The new GRP’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan B.

Area man
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Typhon 6s
Ok, I know these are a go-to speed run tire and I’m new at that game. Yo, @LibertyMKiii I watched your YT review on the new ones, thanks for that. I read about the “new manufacturing process” that delivers a stiffer wheel that is perfectly balanced out of the bag. Your review seemed to confirm this. But The Question is: these wheels are speed rated at 63mph. Wait, what? I’ve read from many folks that these are good through the one hundred teens, but after that go to foams. But 63mph? What am I missing here? Speaking specifically of the new 1/8 GTJ03‘s in XM2/XM3 T03 Revo. Any insight would be appreciated. Don’t want to blow one of these at 64mph and upset my apple cart. 😊

Ok, I know these are a go-to speed run tire and I’m new at that game. Yo, @LibertyMKiii I watched your YT review on the new ones, thanks for that. I read about the “new manufacturing process” that delivers a stiffer wheel that is perfectly balanced out of the bag. Your review seemed to confirm this. But The Question is: these wheels are speed rated at 63mph. Wait, what? I’ve read from many folks that these are good through the one hundred teens, but after that go to foams. But 63mph? What am I missing here? Speaking specifically of the new 1/8 GTJ03‘s in XM2/XM3 T03 Revo. Any insight would be appreciated. Don’t want to blow one of these at 64mph and upset my apple cart. 😊
I think it’s a CYA thing. They realized what people were doing and didn’t want any more emails and such. I dunno. I don’t see how they could be worse than the old ones. I’d still stick to the “once you hit 120 switch to foams” advice. It’s a gamble. I blew out GRP’s at 120 but made successful 132mph runs with another set.

The OLD GRPs were good for at least 120mph and some rode them to 150’s. The new ones SHOULD do better than the old ones, but I haven’t ran mine yet to give a stamp of approval

I seem to have trouble with them coming unglued even after I sand them down and reglue myself. Luckily there has only been 1 blowout, but I would say after 3-5 runs I will notice the tires breaking free again on the bead. Recently its been the XM3 treaded hard rims that have been giving me the most trouble. My XM5 slicks and XM1 treaded (both hard rim) have been perfect for multiple 120+ passes. Think its about time I buy a foam truer and switch over the BSR or Racing Bananas foams. Its getting annoying trashing $50 sets of tires after 5 passes, especially when you reglue and balance them for another hour or so and GRP cant seem to be bothered to answer my emails in regards to their glue warranty on the tires.

63mph sure is an awfully specific speed rating. It's almost as though they checked with sanctioned raceways on what kinds of top speeds they were seeing and set their rating so as to cover sanctioned racing while cutting anyone going beyond those speeds out of any warranty claims. I'm not saying they're wrong to do so, I'm sure the speed running scene takes every part of RC cars to their limits and beyond. At some point you're in uncharted territory and I can understand why any aftermarket manufacturer would seek to protect themselves from any liability of the consequences. Yeah, 63mph is really low but, if we're honest, what rating would we not seek to break? 😜🤪

That speed rating is purely a cost savings/ warranty - Return merchandise deal. You cannot claim a warranty when used outside of the manufacturers rated speed use. For anyone new to speed running you will spend significant time in the 90 to 124mph range cutting your teeth, which is the ideal speed range for these tires. Once you are spending more time at 125+ then it is time to swap to BSR foams...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back