
  9. Outcast 6s
  10. Outcast 4s
  11. Talion
  12. Typhon 6s
I took this video for a buddy of mine who has an xlx2 also and he was worried because it doesn’t always turn on..I’m guessing it comes on with a heat sensor
But why bother.. this fan is a complete joke and is a waste ..luckily I ordered the Alza racing dual
40mm fan mount a couple weeks ago so I’ll be using that

It’s the factory esc fan, they all kinda suck?

has anyone had any overheating issues with their xlx2’s yet? That’s the question I’m truly curious about ?
Yeah
I’m very familiar with the factory fans sucking
I haven’t had any thermal issues with my xlx2 yet but I don’t have any major bashing on it yet either and it’s cold in the northeast where I live.

I’m getting ready to do another video to compare some fans I have laying around
Like the spektrum firrma 160a esc fan along with some xlx fans and a bunch of others
Here’s a pic of the fans

image.jpg

Yeah, and I would expect much better for the price of that ESC. Everyone ends up use a fan mod with that XLX2. I think Its temp regulated, The fan gets throttled/switched with FET temp controlling. The fans output volts might even exceed the 7.4v you are using on the bench as temps exceed preset thresholds. But on the bench it is clearly lame. Does the Castle fan have any input volt specs labels on it? Curious. I just find it hard to beleive the fan is that lame?

Well, some cooling is better than none, but this looks like it barely does a thing, let alone help prevent thermal shutoff.
I think it is always good to go with those thicker fans with the higher CFM.
I hate those little flat axial fans, a fart pushes more air than those.

Yeah, and I would expect much better for the price of that ESC. Everyone ends up use a fan mod with that XLX2. I think Its temp regulated, The fan gets throttled/switched with FET temp controlling. The fans output volts might even exceed the 7.4v you are using on the bench as temps exceed preset thresholds. But on the bench it is clearly lame. Does the Castle fan have any input volt specs labels on it? Curious. I just find it hard to beleive the fan is that lame?
No markings on this fan at all
Here’s some pics

I’ll try it on 3s power
See how it does

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I just tried it directly into a 3s lipo
It’s better but still terrible

Last edited:
Everything I've heard about the XLX2 is that it's ability to keep everything cool without the fan is superb. Castle challenged the speed runners who tested it before its release to try and make the fan come on and no one could, even with back to back 100mph+ runs. So I wouldn't worry about it personally!

Max5 fan isn’t much better maybe worse most of the blades broke off on the first run with it. Any iggestions in aftermarket fan for max 5?

Max5 fan isn’t much better maybe worse most of the blades broke off on the first run with it. Any iggestions in aftermarket fan for max 5?
These are my go to fans

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/9hv0412p3k001/sanyo-denki

Also..Alza racing makes a dual fan mount fit the max 5..I bought one just haven’t installed it yet
Here what it looks like

if you’re curious about those favs here’s a vid I did

8730BAF3-1DB1-451F-A02C-61F79EB3717A.jpeg

Maybe. It's highly requested. But so is anything new from me haha. I did order an xlx2 today though for a little extra kick in the pants
I would think it’s much easier to design and produce than the other parts you have created. ??‍♂️✌?

I would think it’s much easier to design and produce than the other parts you have created. ??‍♂️✌?
You would think so. I could draw it up in a day.

The thin nature of the part makes it challenging to hold. So the fixture to hold it is where the real work is. And that can get complicated. I've been thinking about it for the past couple weeks and think I have a good plan. Good enough to invest in the xlx2 for R&D anyway.

As for this topic, not every fan needs to be a hovercraft to be effective. The only way that it would be a joke is if the xlx2 overheated every pack.

You would think so. I could draw it up in a day.

The thin nature of the part makes it challenging to hold. So the fixture to hold it is where the real work is. And that can get complicated. I've been thinking about it for the past couple weeks and think I have a good plan. Good enough to invest in the xlx2 for R&D anyway.

As for this topic, not every fan needs to be a hovercraft to be effective. The only way that it would be a joke is if the xlx2 overheated every pack.
I hear you ..I’m not saying the esc is a joke ..only the fan
I love this esc and have had zero heat issues with it..I only took it off because someone I know was asking me to look at the fan system.

you have to admit though that this is a pretty cheesy fan for such a nice esc

An Alza like the OP works with. (y)
No markings on this fan at all
Here’s some pics

I’ll try it on 3s power
See how it does

View attachment 110788

View attachment 110789

View attachment 110790
So I just tried it directly into a 3s lipo
It’s better but still terrible

Thanx for providing that Bench test.(y)

Everything I've heard about the XLX2 is that it's ability to keep everything cool without the fan is superb. Castle challenged the speed runners who tested it before its release to try and make the fan come on and no one could, even with back to back 100mph+ runs. So I wouldn't worry about it personally!
Now I am admittedly no speed runner, but I guess I am just curious why one would not just want the fan running? I mean even if it stays "cool" without, wouldn't it be even "cooler" with the fan running? The miniscule amp draw of the fan can't be a factor??? Just seems to me you'd want the static state of the fan to be at least a low speed.

I broke mine on the first run. I replaced it with a powerhobby smaller 40mm fan. Working good so far. It doesn't match or fit in the stock holes, but the stock plate and bolts keep the powerhobby fan in place

Anyone with the xlx 2 esc having issue with it not making the beeping noise? Mine just stopped making the beeping noise period. I have to look at the led light to make sure its blinking correct lipos. Everything else works like it’s supposed, btw I am also using 2028 1100kv sensored.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back